Battle for the Starting Safety Spots

Man it is early. I swore this would be the year I stpe away from the ledge, put down the kool aid and be cautious. BUT DAMN, these reports are getting me ready for some football. Sounds like the D will be stout this year. Good experience returning at all 3 levels. Younger guys have the athleticism and the system seems to be clicking!

Still love this quote from Alexander:

"We were soft (last spring)," said sophomore safety LeRoy Alexander, one of the best young defenders. "We're trying to bring back the Blackshirt mentality and let the offense know we run Nebraska."

Love this attitude. Let the B1G know NU runs the conference.

With Cooper still out with an injury, Alexander and Gerry are getting most of the first-team reps so far this spring.

Alexander had a highlight-reel INT a couple practices ago.

Sounds like Gerry made several big hits in practice today and is looking impressive.

I keep hearing Gerry speed is what stands out.....he's hitting folks at full speed.

I'm hoping we can rely on athleticism versus all scheme for the DB's.

I think we will see a rotation of Coop on one side and Leroy and Gerry rotating on other....of course in blowouts or if Coop needs a break one can hope over to his side. I don't think Singleton and Martinez are on that 1st tier but I've heard very good things about them. Heard Singleton has the build of an NFL safety and Martinez is fast fast and knows how to use it.

I think we will see a rotation of Coop on one side and Leroy and Gerry rotating on other....of course in blowouts or if Coop needs a break one can hope over to his side. I don't think Singleton and Martinez are on that 1st tier but I've heard very good things about them. Heard Singleton has the build of an NFL safety and Martinez is fast fast and knows how to use it.

I remember reading about a friendly rivalry between the Martinez brothers about who actually was the fastest. If younger brother is anywhere close to TMart in straight line speed, that would be an impressive streak to the ball.

I remember reading about a friendly rivalry between the Martinez brothers about who actually was the fastest. If younger brother is anywhere close to TMart in straight line speed, that would be an impressive streak to the ball.

Yup, I just remember one of the media members saying their biggest impression from one of the first couple practices is how athletic and fast Drake looked at safety.

There are two kinds of vocal leaders, and Nebraska's secondary has both.

<snip>

The second is the quieter, roaming leader who connects with players one-and-one. As we've watched practice this week, senior safety Corey Cooper — sitting out the spring with a turf toe — has been a guy like that. He's pulled a player or two over for a pointer. He watches intently, playing the rep in his mind even if he can't be on the field. Reporters know Cooper as one of the softest-spoken guys on the defense. But his words count among teammates.

“On the sidelines, he's always talking to people, getting people right, letting them know what they need to do,” sophomore safety LeRoy Alexander said. “Just because he's not vocal on the field doesn't mean he's not leading us. He's definitely the leader among the DBs. He lets me know everything I do wrong ... he definitely knows how it is when a coach is yelling at a player — especially a younger player — and when they put their head down and walk away, he'll just pull them to the side and say, 'Don't even worry about it, just fix it on the next play.' ”

OWH

That'll likely have Gerry, or perhaps Alexander, working more reps with the 2s. But it seems apparent the 6-foot-2, 210-pound Gerry is making a strong case to have an important role in the safety rotation.

During last Saturday's scrimmage, he produced a couple of the biggest hits of the day. His ability to come up and play the run was particularly impressive.

Given Gerry's performances, Pelini is not even thinking about moving him back to linebacker right now.

"I feel really good about our linebacker spot and I love the way he's playing at safety right now. You look at him, you look at when Coop comes back, and LeRoy," he said. "And then (there's) some good young, talented guys behind them. Drake Martinez is coming along and doing some good things. I think down the line D.J. Singleton is going to be a good player. So you're talking about a safety position I feel pretty good about."

LJS