2014 NFL Free Agency

zoogs

So....Patriots fan here.

Denver poached Aqib Talib from us for the most guaranteed money ever paid to a corner.

I think that's probably OK -- New England would've preferred to keep him, but not at a cost that would have made it prohibitive to extend younger players in future years, such as CBs Logan Ryan and our own Alfonzo Dennard. Between those two presumptive starters and slot corner Kyle Arrington, it's not a total disaster back there. They do really need a safety.

Now we're just waiting to see if Julian Edelman walks now...

...but all this buzz about Revis to the Pats has me pretty excited, I admit.

So a month ago all you Pats were coming unglued about a clean hit that knocked Talib out of the game as if he was so indefensible that it cost you the game and now it's fine to see him go? ;)

Obviously he's still holding a grudge.

Thought it was weird that Belicheck whined about that. All the players seemed to think it was a clean hit.

It's not fine, he was great here, but that's a price (particularly the guaranteed) that just couldn't be matched while still being financially disciplined. Though if they spend even more on Revis I'll have to eat my words. I'd be surprised.

The Broncos are definitely going all-in for their closing window, while the Pats always have and always will (under this management) try to stay steady for the long haul. Going to be interesting to see which is the more successful model. I like ours, but of course, I'm biased.

donkeys better hope this works, theyre effectively screwing their future and its hilarious

I guess the argument is 'What does it matter, once Peyton's gone we're pretty much screwed anyway.' Which is probably not untrue. Maybe not screwed, but well out of the championship hunt. So, why not cash it all in for a run in what's likely his last year or two, and manage the mess later? I can see the appeal.

donkeys better hope this works, theyre effectively screwing their future and its hilarious

Not necessarily. If they were trading away draft picks, then probably. But signing free agents doesn't mean mortgaging the future. They were near the top in cap space available. And it looks like Talib is guaranteed for three years and Ware for two which pretty well lines up with Manning. If those three come back off after 2-3 years, they'll be in great shape again.