How many commits in the 2014 Class?

I would guess that we don't take him at this point. You can never have too many good athletes, particularly ones from top schools, but we've got limited spots and bigger needs at other positions. If we strike out with some others, I could see taking him, but I'd have him behind another DE, Frison at OT, a QB/ATH like parks, Pittman at DT, Minor at LB, and Brown at CB if there's any chance.

So, take him if there's room, like if we knew Stewart wasn't going to make it, but I'd be surprised.

Where are the extra schollies coming from, as I believe we can only over recruit by 3 and we must have a reason? Is there players leaving the program, as we were looking at 23 and maybe 25 do Moss & Afalava?

Edited by Mavric
Split from Avery thread.

The class limit of 25 isn't a problem, as the two juco's should count towards last year's class, giving room for up to 27. The issue is the 85. If guy and okeyemi and afalava and moss are all gone, and I think they are, that leaves us currently one short of the 85. If Lewis is a walk-on (and I don't know if that's the case, but it's reasonable since he's apparently already been paying his own way), that would be another. If Harrison goes pro MLB, that's another. If Stewart isn't going to qualify, that's another. If one of the walk-ons that earned a scholarship agrees to give it up, that's another. If Barney agrees to pull a McDermott and pay for one or more of his kids, that's more. Hard to say where the room will come from, but as long as it's done in a fair and honest manner, and I can pretty well guarantee it will be, we'll be fine.

Actually it's pretty easy to count the players and read the Big 10 rule book. All Big 10 teams are allowed to oversign by 3 in Feb with valid reasoning as long as were down to 85 by fall camp. We're at 85 right now, we can take 3 more under big 10 rules

I was listening to a weekly husker recruiting show last week and they said that 23 would put us at the limit and that did not account for Moss & Afalava, so they thought we would take 25 in this class.

I have us at 84 currently - Moss and Afalava gone but still have all other non-seniors from the 2013 roster (Guy and Okuyemi in particular, thought at least Guy is well-rumored to be gone) and with the current 23 commits. I haven't included Burtch or Williams as walk-ons who received scholarships until we get confirmation that their scholarships will be in tact past this semester.

So we have two spots currently assuming Guy is gone. Same as what SouthLincoln Husker reported. I think we could take another one or two depending on if anyone else might leave or what they do with Burtch.

I know there are other players we are looking at, but it's always nice to see deserving walk-ons get schollies.

I agree, but what do you consider "deserving"? Kind of shocked with Williams considering how close we are to the 85 this year. Especially this early - figured that decision would be made going into fall camp like normal after spring practice opens up 1-2 scholarships.

I know there are other players we are looking at, but it's always nice to see deserving walk-ons get schollies.

I agree, but what do you consider "deserving"? Kind of shocked with Williams considering how close we are to the 85 this year. Especially this early - figured that decision would be made going into fall camp like normal after spring practice opens up 1-2 scholarships.

I'm guessing Williams is just this semester - for now anyway. Probably lose it in the fall if we have enough signees. Possibly Burtch as well since he's younger but I could see him keep his.