Why college football is better off without the BCS

I'm quite sure there won't be any blowback allowed on espn because it will be their investment. What will happen is a general malaise will creep in over the regular season. Instead of admitting that they rendered it irrelevant, big wigs will yak about how kids would rather be on tablets than in the stands, or the games taking too long, or we need a new Jumbotron. The football season will lose importance like college bball, and the powers won't want to hear that they engineered it themselves.

The NFL lets almost half their teams into the playoffs. And they play more regular season games than college football. And the regular season is HUGE. Again, this is not college basketball. The regular season is not going to be diminished in any way. I'm not sure why that's a talking point really

Just because those who oppose a playoff need a talking point. Doesn't have to have any basis in reality.

Same applies to those who say "We don't need a playoff. The regular season is a playoff." If that's true, how can a team go undefeated and not even get to play for the championship?

I think the same can be said for those who say we do need a playoff. College football was fine for over 100 years without a playoff. Just because there are those who have some sort of weird psychological need for imaginary resolution doesn't mean a truly successful sport should face the kinds of draconian changes that will come with a multi-team playoff format.

This kind of logic is horrible. America was fine for 80-some years before slavery was outlawed. There are obvious reasons for having a playoff, as well as the monetary reasons. None of which is going to kill the sport as we know it. "draconian changes" lmfao

I predict that the blowback will end in about a year when the playoff has been massively successful and the remaining bowls in fact haven't been relegated to some mythical college football left-for-dead wasteland

Assuming there is any (which will be minimal to non-existent, imo).

I'm quite sure there won't be any blowback allowed on espn because it will be their investment. What will happen is a general malaise will creep in over the regular season. Instead of admitting that they rendered it irrelevant, big wigs will yak about how kids would rather be on tablets than in the stands, or the games taking too long, or we need a new Jumbotron. The football season will lose importance like college bball, and the powers won't want to hear that they engineered it themselves.

The NFL lets almost half their teams into the playoffs. And they play more regular season games than college football. And the regular season is HUGE. Again, this is not college basketball. The regular season is not going to be diminished in any way. I'm not sure why that's a talking point really

College football can prosper by imitating the NFL about as well as college baseball can the MLB. BTW, should FSU have to wait behind Purdue to draft the best high school athlete?

As for the 12-0 teams that didn't get a national title, I don't see why a 9-7 team that ran hot in the playoffs is any better. It was an arbitrary decision to declare the games in January more important. At least in the former case the players and fans get to talk about that year for the rest of their lives.

• Fire 1

I think the same can be said for those who say we do need a playoff. College football was fine for over 100 years without a playoff. Just because there are those who have some sort of weird psychological need for imaginary resolution doesn't mean a truly successful sport should face the kinds of draconian changes that will come with a multi-team playoff format.

"Fine" is subjective.

Funny how you consider deciding the champion on the field as "imaginary" as compared to the semi-arbitrary process we have now.

It's funny how you think that arbitrarily picking four teams equates to "deciding the champion on the field". I never said what we have now isn't arbitrary...I said that the multi-team playoff they are implementing will be no better. And yes, "fine" is subjective...but selecting the four chosen teams to play for this new mythical national championship will be just as subjective.

"Fine" is subjective.

Funny how you consider deciding the champion on the field as "imaginary" as compared to the semi-arbitrary process we have now.

It's funny how you think that arbitrarily picking four teams equates to "deciding the champion on the field". I never said what we have now isn't arbitrary...I said that the multi-team playoff they are implementing will be no better. And yes, "fine" is subjective...but selecting the four chosen teams to play for this new mythical national championship will be just as subjective.

I agree. 4 teams is still not enough. 8's probably a perfect number. I think you can make a legit argument for each of the top 8 teams in the final polls and/or BCS standings following the reg season and the bowls. But you get more than 8-say maybe 16-and id dont think you can make that same argument for anyone say 10 through 16. Maybe go 10 teams and give 1 and 2 byes. Maybe 12 and give 1-4 byes. Go six and give 1 and 2 byes like the NFL. Who knows. But your right, this 4 teamer is gonna be just as subjective. #5,6 and even 7 and 8 are gonna be pissed.

• Fire 1

Just because those who oppose a playoff need a talking point. Doesn't have to have any basis in reality.

Same applies to those who say "We don't need a playoff. The regular season is a playoff." If that's true, how can a team go undefeated and not even get to play for the championship?

This kind of logic is horrible. America was fine for 80-some years before slavery was outlawed. There are obvious reasons for having a playoff, as well as the monetary reasons. None of which is going to kill the sport as we know it. "draconian changes" lmfao

LOL, it's always fun to wait for the first person who has no valid point so he goes straight to the "well we had slavery for 400 years" or "That sounds like the way they did it in Nazi Germany". Too funny. Brilliant response!

Dunno cal Husker, Bowl games are a dime a dozen and have very little of their old luster left, it's just a money grab these days.

I do agree with your second point, this new playoff is going to be very controversial as well, for me it's a partial step in the right direction , take this step and hope it will expand the number of teams in the next 10 years, but it still clings to opinions as a basis. For me it should come down to champs from each division to get a shot at a national championship.

As Far as B ball, there is almost no controversy by the time you get to 60 and up, the chance of the sport being robbed of a champion from that bracket is next to nil.

Your fourth point is similar to third and yes, there will be lots of tears, unfortunately this is still an extension of what we have now and there would have been the same tears anyway. However at least two more deserving teams(bar sec hype) will get a shot at this.

As far as you final thoughts, I sort of agree also, but I don't think it will get worse, it will just be almost as bad. Yes the games will still be mostly in the South, yes the hype machine like espn will favor teams where they invested billions into a network.

However every year for decades I often wanted to see that third and fourth seeded team play, I am pretty damn positive that little sec run would have never happened with a 4 team playoff as there were some outstanding teams that were snubbed. Overall I think it will be slightly better but for me at least even a slight improvement is a step in the right direction.

We agree on some points, on others not so much. Thanks for making an intelligent, well argued response. I know I'm not going to win people over...and the multi-team playoff is here so there is nothing I can do to stop it. I am just not one of those people in the camp that thinks there was some sort of need for a multi-team playoff. I am not sure what "problem it solves". As I said, I can see some potential problems it creates. That is my main concern. Some traditions and "old fasioned" ways of doing things are worth keeping. That's all.

LOL, it's always fun to wait for the first person who has no valid point so he goes straight to the "well we had slavery for 400 years" or "That sounds like the way they did it in Nazi Germany". Too funny. Brilliant response!

Except that was me MAKING FUN OF YOUR AWFUL LOGIC. And you didn't understand the joke. Which doesn't shock me at this point.

The counter-argument to the "general malaise creeping in" to the regular season is that the more teams that make it in to the playoff, the more teams are still in the running for a shot at it. So if your team gets to 7-0 and then loses, in any other season you're out of it. You drop out of the main national title picture and the fanbase loses that national title hope.

With a 4 or 8 or whatever team playoff, if you drop a single game you're probably still in the running, no matter what conference you're in. Thus, the fanbase still buys in to the playoff/title hope for the rest of the regular season.

Again, with games occurring once a week in a campus environment, generally on Saturdays, this creates the "big event" feel of even the most mundane games, unlike other sports (basketball being used as a counterargument by most). On Saturdays, people are going to pay no less attention to the college football regular season. Combined with the fact that there are still only ~12 regular season games all year and the inherent excitement of conference/rivalry games, we're in no danger of diluting the excitement of the regular season games.

Because they're UCF from the Sun Big American East. Is that a real question?

Yes, it's a real question. Good try but UCF wasn't undefeated.

There have been several non-BCS schools go undefeated and didn't get to play for the title. Not that I think they deserved it but if a team with a loss gets in over an undefeated team, it's not a playoff - it's a judgement.

But Auburn did go undefeated in 2004 and didn't get to play for the title either.

Ok so UCF had a loss, the point I was making is that it's UCF and they don't play anyone (a team such as UCF will likely be a wasted playoff spot in the 4-team system, even more so in an 8-team). Same concept. Outside of Auburn in 2004 (which I already brought up, welcome to the party, the food's a bit cold but I'm sure it's ok), there has not been one team from a major conference go undefeated and not play for a national title (that wasn't under sanctions, tOSU). Boise State? If you're a Boiseutahtexaschristian sympathizer.....then I suppose we're done here, as there is no reasoning with such people.

So you can write "American History" on the list of things you don't understand. Right below "College Football".

Step 1: Make a stretch that would challenge most gymnasts. (college football to slavery)

Step 2: Allow connotations to do the rest. (no playoff=slavery)

Step 3: Profit.

Well done, sir.

College football can prosper by imitating the NFL about as well as college baseball can the MLB. BTW, should FSU have to wait behind Purdue to draft the best high school athlete?

As for the 12-0 teams that didn't get a national title, I don't see why a 9-7 team that ran hot in the playoffs is any better. It was an arbitrary decision to declare the games in January more important. At least in the former case the players and fans get to talk about that year for the rest of their lives.

Are people who are against the idea of a playoff incapable of figuring out that there will never be a 9-7 team in the playoffs - or, adjusting for a 12 game schedule, a 7-5 team? We've already been over this once (at least).

Except that was me MAKING FUN OF YOUR AWFUL LOGIC. And you didn't understand the joke. Which doesn't shock me at this point.

Yeah...Sure you were....Except that you chose an example tailored to your argument versus his, although it was a poor example and it doesn't really fit at all......