Congrats Coaching Staff

Congrats to this coaching staff on a great 2014 class. Not only does this appear to be one of Bo's best classes to date, it also shows that Bo and his team were willing to change their approach this year and be much more aggressive in going after kids, even those that may have previously given a commitment to another team. That is how the recruiting game works, and how the recruiting battles are won and lost, and I think this year's class will position Nebraska very nicely in the future.

I agree with your assessment of this recruiting class and of the coaching staff's change in it's philosophical approach to the recruiting process. Although, there are a couple recruits who don't have great "star" power, for the most part, these late commits seem to be genuinely made up of quality players.

I ditto the congrats bestowed upon the coaching staff for this recruiting class! :worship

What change are you guys talking about?

In the past from what Bo has stated he tends to lay off guys who may have already committed to another school as he felt that was disrespectful. But I think given other teams have poached our recruits before, this year he's been more aggressive in poaching back. It's not going overboard, but courting other players much more aggressively on coming to Nebraska.

I also think he's had a better overall strategy with the entire coaching staff of visiting with many on the staff and keeping in contact as much as possible. What I really like moving forward is that he's got coaches established in several parts of the country, including outside of the 500 mile radius. We have a good setup in Louisiana, and are building some networks in Georgia and Florida. Closer to home, we are hitting KC hard and Chicago too.

Last year's class was better top to bottom, based on rankings. The class before that (2012) wouldve been a top 10'er had it been able to have the numbers of 2013 and 2014. This improved recruiting is a trend. Yes, this is a good class, but the closing of some higher prof' guys over the past week should not cover up the fact that this staff has put an emphasis on improved recruiting for multiple years now.

Last year's class was better top to bottom, based on rankings. The class before that (2012) wouldve been a top 10'er had it been able to have the numbers of 2013 and 2014. This improved recruiting is a trend. Yes, this is a good class, but the closing of some higher prof' guys over the past week should not cover up the fact that this staff has put an emphasis on improved recruiting for multiple years now.

Link?

Link?

To what?

Link?

To what?

Huh?

Link?

To what?

Huh?

:wasted

I'm not always one to go by just the rankings I guess. Many times those stars are not accurate, or there are many 3-star players performing like 4-plus, and some 4-stars performing like 3s. I just think that we got the right talent in the most important areas this year...the O and D-line, and for that alone, I think it's one of his better classes.

I'm not always one to go by just the rankings I guess. Many times those stars are not accurate, or there are many 3-star players performing like 4-plus, and some 4-stars performing like 3s. I just think that we got the right talent in the most important areas this year...the O and D-line, and for that alone, I think it's one of his better classes.

Hey I agree 100% with you. My thoughts are just in regards to this notion from some-and not just on this board. Im also speaking of people around here that I see-that the recruiting has improved all a sudden just this week. I know a guy who self-admittingly pays zero attention to recruiting. He's told me so. He has no interest in it. "I dont care about that. I just care about what they do on the field". Funny thing is how those two decommits make news anywhere from the forums to even my local news broadcast-which NEVER posts news of recruiting. I dont recall that stories when guys like Gregory and Stanton committed. But when those two guys decommitted that same guy started preaching to me how bad recruiting is and how Bo cant get no one this and that. All a sudden he's an expert. my theory? The Clinks and Slade decommitts drew a lot of attention to recruiting from people who normally pay very little if any attention to it at all. It's like the board after wins and losses. It's an epic meltdown of negativity and seasonal bitchers when we lose and it's ho hum when we win. So after those two decommits, there's added attention paid to recruiting, and how "bad" it is, and then just enough attention is paid to this last week or so and the actual ability of the staff, and NOW all a sudden recruiting is improving, when in all actuality, this is about a 3-4 year trend or so.

That's the point I was aluding to.

I admit I dont pay much in depth attention to recruiting. I dont really know all the specific ins and outs. But I tend to think I pay just enough attention to have a general idea of what's going on. How we stand with certain guys. And my honest assessment is that we're much better off WITHOUT Slade and Clinks in the long run and that this class is actually pretty good. I see a lot of our guys with Bama and other bigtime offers littering their offer list.

• Fire 1

^^^^ Agree with the above Mr. A.

I always question how many of those big time offers for our kids are commitable with the shady crap pulled at Alabama, FSU, and the like. I very much doubt we could go head to head with Alabama on a kid they really wanted and win... but then again, they rarely recruit outside the Southeast, so they'd likely have a regional leg up anyway in that situation.

For now, it's just good to know we're getting commits that garnered an offer from those schools at one point or another.

Agree that people often overreact near signing day to our recruiting abilities or effort. I don't think this is Bo's best class on paper. It's a good class, but nonetheless not his best IMO.

Most recent =/= best , as much as some of you think it does.

It's an unfair comparison anyway IMO as you've gotten a chance to see how his past classes have shook out on the field. We haven't seen that with these guys and all we have to go on is educated guesswork.

IMO, either last year's or the 2011 class have been the best on paper coming in. Last year's class seems loaded with lots of guys who seem ready to contribute sooner rather than later, and perhaps a few superstars mixed in (looking at you, Randy). Hell, Stanton was our 3rd lowest rated recruit (Rivals), and we took a two star snapper!!

2011 was awesome on paper, but some have flamed out quite nicely (Aaron Green, Moore, Klatchko)

^^^^ Agree with the above Mr. A.

I always question how many of those big time offers for our kids are commitable with the shady crap pulled at Alabama, FSU, and the like. I very much doubt we could go head to head with Alabama on a kid they really wanted and win... but then again, they rarely recruit outside the Southeast, so they'd likely have a regional leg up anyway in that situation.

My one rebuttle to this is, how many time to we see an offer from Nebraska be followed up by multiple offers from other, more elite programs? It's pretty often. Whether they really, REALLY wanted them or not, the offer is there, so they see something that they either want, or want to prevent us from having, or both.