Volunteering/Community Service Programs?

Taking a class at Bellevue University, and I need to volunteer at least 12 hours worth. I've checked a few places and they all need references, background checks or orientation training first before I can even get any hours.

Does anyone here volunteer? Any suggestions?

I'd love to just sign up and go for a few hours on a weekend for a couple of weeks. If any of you volunteer, and you need help at your organization, please let me know.

Thanks!

Not sure if it's still around, but I volunteered for Lincoln Personal Crisis before I moved out here..But the training program was a little long if I remember right..

I was able to answer the phone from my own apartment via an operator switching it to my home phone...Sometimes I felt I did more good for myself than I did for others, but some of the people seemed to like my approach.

I also started training for a mentoring program but got hired by an Environmental lab in Tempe before I got a chance to volunteer..Still learned a lot about child development that never occured to me before..

For a short term thing without training, I wonder if you could volunteer at an old folks home or a Hospice...or just visit an old person and pretend to be their long deceased parent or maybe their child...It's amazing how many old ladies tried to confuse me with somebody from their past while I visited my Mom at one of these places...

I volunteered at the PCM distribution center (over on O st.), I can't remember if I had to do a background check or just fill out a little application. That's a great place to volunteer, just folding clothes or helping them sort through donations they get.

City Impact is a bit smaller of an organization, if you can get a job with them doing something not really working with people (I put stamps on envelopes for their mail campaign) you shouldn't need a background check.

If it were the holidays, you could ring bells for the salvation army. Otherwise they might have some other things going on you could help out with.

Just a warning, the humane society will straight up ask if you're volunteering as a temporary thing just for volunteer hours; if you are they give you jobs like cleaning up poop and cleaning out cages. My bro volunteers for them in his spare time and he basically just plays with cats the whole time, "socializing" them :)

I used to get Creighton law students that needed to get service hours in, either for a class or padding a resume.

They would come and "help coach" football. By that I mean, they would show up about 25% of the time and yell and scream and then usually make one game. HA!

I don't blame them for doing it in a half-assed way but it was always pretty funny.

Thanks for all the ideas fellas!

I'm going to inquire at my kids school and a couple of churches here in town. A lot of the places I have checked and that my classmates have checked need orientation and all this stuff prior to getting hours. Working full time, plus school full time, throw in the wife and a kid... Ain't nobody got time for orientation!

I would love to volunteer at humane society, but our instructor is telling us it has to deal with families, religion, veterans... I love me some dogs though, usually more than humans.

Husker 37, I did apply at a veteran hospice place in Bellevue. They have yet to get back to me about it, which is frustrating. I'd love to sit with some old WWII vets and hear their stories.

I should have mention this in the beginning of the thread, but it has to be in or around Omaha.

• Fire 1

Just in case anyone in the area would like to volunteer with the nicest critters known to man... http://www.taysiablue.com/

13.jpg?a=1116308596048

Taysia Blue Siberian Husky Rescue

Winter 2014 24.jpg?a=1116308596048

One hundred and four lives were saved in 2013 through the efforts of Taysia Blue volunteers and supporters! That is just incredible; I couldn't be more grateful. Thank you all so much for everything that you do.

We are off to a fast start in 2014. So far this month we have already exceeded January 2013 adoptions and we still have a lot of time left!

As a new feature to the newsletter, we intend to shine a spotlight on one volunteer and also update you on one of our adopted dogs. We hope you will enjoy our throwback alumni memories and read about how they are doing now. We also hope that you take some time to get to know some of our unsung heroes; our priceless volunteers!

Sincerely,

Jackie Roach

Taysia Blue Siberian Husky Rescue Calendar Clearance!

A handful of 2014 Taysia Blue Calendars are still available fin our online store. This year they are more beautiful than ever! Quantities are limited, order yours today before they are gone!

28.jpg?a=1116308596048

Taysia Blue Calendar - Online Store 34.jpg?a=1116308596048 Tammi's impact really began with Lucy (now Sasha) Taysia Blue Hero - Tammi Neumer

Taysia Blue volunteer Tammi Neumer is one of our unsung heroes. She has been a part of Taysia Blue since its conception after having met Jackie years before on Dogster.com, an early social network for dog lovers.

"I emailed Jackie and said I wanted to help, but just to do paperwork. I wanted to be a part of the rescue but keep my distance at the same time. I then decided to take the next step and help with a transport... That was when I met Lucy (now Sasha), I fell in love with her in the hour that it took for me to get her to her next stop."

Tammi added, "I encourage everyone to volunteer or foster. You might feel like you can't do it; you're afraid it will be too hard or you won't be able to help .... but you can and we need you! You may shed a few tears, but surprisingly mostly happy tears, but you can do it. You put one foot in front of the other and you save a life."

Tammi helps with transports, dog assessments, checks references on applications and organizes events in the Kansas City area leading her own group of volunteers.

"Since almost 80% of the dogs we bring into the rescue come from Missouri and Kansas, her quick evaluations and communication with the area shelters has become invaluable. Tammi does a lot behind the scenes. Since she lives in the Kansas City area, many people don't know who she is or the extent of what she does for Taysia Blue. Taysia Blue would not be where it is today without the tireless work of Tammi Neumer," Says rescue founder Jackie Roach. 36.jpg?a=1116308596048 Brigh and foster brother Lincoln enjoying husky playtime!

Then and Now!

June, formally known as Brigh

Brigh came to Taysia Blue as a high energy, ten-month-old Siberian Husky. She didn't have much in the way of manners, but she did have a big talking husky mouth! Suzanne Clabaugh, her foster suggested the name Brigh because it meant strength in Gaelic.

"Brigh was the noisiest Siberian I have ever met. Good grief that girl could talk. Constantly. She always had something to say, and made sure you were paying attention to her when she said it, or she repeated it for your benefit," remembers Suzanne. "I don't know that I've ever met a dog as loud and proud as June! She was quite a handful.

In foster care, Brigh enjoyed tossing snakes in the back yard and watching for bunnies. "I was there for her adoption", Suzanne recalled, "I got to go and meet her family and see their house and living space. The family was a great fit for her".

Brigh is a great reminder of how a dog can blossom if a family will give time, patience, routine and leadership to the relationship.

Brigh's life got even better as June when she found her forever home, click here to read a special letter from her adoptive family.

A Perfect Pairing! 22.jpg?a=1116308596048

Taysia Blue Vineyards features six different varietals of wine featuring gorgeous Taysia Blue alumni dogs on the label. A portion of the wine purchased will benefit Taysia Blue Siberian Husky Rescue! Order your Taysia Blue Vineyards wine today!

jmml_1a.gif

Welcome to Taysia Blue Siberian Husky Rescue!

Taysia Blue Siberian Husky Rescue is based in Omaha, Nebraska with a foster and volunteer network that stretches to Lincoln, Des Moines, IA, Kansas City, MO, and beyond.

We are a 501©3 nonprofit organization. Our all volunteer mission provides a network to shelter, rehabilitate and re-home Siberian huskies in the Midwest who are misplaced,

abused, neglected, abandoned or surrendered by their owners.

Our goal is to place these dogs in loving, permanent and carefully screened homes.