LJS | Spring ball halftime: Orange wedges and observations

zoogs

LJS | Spring ball halftime: Orange wedges and observations

...since NU's taken a 10-day hiatus for spring break, it seems a fitting time now to pass out orange wedges and some observations over these foundation-setting practices of March.

Brian Christopherson with a summary of the first half of spring ball in Nebraska Football world (which still exists, remember? :P) Good stuff about Tommy A here:

Armstrong also has the knack of making this his team, something that can't be overplayed when it comes to quarterbacks. He slaps linemen on the pads after a big series and gets noisy when the defense is winning the day.

The quarterback also seems to understand the drill of being Nebraska’s main man outside the lines. He’s already met with the media after practice twice this spring. Both times, his interviews lasted at least 20 minutes, with him one of the last to finish answering questions.

He may not be completely polished at this point, but his experience and chemistry with those around him still give him the clear edge in the QB race.

Also good stuff towards the end on D-line coach Kaz, senior CB Josh Mitchell's vocal leadership, and the wealth of options for receivers coach Rich Fisher in the wake of Quincy Enunwa's departure.

We may be really starting to see those 2012 and 2013 recruiting classes bear fruit. The spotlight's all on them now.

Glad to see the media has their priorities in order. Part of the reason they constantly harped on Martinez was his lack of comfort in front of their microphones. But Tommy A? He does a better job at the podium, so he's got a "clear edge in the QB race." Yeesh. :rolleyes:

And yes, goofballs, I know that's not the only reason he's saying that. But it's such an irrelevant part of the QB's job it doesn't even warrant being mentioned.

"But knapplc, I want a quarterback who does good in front of the microphone and wants ta learn to do other stuff good too!"

Shut your port, bub. Giving a good interview means diddly-squat for a quarterback. He needs to lead the team. He needs to have command of the huddle. He needs to get them down the field by hook or by crook. Score points. That's what the QB needs to do. Period.

drop3.gif

• Fire 4

Linebackers: Zaire Anderson (2012), Michael Rose (2012), Josh Banderas (2013).

Interesting that he doesn't mention Santos. He didn't play well at MIKE but seemed to really come on later in the season when moved back to WILL. And Banderas has been playing BUCK which is where Anderson played last year...

Cornerback Josh Mitchell can't stop talking, which is a good thing. Don't wonder who rises to the top as the vocal leader of the defense. It's the 160-pound senior.

After the offense drove for a score in the first Saturday scrimmage, Mitchell called a huddle and delivered a pep talk with words not all fit for print. Let it be said the offense did not drive for a score on the next series.

:thumbs

But then the defensive backs include 2010 and 2011 class members...

It's supposedly a list of the guys working with the 1st units. Is Santos not? I'm not sure.

Not the most well written article in the world by Christopherson, but at least it was a comprehensive summary :P So I thought I'd share it. Re: quarterbacks and the media, Tommy's always been touted for his leadership qualities. That he's embracing a face-of-the-team role and commands the respect of his teammates older and younger is a good thing, and probably something we'll have to get used to hearing about. Also, it was "his experience and chemistry" with teammates that is giving him the edge in the QB race.

If you don't think communication is a keypart of being a QB, you're dead wrong. Whether that be communicating plays, communicating areas in need if improvement, communicating as a friend and a leader. Knowing "how" to talk to people will get you a long way in this world in every aspect of life. Quarterbacking an offense full of 18-21 year olds, hell yes you better know how to talk to em', and they'd better respect what you have to say. Not sure what some of you were like when you were that age, but if I didn't think you were worth listening to or you didn't come off to me in the right way, your words were wasted breath.

If you can't even pass off a piddle sh#t Lincoln Journal interview and just feed those guys the answers they want to hear, well then son, you got issues. You got to be smarter than that. It's a game. You give them what they want and you get what you want. You can create problems, or you can brush adversity off like a fly in the outfield. We need guys who don't let adversity become the focus of the team. Guys who push through stuff like that. On a team right now that I feel may pay too much attention to outside negativity, I'd say a smart communicator, a leader, and a no nonsense competitor is exactly what this team needs. Especially at QB. Others tend to follow.

• Fire 3

Santos may not have been mentioned because the article was focusing on the contributions of the '12 and '13 classes.

But then the defensive backs include 2010 and 2011 class members...

Exactly what I thought. At first it wasn't a big deal but then when the DBs included other guys I was curious. Of course, it's also possibly that he didn't think about including other guys until he kind of had to when he got to the DBs and didn't got back and add Santos.

Josh Mitchell becoming one of my favorite players. Exactly what we need out there. But it only works if when you talk, people listen. I hope he's motivating in the right way and people are receptive. When things break down out there, you need someone who knows the system well who can not only direct, but rally the troops. Not enough of this in the past and it became clear why a few weeks ago. As I said a season ago, one of the players finally came out and acknowledged that it was hard to tell people what they should be doing when they weren't even comfortable in their own responsibilities. I know, I pat myself on the back a lot, but it's only because I'm generally right nearly all the time, and none of you would ever acknowledge how accurate I usually am.

If you don't think communication is a keypart of being a QB, you're dead wrong. Whether that be communicating plays, communicating areas in need if improvement, communicating as a friend and a leader. Knowing "how" to talk to people will get you a long way in this world in every aspect of life. Quarterbacking an offense full of 18-21 year olds, hell yes you better know how to talk to em', and they'd better respect what you have to say. Not sure what some of you were like when you were that age, but if I didn't think you were worth listening to or you didn't come off to me in the right way, your words were wasted breath.

If you can't even pass off a piddle sh#t Lincoln Journal interview and just feed those guys the answers they want to hear, well then son, you got issues. You got to be smarter than that. It's a game. You give them what they want and you get what you want. You can create problems, or you can brush adversity off like a fly in the outfield. We need guys who don't let adversity become the focus of the team. Guys who push through stuff like that. On a team right now that I feel may pay too much attention to outside negativity, I'd say a smart communicator, a leader, and a no nonsense competitor is exactly what this team needs. Especially at QB. Others tend to follow.

ibkv3ti1ofhlvo.gif

• Fire 1

ibkv3ti1ofhlvo.gif

No idea what that meant but I laughed my ass off.+1

ibkv3ti1ofhlvo.gif

No idea what that meant but I laughed my ass off.+1

I was just anticipating that your comment will lead to a thread meltdown, derailing into a long Martinez bash-fest. But really, I found it earlier today, laughed my a$$ off, and was just waiting for an opportunity to use it.

• Fire 1