Get rid of signing day?

It is my understanding that D1 football is the only college sport with A signing day. All other sports have open windows.

I think that it would be better for everybody - recruits, schools, coaches and especial fans - once a high school senior says yes, have him fax a letter of commitment and no flipping, no stress on coaches "herding cats" and no fan retribution on 17 year old kids who have an attention span of a 17 year old kid.

What do you think?

There is an open window though? Signing day is the first day prospects can sign. Then I believe they can sign any time between signing day and like late April..? Don't quote me on that.

That is correct but the OP is referring to the early signing periods similar to basketball, I believe.

Unless they change the rules on official visits, I think this would really hurt Nebraska. If they allow OVs in the spring of your Junior year then give an early signing period in August or something like that, it would work. But if they can sign before taking official visits, Nebraska would be even more at a disadvantage.

I don't follow recruiting that much. I know that every week or so the local paper has an article about signing with various community colleges and colleges - football, volleyball, basketball, baseball, etc. It doesn't happen on just one day - Vball is spread out.

I think that get rid of verbal commits and replace them with "sign on the dotted line" would make more sense to me.