Why college football is better off without the BCS

But, since an 11-1, USC is going to play for the PAC title the next week, for an automatic playoff berth, then the ND-USC game was rendered a boring also-ran. The blue bloods watch the first half or so, and everyone else only glances if the game is still close in the final two minutes. SC would be wise to prioritize avoiding injuries.

And what is the draw of that same game under the current setup?

From 1912 to 2014, USC knocked itself out of the national title hunt.

What???

You are claiming that the USC/ND game from 1912 to 2014 would knock USC out of the NC hunt? Really?

Just looking at last year, USC had two losses before that game and had fired their head coach. I doubt very seriously if the USC/ND game had anything to do with the NC hunt last year. I will guarantee you that there are a BUNCH of other years during that span that were similar.

I personally don't give a flying rip about rivalry games that other schools have other than I'll look Saturday night to see who won. For most of the country, their importance usually is built up in the minds of the fans of the teams in the game.

Having a 4 team playoff won't change one darn thing about these two teams and their rivalry game.

I personally don't give a flying rip about rivalry games that other schools have other than I'll look Saturday night to see who won.

You won't have to anymore will you? Instead of flying off the couch upon seeing Auburn taking away Bama's national title berth in the final seconds, you can tune into College Football Final to hear Mark and Lou discuss the implications of Bama having a slightly lower playoff seed.

I personally don't give a flying rip about rivalry games that other schools have other than I'll look Saturday night to see who won.

You won't have to anymore will you? Instead of flying off the couch upon seeing Auburn taking away Bama's national title berth in the final seconds, you can tune into College Football Final to hear Mark and Lou discuss the implications of Bama having a slightly lower playoff seed.

So your mad a red delicous apple has become a granny smith apple?

If your concern is that two SEC teams get in over other conference champions or even Notre Dame oet me reassure you, this is an absolute garauntee. If there is a situation like 2010, two SEC teams will get in. Its their concept and they are the kingpin. FSU did us a favor by cutting them down a peg but still they sit perched atop the FBS. If there are worthy enough teams afross the map it wont be an issue, this year the SEC had a down year and yes still wiggled their way in.

Let me ask you this, if it comes down to a 13-0 Bama, 12-1 USC, 12-0 Texas and 11-1 Notre Dame as the top 4 teams in the nation, wouldnt you be tickled pink the Irish arent dead in the water concerning the National Championship?

So your mad a red delicous apple has become a granny smith apple?

If your concern is that two SEC teams get in over other conference champions or even Notre Dame oet me reassure you, this is an absolute garauntee. If there is a situation like 2010, two SEC teams will get in. Its their concept and they are the kingpin. FSU did us a favor by cutting them down a peg but still they sit perched atop the FBS. If there are worthy enough teams afross the map it wont be an issue, this year the SEC had a down year and yes still wiggled their way in.

Let me ask you this, if it comes down to a 13-0 Bama, 12-1 USC, 12-0 Texas and 11-1 Notre Dame as the top 4 teams in the nation, wouldnt you be tickled pink the Irish arent dead in the water concerning the National Championship?

Yes it's great knowing the loser of the ND-USC game gets a mulligan and possible the compelling postseason rematch. Just fantastic.

2013 Bama locked up a playoff berth by losing, yes they lost their way into the hypothetical playoff, and yet we're still debating if the playoff will devalue the season.

2013 Bama locked up a playoff berth by losing, yes they lost their way into the hypothetical playoff, and yet we're still debating if the playoff will devalue the season.

Just like they did in 2011.

You keep pointing out things you view as pitfalls but they are all true under the current system as well.

• Fire 1

Just like they did in 2011.

You keep pointing out things you view as pitfalls but they are all true under the current system as well.

Yeah, bowl game rematches happened like once every 20 years, usually due to meddling by a certain big tv network. CCG rematches happen about every third, a playoff is just begging for even more.

• 3 weeks later...

Skipping the semantical yammering, there were fewer teams eligible for a national title after the bcs came into existence. Underf the old NYD bowls, @ 6 teams in the big 5 had a chance for a natty if the things worked out.

And btw, college ball used a meaningful regular season to crown a champion. Wins in Jan are not naurally better than ones in September.

There is absolutely NOTHING that diminishes the regular season with a play off of 4 teams. If you move it to 8 team and make it 6 conference champions plus two wild cards then it even makes the regular season even MORE exciting. It creates an atmosphere where if you are in contention to win your conference, then you are in contention for an NC. That is huge and right now, most conference champions have absolutely no chance of an NC.

Late to the game, but ^^^ This. This is exactly right. I would love a playoff consisting of all of the conference champions. For one, that makes the CC games a de facto first round of the playoff. Then we can get past all of this conference hyping and just see which conference, when they're all allowed to play each other, comes out on top. The LSU-Alabama National Conference Championship cited earlier in this thread is a prime example of how terrible the BCS and previous systems were at determining which team from which conference is the best. The football syllogism is often derided, but it has been, for the most part, the only way to decide which team is better than another team from a different conference with little direct crossover play. Myths get made, they become self-sustaining, and eventually become "common knowledge." Oh, "we all know" the SEC is the best! The SEC won a national championship against itself! That's how awesome they are! SEC teams were 1 and 2 because one team lost to another SEC team, which is like WINNING against any other team, so, it was like they were undefeated! Now we know which team is the best in the nation because we see which one is the best in the SEC!

This isn't against the SEC, just against the system and the hype that motivated many of the decisions.

If you want to diminish the value of the regular season, only allow conference champions to get into the playoff. The other 3-4 regular season games will soon look like NFL preseason games.

So under this new system, teams won't have to win games to win their conference?

It's basically the same system as before, but we have a selection committee instead of a computer telling who is going to play. Calling it a playoff isn't right.

The nfl also uses a computer so to speak. The playoffs follow a set of predetermined rules, even for the tie break. They just don't vote during the season.

And on that note, would the Broncos have even made the playoffs if they playec in the nfcw?

Holy crap Joe you have the most convoluted reasoning, really what a deeper and deeper hole of bullsh#t you are digging.

Yea they use a computer, so to speak, no they don't Joe, it's pretty damn clear so what are you talking about?

And what does it matter if Denver made it or not in either division. Seattle took care of things "ON THE FIELD" from their end, they beat the best in their division and then of the opposing division, is that not clear?

They played tough in the regular season, they ran the playoff gauntlet and won and finally beat a team that did the same thing in the other division, so, what are you talking about again?

I mean God damn that's a hell of a lot more deserving then some bias dude and a computer saying, here you go, your in the final, you got a 50% chance of being a champ!