An Open Letter to Kain Colter

Landlord

+1 Landlord. Sadly, in a world where everyone is out to get theirs (deserving or not) It's never going to be enough.

Student Athletes have families to feed too. Latrell Sprewell agrees.

image.png

He's just mad that nobody bought his spinner rim DaDa shoes. Except the idiot kids down the street from me.

Very nicely put, Landlord. I'd add that, if this was simply about ensuring that injured athletes don't have their scholarships revoked, then a solution could have been forged in a way that doesn't involve unionizing and being considered employees.

With regards to Division II schools not being able to stay afloat--most Division I programs, I believe all but 6, have to rely on government subsidiaries in order to turn a little bit of profit. You can see where this is going: less revenue (because some of this original revenue could potentially go to student athletes) means higher subsidiaries. It's going to come to a point where college football isn't seen as a profitable venture by any university. Heck, it's hardly profitable for most as things currently stand.

There is no doubt in my mind that athletes contribute a significant amount of their lives to the university. But, I have to wonder, didn't they know that this was going to be before they entered college? I guess it's a perspective I don't have--I can't speak from experience.

But, to empathize for a second: if I were a football player, I'd probably be playing football for Whatever University for one of two reasons. First, I know I don't stand a much of a chance at the NFL, but free education would allow me to leave college debt free with a degree that leads to a potential career (Sean Fisher, anyone?). Or, I know I stand a good chance at getting to the NFL, so I'm incredibly thankful for the notoriety, training, and nutritionists that allow me to stay NFL-caliber; and the education that allows me to play every Saturday.

The way I see it, it really comes down to choice. If you want an education and love playing football, there are going to come times when those two values conflict (and the fact that those values even conflict with each other is a sad reality), and you're going to have to choose one or the other. So I think it comes down to the coaching staff of every school to find a way where a student-athlete can play the sport he or she loves, but still make time for an education that they care about. I think Shavon Shields is a microbiology major, which undoubtedly interferes with basketball at points in the season. I think there came a week or two during the season where he had a major exam in one of his classes and Tim worked something out with him so that he could practice and still find time to study.

It might not have been their intention to lead college athletics down the road to "professionalism." Then again, Karl Marx never called himself a Communist.

• Fire 2

My daughter is a senior this year and was told that there was a good chance she could play small college volleyball. After thinking about it, unless she got a full ride scholarship, she didn't want to do it due to the time it would take away from academics. NOW, if she would have been offered a full ride, she would have seriously considered it for the sole purpose of getting her education paid for. Ultimately, she got an academic scholarship to pay for most of it so she didn't see the value in playing college sports.

I don't understand a kid who gets a full ride to play the game he obviously loves to play and then be upset that he isn't getting paid more.

Another thing that I heard on the radio this morning is a comment that these schools are making huge amounts of money that help build facilities for both athletics and academics. Hmmmm....as has been stated before, most football programs don't make money without some type of subsidy. So.....after all expenses are paid, how are most schools making huge amounts of money off of these sports?

In any business, you can't just look at the dollars of revenue you are producing and puff your chest out. You also have to put the expenses up against it and if there is a lot left...THEN you can puff your chest out. Last I knew, the school still needed huge amounts of donations to build all those fancy buildings that the athletes love.

My daughter is a senior this year and was told that there was a good chance she could play small college volleyball. After thinking about it, unless she got a full ride scholarship, she didn't want to do it due to the time it would take away from academics. NOW, if she would have been offered a full ride, she would have seriously considered it for the sole purpose of getting her education paid for. Ultimately, she got an academic scholarship to pay for most of it so she didn't see the value in playing college sports.

I don't understand a kid who gets a full ride to play the game he obviously loves to play and then be upset that he isn't getting paid more.

Another thing that I heard on the radio this morning is a comment that these schools are making huge amounts of money that help build facilities for both athletics and academics. Hmmmm....as has been stated before, most football programs don't make money without some type of subsidy. So.....after all expenses are paid, how are most schools making huge amounts of money off of these sports?

In any business, you can't just look at the dollars of revenue you are producing and puff your chest out. You also have to put the expenses up against it and if there is a lot left...THEN you can puff your chest out. Last I knew, the school still needed huge amounts of donations to build all those fancy buildings that the athletes love.

And who is it that gets to use such academic and athletic facilities?

See, this is where I stand as well. To me there's just an abundance of hypocrisy in this whole. No one's making money in this day and age. Any dime made is getting spent and reinvested.

Excellent point, and it's another thing to consider:

There is no doubt in anyone's mind that college athletes are, in a boiled down sense, the reason we watch and attend games. Those two, along with merchandizing and concessions, generate a huge amount of revenue, which those college athletes should see something of.

And they do. The nutrition, the tutors, the education, the professional training, the facilities, the hoodies, backpacks, and clothing that athletes have the luxury of receiving--all of that, costs money. But that's not good enough? Like, this is stuff that should be expected? That's the part that gets me.

In the end, I think student-athletes should be aware of a very simple statement: Fans (and thus the money) don't exist without college athletes, but college athletes don't exist without the fans (and thus the money). All of this could be gone in a moment. Then what?

• Fire 1