Why college football is better off without the BCS

I found this article this afternoon. Really good read if you haven't read it:

The actual transition to a playoff is long, long overdue, but there are things we'll miss about the deceased.

We'll miss that comedy of rationalization, the impossible-to-duplicate stupidity that pervaded the whole beast. The BCS was maddening, but it was hysterical, too.

It was so terrified of progress toward a playoff that it invented ludicrous and demonstrably untrue argument after ludicrous and demonstrably untrue argument, feigning concern over everything from player academics to cutting off the spigot of bowl games' charitable giving – which, in case you forgot, accounts for less than 2 percent of total revenue – and even the supposedly likelihood that Nick Saban would begin tanking the Iron Bowl. Yeah, sure he would.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/chuck-the-bcs-175022477.html?soc_src=mediacontentsharebuttons

I found this article this afternoon. Really good read if you haven't read it:

The actual transition to a playoff is long, long overdue, but there are things we'll miss about the deceased.

We'll miss that comedy of rationalization, the impossible-to-duplicate stupidity that pervaded the whole beast. The BCS was maddening, but it was hysterical, too.

It was so terrified of progress toward a playoff that it invented ludicrous and demonstrably untrue argument after ludicrous and demonstrably untrue argument, feigning concern over everything from player academics to cutting off the spigot of bowl games' charitable giving – which, in case you forgot, accounts for less than 2 percent of total revenue – and even the supposedly likelihood that Nick Saban would begin tanking the Iron Bowl. Yeah, sure he would.

http://sports.yahoo....entsharebuttons

Heh, great quotes and so true, good thing the ratings for this "championship" have been tanking or else we might have had another decade of this.

Also another crazy thing was that every year there was a controversy on who ended up in this game and next year the media acted surprised when it happened again, over and over.

People realize there's already a playoff, right? It's two teams that play-off for the championship. Can't wait til 2020 when we get to fill out our NCAA Football 64 team bracket picks and just say f#*k it and pay players.

Two teams is not a playoff, its a bowl, I dont care what drivel Bill Hancock spewed out as "fact".

• Fire 2

People realize there's already a playoff, right? It's two teams that play-off for the championship. Can't wait til 2020 when we get to fill out our NCAA Football 64 team bracket picks and just say f#*k it and pay players.

Two teams is not a playoff, its a bowl, I dont care what drivel Bill Hancock spewed out as "fact".

Two teams, in an artificially created championship game, is a playoff. I have never read anything by Bill Hancock, so I know not of which you speak. Bowl games have tie-ins, such as the Rose Bowl being B1G and PAC #, a playoff is seeded teams playing for a title. The BCS is #1 vs #2. Seeded. It's simple logic. If you can't follow that, then perhaps I'm not the one spewing drivel....

• Fire 2

Two teams, in an artificially created championship game, is a playoff. I have never read anything by Bill Hancock, so I know not of which you speak. Bowl games have tie-ins, such as the Rose Bowl being B1G and PAC #, a playoff is seeded teams playing for a title. The BCS is #1 vs #2. Seeded. It's simple logic. If you can't follow that, then perhaps I'm not the one spewing drivel....

Bill Hancock is not a writer, he is the head of the BCS

Name me one playoff in existence besides the BCS that has less than 4 teams. 2 teams is a game, one game. Playoff is a series of games. All seeding is generated somehow but "seeding" two teams isnt really seeding, its ranking. The BCS takes the two top schools and puts them in a game. By what definition is that a playoff.

I cant believe you got a plus one for that response.

• Fire 3

Please feel free to link to anyone else who shares this sentiment.

• Fire 1

Name me one playoff in existence besides the BCS that has less than 4 teams. 2 teams is a game, one game. Playoff is a series of games. All seeding is generated somehow but "seeding" two teams isnt really seeding, its ranking. The BCS takes the two top schools and puts them in a game. By what definition is that a playoff.

I cant believe you got a plus one for that response.

One game playoffs in baseball. That is what the BCS is, except the participants are picked by a very flawed process.

I have to provide citations for breaking down a process logically? It doesn't matter how many people say it, it's fact. There is a playoff RIGHT NOW. All that 2014 changes is doubling the size of the playoff. Want proof? 4 team playoff bracket...how many rounds are there? 2 right? Four teams play to get to two teams, two teams play for champion. Unless you're saying that the teams would play one playoff game and one bowl game? That's really your only argument here without conceding that I'm right.

I told you I didn't know who that was. Sorry I don't pay attention to who the personalities are on either side. I tend to look at things and break them down the way a person capable of intelligent thought does, rather than listen to ESPN pound "playoff, playoff, playoff" into my brain and then come and spew it to Huskerboard as fact.

According to Webster's Dictionary:

Play-off : a final contest or series of contests to determine the winner between contestants or teams that have tied

Can be either a game or a series of games. So.....your move I guess.

Any playoff has an arbitrary number of teams. You can't just say there isn't a playoff because you don't like the results of it. College football is trying to preserve some of the tradition that makes it what it is. Unfortunately for the rest of us, pedestrian fans, such as yourself, cry out for playoffs and other change that will ruin the sport.

Also, further disproving your point, baseball does have one game playoffs. Two teams play one game for the wildcard spot. There is also a one game playoff if two teams are tied for their division at the end of the season. Two teams, one game for the championship? Impossible. 1995 Redux says it can't be. Here's the thing though, college football already has several two team playoffs:

ACC Championship? Two team playoff.

B1G championship? Two team playoff.

C-USA Championship? Two team playoff.

MAC Championship? Two team playoff.

Mountain West Championship? Two team playoff.

PAC-12 Championship? Two team playoff.

SEC championship? Two team playoff.

SO, tell me Redux, when do we launch our campaign for conference tournaments? Team #3 in each conference must be pissed. They deserve their shot, don't they? Especially if the best two teams are in one division and they didn't get picked because of a...TIE BREAKER (dramatic music). That's more flawed than the BCS isn't it? Take a second and think on that.

• Fire 1

I have to provide citations for breaking down a process logically? It doesn't matter how many people say it, it's fact. There is a playoff RIGHT NOW. All that 2014 changes is doubling the size of the playoff. Want proof? 4 team playoff bracket...how many rounds are there? 2 right? Four teams play to get to two teams, two teams play for champion. Unless you're saying that the teams would play one playoff game and one bowl game? That's really your only argument here without conceding that I'm right.

Two teams play one game is ............a game.

4 teams play 3 total games is............a playoff

4 or more teams can be considered a playoff because its a series of games to determine the ultimate champion, the last team standing.

After the regular season is over and conference champions are crowned, no FBS team plays more than one game. They all play in a bowl game if they qualify. The top two teams are selected to play in A game. Not a series of games like the acronym BCS would suggest. I have never ever ever ever ever heard anyone call it the national playoff championship between......

They called it the BCS National championship game. Game as in singular, one.

Two team playoff may be the most contradicting phrase in all of sports. Two teams play a game every week but when its #1 vs #2 at the end of the year its a playoff?

No

• Fire 1