Recruiting ranking - NU 5-6 in Big 10 ??

This article closes wt the surge in our recruiting ranking. I really don't think this ranking is anything to get excited about - middle of the road in the Big 10. I wonder how we can catch up wt OSU, etc wt this type of ranking. We've always have said, we were all about development and coaching up kids and not worried about the ranking - this may be true under Tom but I'm not sure our coaching staff has the skills to coach up kids to compete wt OSU and other conference leaders. I understand that not every 5 star pans out and some 2 & 3 stars have hearts of champions and accomplish more than others ranked above them, yet net, net it is still about talent on the field. You win with talent and if you don't have the talent, the coaching, development, motivation, game day adjustments and game planning must be at the very top to overcome the deficient talent.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140202/HUSKERS/140209623

Sunday night, the Huskers had surged in the team rankings of all four major recruiting services. Only Rivals does not include Lockhart among the projected signees:

» 247 Sports Composite: No. 34/No. 5 in the Big Ten

» ESPN: No. 40 nationally/No. 6 in the Big Ten

» Rivals: No. 31 nationally/No. 6 in the Big Ten

» Scout: No. 28 nationally/No. 5 in the Big Ten

It was a big recruiting class this year, and we might still improve it a little, but with big recruiting classes you are going to see Bo taking a risk on some lower rated players in hopes of getting a diamond in the rough (as we have some highly rated players in the class).

With a small class next year, you'll see a lot more focus on the ranking of the class.

6th by the 247 composite rankings. And as has been discussed before, rankings matter more than some like to think. You know who says they are not important? Fan's of teams with poor rankings. While people discuss and glow about some of the recruits, it tends to be in a vacuum. We have recruited to be 9-4 again.

6th by the 247 composite rankings. And as has been discussed before, rankings matter more than some like to think. You know who says they are not important? Fan's of teams with poor rankings. While people discuss and glow about some of the recruits, it tends to be in a vacuum. We have recruited to be 9-4 again.

A 9-4 record should get us better than a 6th place finish in the league, so that doesn't make any sense. I think you meant to say we recruited to win 7 games.

A 9-4 record should get us better than a 6th place finish in the league, so that doesn't make any sense. I think you meant to say we recruited to win 7 games.

Remember its a division bases system, this is not basketball. And we finished 3rd in our division last year. 5-3 in conference can easily be a 3rd place finish in a division in any year. Compare this class is Ohio State's player to player, athlete to athlete.

And I criticize because I care. I think we can, and should be doing better in this arena than what we are.

Ohio St. has 7 Ohio kids that are 4 or 5 star athletes and 3 high 3 star. That is almost half their recruiting class. Nebraska just does not have that much talent in the state. The recruiting landscape has changed as almost every team in large conferences are on TV. What tradition that was built is gone due to coaches before Bo. Most of these recruits were babies when Nebraska was at the top. We are moving in the right direction.

The 6th best record in the league in recent years has been 7 or 8 wins. Barring another avalanche of injuries, I can pretty well guarantee we'll be doing better than that.

Our coaches have shown they can win. Last year was supposed to be the culmination of that until we got snakebit on offense. They've done a great job of filling needs in recent classes and this one does exactly that. We brought in great linemen, a couple of talented quarterbacks and some slick skill players. We got a nice haul of defensive linemen, filling our biggest need, an athletic LB, and some good defensive backs, filling our other biggest need. What position are you concerned about?

We're set up pretty well going forward so long as the admin, the media and the fans can lay off the hot seat nonsense and let the coaches do their job. It's ridiculous to me that we've got a successful program with the potential to break through and so many are busy trying to force us into hitting reset again.

• Fire 3

The 6th best record in the league in recent years has been 7 or 8 wins. Barring another avalanche of injuries, I can pretty well guarantee we'll be doing better than that.

Our coaches have shown they can win. Last year was supposed to be the culmination of that until we got snakebit on offense. They've done a great job of filling needs in recent classes and this one does exactly that. We brought in great linemen, a couple of talented quarterbacks and some slick skill players. We got a nice haul of defensive linemen, filling our biggest need, an athletic LB, and some good defensive backs, filling our other biggest need. What position are you concerned about?

We're set up pretty well going forward so long as the admin, the media and the fans can lay off the hot seat nonsense and let the coaches do their job. It's ridiculous to me that we've got a successful program with the potential to break through and so many are busy trying to force us into hitting reset again.

Well said!

Really? We have sunk to a point where we are making excuses why almost half the conference has a higher recruiting rank? And using the term 'more than 7 wins?' If you like up records it was tied for 4th, and losing the tiebreaker to Iowa, it amounts to a 5th place finish.

Again all the talk of talent and needs is coming in a vacuum. Compare with who we expect to compete on the field against, and where we are landing.

Seriously, unless this staff is somehow head and shoulders above most other schools and recruiting services on talent evaluation, we should be extremely concerned that we are only in the top half of the conference, and wont crack the top 25 overall composite rankings.