Sounds like Goodell wants to abolish the extra point in the NFL.

The Dude

Didn't see this topic anywhere. Basically his idea is the PAT is so automatic it's basically pointless to have. Sounds like he wants to make a touchdown worth 7 automatically, with the option to get an 8th point by getting the ball in the end zone similar to a 2-point conversion. But if you don't convert, your 7th point gets taken off and your TD is only worth 6.

Hope that makes sense. I'm kind of in a rush here, just wanted to get the discussion going real quick. What are your thoughts on this?

Make TDs 7 by default, with an optional Papa Johns™ extra slice conversion to either add or lose a point, and also add a Bud Light™ super field goal where the kicker has to bong 3 warm Bud Light™ beers right before the kick to make it worth 4 points.

• Fire 1

I wouldnt allow this change. Next it will be you cant take tackle ball carriers too roughly.........oh wait.

Personally I dont really favor the change but if a clear superior alternative is presented Im on board. I do like in college though you can block the kick and run it back for 2. The NFL doesnt have this, if it did this change may not even be talked about.

The NFL is so much better than college in regards to EPA and field goal units. Much more rare, I believe.

How many EPA are blocked/missed during an NFL season? How many injuries occur on EPA? That is my cost-benefit analysis.

No idea about the injuries. But I think Goodell said there's been 5 misses out of about 1,200 attempts (or something like that).

Initially I was put off by the idea. But I thought about it like this; if the PAT never existed, and someone proposed it today, everyone would think it's a stupid idea. I think people only like it because it's always been there. Not because it does anything to enhance the game.

Being as I'm in a country that follows (and dominates) rugby, and watching it for a few years now, I kind of like how they do the 'try' conversions (a 'try' is basically our touchdown if you don't know), because where you kick the conversion is based on where the ball is downed in the try zone. Sometimes a try is able to be delivered to the middle of the try zone for an easier kick, sometimes not. But if nothing else, the play doesn't always stop once you score, you also have to try to keep the guy scoring from getting the kicker into better position for the PAT

So, for instance...if the ball is thrown and the receiver catches it for a TD in the right-hand corner of the endzone and runs out of bounds, the kick would be placed at the right hash-mark for the kick. Choose whatever distance you'd like for the kicker, but it should probably be moved back.

And another thought I had...why not make it 2 points when you have a longer, and maybe an angled kick? And...if you want to try instead to run or pass it in from say, the 3-5 yard line, you can get 1 point? Depending on the game/wind conditions, could make it kind of a chess game. Just something I thought of when I heard about this.

Edit: here's a clip of what they do in rugby, so maybe something similar..

• Fire 1

Yep, the only "real" argument to keep it in the NFL is people who just don't want to see the game change because it's "tradition" or some other bullsh#t. There is no logical basis for the extra point to remain, at least as it is. What I saw on ESPN said it's a 99.1% completion rate over a span of whatever number of years. 5 were missed this season. In other words, it's f'ing pointless.

Put in a system of some kind that adds something to the game.