Johnny Football vs Tommy Armstong

• 1 month later...

ESPN: Top spring position battles: #4 (Mitch Sherman)

Up next is the battle likely to get the most attention, though it’s not necessarily set to rank as the most intriguing fight of the spring. Hence, the No. 4 spot:

ncf_u_tommyarmstrong_ms_300x200.jpg

Bruce Thorson/USA TODAY Sports

Tommy Armstrong Jr. went 7-1 as a starting quarterback last season, but redshirt freshman Johnny Stanton could give him a run this spring.

Tommy Armstrong confidently leading Husker offense in spring ball

By Rich Kaipust / World-Herald Bureau

LINCOLN — The Nebraska offensive huddle was turned over to the players Monday, and receiver Taariq Allen wasn't surprised to see who was up next after the Husker coaches had said their words and departed.

NU football players have come to expect this from quarterback Tommy Armstrong.

I don't see why they can't both play. I don't see Johnny flat out overtaking TA unless Armstrong straight up forks the job over and forces Bo's hand by playing terribly this season (god forbid we lose a game!!!) However, the spring practice thread did mention that in practice, Stanton was working on zone read plays vs. Armstrong getting the call for traditional option plays. Might we have our own Belldozer this year???

Armstrong took almost all of the snaps with the No. 1 offense — Johnny Stanton and Ryker Fyfe took a few at the end. Stanton and Fyfe appear to be close to even with each other.

“Johnny’s trying to figure himself out right now,” Pelini said. “He’s got a lot to learn. He does a good job of commanding the huddle. And as far as his understanding, I think he’s doing a good job. I think he knows what to do. His reads are good; he has a good understanding of what’s going on. But actually putting it together and finishing the play, it’s all part of the process.”

OWH