Left-Hand Baseball Catcher

Same reason you don't see many left-handed infielders on the left side. Harder throw to make. Snap throws to first with a left-handed catcher wouldn't work very often.

That doesn't make sense, at least not for that reason. For infielders, a lefty would have to turn his body quite a bit to square up and make the throw to first, while a righty can basically just throw across his body. Looking at catchers, a lefty catcher would more easily make the throw to first because he can also throw across his body as opposed to a righty who must turn the body to square up to first. Look at a baseball diamond and you'll see that a lefty catcher has the same basic throw to first as a righty infielder does. If anything, the throw to third is harder, and if you wanted to say that throw is more important I couldn't argue with you.

I always figured that the main reason is that a righty catcher has a more clear shot of throwing without the batter in the way the 2/3 of the time (or whatever it is) when a righty batter is up. So there's been that bias through the years, so there are very few or no catchers mitts for lefty throwers as kids are growing up, so lefty kids don't become catchers, and that bias perpetuates itself. Maybe that'll change with online shopping as I can find catchers mitts for lefty throwers online, but I can't ever remember seeing one at Kep Hardings or K Mart or anywhere else you'd find a glove when I was a kid.

And it's not "absolutely none". Benny Distefano caught in 3 games in 1989. A few others have caught a few games in major league history. No regulars.

Same reason you don't see many left-handed infielders on the left side. Harder throw to make. Snap throws to first with a left-handed catcher wouldn't work very often.

That doesn't make sense, at least not for that reason. For infielders, a lefty would have to turn his body quite a bit to square up and make the throw to first, while a righty can basically just throw across his body. Looking at catchers, a lefty catcher would more easily make the throw to first because he can also throw across his body as opposed to a righty who must turn the body to square up to first. Look at a baseball diamond and you'll see that a lefty catcher has the same basic throw to first as a righty infielder does. If anything, the throw to third is harder, and if you wanted to say that throw is more important I couldn't argue with you.

I always figured that the main reason is that a righty catcher has a more clear shot of throwing without the batter in the way the 2/3 of the time (or whatever it is) when a righty batter is up. So there's been that bias through the years, so there are very few or no catchers mitts for lefty throwers as kids are growing up, so lefty kids don't become catchers, and that bias perpetuates itself. Maybe that'll change with online shopping as I can find catchers mitts for lefty throwers online, but I can't ever remember seeing one at Kep Hardings or K Mart or anywhere else you'd find a glove when I was a kid.

And it's not "absolutely none". Benny Distefano caught in 3 games in 1989. A few others have caught a few games in major league history. No regulars.

I look at a baseball diamond five days a week since I am a baseball coach. Throwing across your body as a catcher is different than throwing across your body for an infielder. Every little second counts when you're trying to pick the base runner off. Throwing across the body on a snap throw takes longer than a right handed catcher throwing from his knees.

It takes years to become a good catcher. Most catchers start at a young age and since most younger players are right handed batters, you put a right handed catcher behind the plate to make those throws to first and second easier. Even throwing to third is easier since a left handed catcher would have to turn his body and try and avoid the batter. I only have three left-handed hitters on my team out of twelve. One of which is a natural lefty. The other two throw right and hit left because it is a advantage to be a left handed hitter considering most pitchers are right handed. If I am a MLB team, Im drafting the guy that has caught for 15 years, which is most likely a righty since most youth players are right handed. Im not a gonna draft a lefty just to try and turn him into a catcher. That's my thinking as a coach. Every coach thinks differently and they may want a left handed catcher.

I look at a baseball diamond five days a week since I am a baseball coach. Throwing across your body as a catcher is different than throwing across your body for an infielder. Every little second counts when you're trying to pick the base runner off. Throwing across the body on a snap throw takes longer than a right handed catcher throwing from his knees.

So is it the same or is it different? LOL.

You don't have to answer. I'm not looking to pick a fight. Whatever the technical reasons are, a lot of it also has to do with the traditional nature of baseball. A coach is looking for a catcher on his youth baseball team, and automatically passes over the few lefties on the team because everyone "knows" they can't be catcher, and they don't have a mitt for them anyway. At that point it's pretty well locked in because as you move to higher levels you usually don't put someone new behind the plate, as we've both said. And even if you have a renegade coach who is willing to try a lefty back there, the next traditional coach is likely to take one look and say "No."

It takes years to become a good catcher. Most catchers start at a young age and since most younger players are right handed batters, you put a right handed catcher behind the plate to make those throws to first and second easier. Even throwing to third is easier since a left handed catcher would have to turn his body and try and avoid the batter. I only have three left-handed hitters on my team out of twelve. One of which is a natural lefty. The other two throw right and hit left because it is a advantage to be a left handed hitter considering most pitchers are right handed. If I am a MLB team, Im drafting the guy that has caught for 15 years, which is most likely a righty since most youth players are right handed. Im not a gonna draft a lefty just to try and turn him into a catcher. That's my thinking as a coach. Every coach thinks differently and they may want a left handed catcher.

This is the biggest key to me. It's not that lefty's couldn't do it but I would say 80% of little league hitters are right handed placing a bigger need on a right handed catcher. This and any kid that is left handed that can throw hard is immediately put on the mound.

So is it the same or is it different? LOL.

You don't have to answer. I'm not looking to pick a fight. Whatever the technical reasons are, a lot of it also has to do with the traditional nature of baseball. A coach is looking for a catcher on his youth baseball team, and automatically passes over the few lefties on the team because everyone "knows" they can't be catcher, and they don't have a mitt for them anyway. At that point it's pretty well locked in because as you move to higher levels you usually don't put someone new behind the plate, as we've both said. And even if you have a renegade coach who is willing to try a lefty back there, the next traditional coach is likely to take one look and say "No."

Who needs to make a quicker throw? A catcher trying to catch someone sleeping at first base or a SS that has a groundball hit at him? That's what I mean by its different.

A left handed catcher doesn't get that guy out because he needs to throw across his body. You may say well, its really not that big of a difference. Baseball is a game of inches. A little more time on a throw means safe rather than out.

A left handed catcher doesn't get that guy out because he needs to throw across his body. You may say well, its really not that big of a difference. Baseball is a game of inches. A little more time on a throw means safe rather than out.

I friendly disagree. In fact IMO, lefty's are slightly quicker throws for above Gomes youtube. At least equal. I tend VA Husker argument .... "there's been that bias through the years, so there are very few or no catchers mitts for lefty throwers as kids are growing up, so lefty kids don't become catchers, and that bias perpetuates itself"

Destination: first base throw:

3rd baseman - negative angle (throw across his body)

Shortstop - negative angle

2nd baseman - negative angle

right handed catcher - positive angle

I friendly disagree. In fact IMO, lefty's are slightly quicker throws for above Gomes youtube. At least equal. I tend VA Husker argument .... "there's been that bias through the years, so there are very few or no catchers mitts for lefty throwers as kids are growing up, so lefty kids don't become catchers, and that bias perpetuates itself"

Well, become a coach and put a lefty behind the plate then. Start a new trend. You can have custom made gloves made, just look at Pat Venditte.

As for my only lefty thrower, he is the fastest player on my team, so there is no way Im putting him behind the plate and wasting his talent when he could be running down balls in center field.

Destination: first base throw:

3rd baseman - negative angle (throw across his body)

Shortstop - negative angle

2nd baseman - negative angle

right handed catcher - positive angle

When you throw across your body, the arm has to travel further to get your release point where you want it. That takes time. SS and 3B have time to make the throw to first. Catchers need extremely quick releases.

High School, College and Pro managers are not stupid. They know the game better than anyone. Its not a bias. If the managers thought a left handed catcher gave them a better chance of being successful, theyd go with a left handed catcher. There is a reason all starting catchers in MLB are right handed.