Wide Receiver Notes

Not nearly as much talk about the WRs this spring, probably because we only lost Enunwa and the depth chart would seem to be fairly steady. I'm not so sure though.

Bell was talking up Brandon Reilly after practice today. Called him a stud. He's added a little weight but is apparently still one of the fastest guys on the team. Bell seemed to think he'd be in for a bigger role this year.

And I ready something a day or two ago that I should have posted because now I don't know where it was. It gave me the impression that Westerkamp might be edging ahead of Turner for the starting slot position. Did anyone else see that? It didn't say exactly that but it was something about how Turner was working in behind Westerkamp or something like that. Perhaps it was just for that day as that seems to be happening from time to time this spring at other positions but it also got me wondering if that's why we might be giving Turner some more reps at QB.

Not nearly as much talk about the WRs this spring, probably because we only lost Enunwa and the depth chart would seem to be fairly steady. I'm not so sure though.

Bell was talking up Brandon Reilly after practice today. Called him a stud. He's added a little weight but is apparently still one of the fastest guys on the team. Bell seemed to think he'd be in for a bigger role this year.

And I ready something a day or two ago that I should have posted because now I don't know where it was. It gave me the impression that Westerkamp might be edging ahead of Turner for the starting slot position. Did anyone else see that? It didn't say exactly that but it was something about how Turner was working in behind Westerkamp or something like that. Perhaps it was just for that day as that seems to be happening from time to time this spring at other positions but it also got me wondering if that's why we might be giving Turner some more reps at QB.

I've been wondering if this would happen, was scared to post it though. Westerkamp has a knack for getting open and DOES NOT drop a single ball. Multiple times where Westerkamp got crushed this year and held on. I really think if Westerkamp doesn't "pass" him they will share quite a few minutes.

Solid group, and we really haven't had to wonder much the past few years. Good problem to have. I, for whatever reason, am kind of a fan of Taariq Allen. Would love for him to find regular playing time. It never hurts to have bigger bodied receivers on the field. Especially with how much we stress the run game and blocking out on the perimeter.

More on Taariq:

“I’m worried about competing, being who I am, and just going out there and just playing, and trying to show the coaches that I’m back,” Allen said. “I had a good scrimmage (Saturday) – couple catches here and there, good blocks and stuff – and I’m just trying to do everything right.”

Allen spent his sophomore season trying to regain his old form after suffering a bad knee injury at Michigan in 2012. That, he believes, is finally behind him.

And he does understand that there is an opportunity available with the departure of Enunwa, who had 51 receptions and 12 touchdowns last season.

The same goes for Sam Burtch, Alonzo Moore, Jordan Westerkamp, Kevin Gladney and others so that NU doesn’t have to rely too heavily on returning starters Kenny Bell and Jamal Turner.

OWH

I haven't heard much about/from Kenny Bell. I don't know if that is a good thing or bad thing.

As I said earlier, I think the receivers are viewed more as a known quantity so they're generally not as interesting to write about. Allen is the notable exception because he's had a long recovery from his injury. And you can only write so much saying "Kenny Bell is really good." I think no news is good news in this case.

• 2 weeks later...