Huskers vs. Baylor in NCAA Tournament

Our matchup against Baylor is your classic offense versus defense contest:

The Bears are more efficient than us on the offensive end, while the Huskers own the more efficient defense.

Baylor shoots an effective field goal percentage of 51.5% whereas Nebraska shoots an effective field goal percentage of 48.4%. However, Baylor allows an effective field goal percentage of 48.6% whereas the Huskers allow an effective field goal percentage of 47.7%.

Both teams turn the ball over roughly the same percentage of their possessions (14.9% to 15.1%). Nebraska, however, forces a higher turnover percentage from their opponents than Baylor (13.4% to 17%). Hopefully, Nebraska will wind up turning the ball over less and forcing more turnovers out of Baylor than is usual for them.

Baylor is a dominant offensive rebounding team, getting an offensive rebound on around 40% of their possessions. But Nebraska does a good job of allowing opponents just one shot, rebounding the ball 73% of the time. Nebraska doesn't get a lot of offensive rebounds, but Baylor allows more offensive rebounds than normal.

Both teams get to the line roughly the same amount of times, but Baylor doesn't foul as much as Nebraska. Nebraska is the better free throw shooting team.

Baylor is the better passing team, but Nebraska does a better job preventing passes from becoming baskets.

All in all, it's a very intriguing matchup and could come down to the wire.

I other words, the game is a toss up and has the chance to go down to the wire.

Yup, but those are the potentially biggest influencers of the game according to Team Rankings.

So. Score more than your opponent, turn the ball over less, and rebound and you have a 50-50 shot at winning.

I like it. Let's do that.

Pretty sure scoring more than your opponent gives you a much better chance than 50/50

47329124.jpg

Lol...

West Region Preview

Most intriguing opening round matchup: No. 6 Baylor vs. No. 11 Nebraska

Nebraska might have been one of the final at-large teams to get into the tournament but the Cornhuskers should be feared. They have wins on their resume over Michigan State (not at full strength) and Wisconsin. Those teams are capable of reaching the Final Four. They also played Michigan tight in two losses, including one by a single point. Swingman Terran Petteway can fill it up. He hails from Galveston, Texas, and would probably like nothing more than to send one of his home-state teams packing. Baylor just played for the Big 12 Conference tournament championship. The Bears can be very dangerous. They won 10 of their final 12 and present matchup problems with a sharpshooter in Brady Heslip, a talented big in Isaiah Austin and 6-foot-9 forward Cory Jefferson.

Here is how I see it.

Over the last month, Nebraska has been playing at a higher level than an 11 seed. Our 19 wins record is holding us back on the seeding but most of the losses came early in the year before this team took off and started playing better ball.

The problem is, deciding how much better than an 11 seed are they playing. They didn't exactly light it up on a neutral court in Indianapolis and now we have Baylor on a Neutral court.

Unless we have an off night, I think we can play with Baylor. But, we have to have shots falling from the outside to ultimately open it up a little more on the inside. I hear Baylor has some long armed tall middle guys. That's going to make it tough for Petteway and Shields to drive and score unless we can do it while getting fouls.

The Husker in me is taking Nebraska in a close game down to the wire. But, I'm nervous about this game.

Over the last month, Nebraska has been playing at a higher level than an 11 seed. Our 19 wins record is holding us back on the seeding but most of the losses came early in the year before this team took off and started playing better ball.

The problem is, deciding how much better than an 11 seed are they playing. They didn't exactly light it up on a neutral court in Indianapolis and now we have Baylor on a Neutral court.

Unless we have an off night, I think we can play with Baylor. But, we have to have shots falling from the outside to ultimately open it up a little more on the inside. I hear Baylor has some long armed tall middle guys. That's going to make it tough for Petteway and Shields to drive and score unless we can do it while getting fouls.

The Husker in me is taking Nebraska in a close game down to the wire. But, I'm nervous about this game.

Technically...but not really...Baylor is only about 2.5 hrs from SA...Going to be a good one for sure!

West Region Preview

Most intriguing opening round matchup: No. 6 Baylor vs. No. 11 Nebraska

Nebraska might have been one of the final at-large teams to get into the tournament but the Cornhuskers should be feared. They have wins on their resume over Michigan State (not at full strength) and Wisconsin. Those teams are capable of reaching the Final Four. They also played Michigan tight in two losses, including one by a single point. Swingman Terran Petteway can fill it up. He hails from Galveston, Texas, and would probably like nothing more than to send one of his home-state teams packing. Baylor just played for the Big 12 Conference tournament championship. The Bears can be very dangerous. They won 10 of their final 12 and present matchup problems with a sharpshooter in Brady Heslip, a talented big in Isaiah Austin and 6-foot-9 forward Cory Jefferson.

Clearly this guy didn't see the game against Michigan in Ann Arbor