College football players union

http://m.espn.go.com...toryId=10363430

Huma said he met with Northwestern players over the weekend on campus in Evanston, Ill., and took the next step in creating a collective voice for players. He said Colter introduced him to groups of players that Colter had talked with over the past couple of months about their interest in taking the unprecedented step of asking for union representation.

To have the NLRB consider a petition to be unionized, at least 30 percent of the members of a group serving an employer must sign union cards.

Huma declined to say how many Northwestern players signed cards other than the number was "overwhelming majority." To get to 30 percent, at least 26 of the 85 scholarship players had to sign.

The NLRA governs only private enterprises and does not apply to public universities. As a private university, Northwestern falls under its jurisdiction. Gerard said that based on labor law, any decision in favor of the players against Northwestern would apply to all private universities across the country in the FBS. It would not apply to public universities, which are governed by state laws.

From the original article, so for now if the players win it would only affect private schools like Notre Dame, USC, Boston College etc.

So sick of hearing about college athletes using "true cost of attendance" as a facade argument to get more money when they pocket several hundred dollars a month due to rent/room & board discrepancies.

i am always confused on how the gifts they receive from bowls are not special benefits. why can they get those gifts, but suh could not give them ipads?

It's been my experience that introducing more money to a system people say is corrupt and unfairly stacked always works out....

i have a lot of respect for you as a poster, but i gotta disagree with you on this one.

Sarcasm.

Indeed, sarcasm.

It is, however, cool if you disagree with on my stance that college players shouldn't be paid. I'll just show you superior evidence to contrary.

College athletics is becoming more and more just a minor league for the pros.

I've always been of a mind that to have a majority, it would take more than 30%. How in the world did majority become 30%. I guess it's alot like the belief in evolution, anything is possible, even the impossible.

I for one being a college athletic's fan, that the union idea dies the death it deserves. Can you imagine, paying fb players, above the cost of the education etc, to attend college, get a degree, or by then maybe not, no need for classes if it's just a minor league of paid players. Have the players pay their own way for education, r&b, meals etc. out of their wages. IMHO, they would just be employees of the University. College football would then become much like the pro game to it's determent.The sell out streak at Nebraska would end IMO without any doubt. Who wants to see a bunch of spoiled kids, trying to make it to the NFL, and leaving the university without a degree, there wouldn't be the alumni support, the players wouldn't really care where they went to college due to it not being college really. This is getting out of hand. Hopefully the powers that be will see the real damage to college athletics, however we all know money and the greed of such will rule over the right thing to do.

Sorry for the rant that digresses constantly.GBR

Heard a different twist in the radio earlier. Guy says to set a price .....(example......60,000) to sign a contract to play for a University in a specific sport. Fine. Then, the athlete is responsible for his/her own lodging, tuition, meals, training, rehab, books, tutors, and ALL benefits that the remainder of the student body is saddled with. hmmmmmm