SIGNED WR Jariah Tolbert

Tolbert doesn't run a 4.87 lmao.

It was electronic timed at a SPARQ combine last summer. I suppose you flew down to Louisiana with your 40 electronic machine timer and recorded a different time? What did you clock him at?

We are not recruiting him for speed, he is going to be a possession type receiver. The 40 time at some combine is the most over-rated measurement imho. I will take his stats against some of Louisiana's top competition over some 40 time we ran back in the summer.

5 catches, 72 yards, 3 TD's vs. Belle Chasse

4 catches, 58 yards, 2 TD's vs John Curtis

3 catches, 82 yards, 1 TD vs Franklinton

• Fire 2

It was electronic timed at a SPARQ combine last summer. I suppose you flew down to Louisiana with your 40 electronic machine timer and recorded a different time? What did you clock him at?

We are not recruiting him for speed, he is going to be a possession type receiver. The 40 time at some combine is the most over-rated measurement imho. I will take his stats against Louisiana's type competition over some 40 time we ran back in the summer.

5 catches, 72 yards, 3 TD's vs. Belle Chasse

4 catches, 58 yards, 2 TD's vs John Curtis

3 catches, 82 yards, 1 TD vs Franklinton

Had over 1000 receiving yards this year against some pretty good competition.

Since there is no way he increased his speed over the course of the year at all.

I clocked him at the same speed your brain apparently works: 0.

You realize that kids just don't drop .4 seconds off their 40 just by getting 6 months older and doing a few squats in the weight room. Of course he can get faster, but it is quite marginal. A dramatic improvement would be -.1 or -.15 seconds. So let's say he worked his ass off, matured a little bit, that still puts him at the 4.77 range.

Look, there are things to like about him. He uses his body well, which isn't always guaranteed for all big WR. He seems to have pretty good hands, but we don't know that for sure because WR isn't going to put drops on his highlight film. But no one can right minded put his speed or athleticism on the top of this kid's list.

Since there is no way he increased his speed over the course of the year at all.

So is that closer to warp or light speed?

Anquan Boldin ran 4.72 at the NFL Combine. The same year, Brandon Lloyd ran 4.62 and he was a good deep threat in the NFL. There are plenty of WRs that run in the 4.6s at the Combine and several that ran in the 4.7s. And that's 5 years (at least) older and stronger than what we're talking about here, not to mention guys that have a decent chance to get drafted, not just be on a college roster.

Speed is great. I wish all our players were as fast as anyone. But it isn't the only key to success.

• Fire 3

You realize that kids just don't drop .4 seconds off their 40 just by getting 6 months older and doing a few squats in the weight room. Of course he can get faster, but it is quite marginal. A dramatic improvement would be -.1 or -.15 seconds. So let's say he worked his ass off, matured a little bit, that still puts him at the 4.77 range.

Look, there are things to like about him. He uses his body well, which isn't always guaranteed for all big WR. He seems to have pretty good hands, but we don't know that for sure because WR isn't going to put drops on his highlight film. But no one can right minded put his speed or athleticism on the top of this kid's list.

I didn't say he ran a 4.4 did I? I just said he doesn't run a 4.87.

Also, as a HS kid, if you've never ran the 40 previously, if you mess with mechanics a bit its easy to shave off some time just due to that. Nope he is at the top of the list because he is 6'4 and can snag the ball out of the air.

FWIW, Quincy was 6'2" 195 and ran a 4.5-4.6 that I doubt was electronically timed.

Quincy also had an offer sheet comparable to Tolbert's. UCLA came in on signing day to try and sway Quincy. I'm going to trust these coaches when it comes to evaluating WR talent.