Armstrong Leading the QB Race

For whatever it's worth, I give Johnny Stanton an ever-so-slight edge over walk-on Ryker Fyfe in the race for top backup.

What's that? You expected a heated competition for the starting job?

Sorry, nothing to see here. Move along.

I'd like to report that someone is breathing down projected starter Tommy Armstrong's neck on a daily basis. But the third-year sophomore appears to lead by a comfortable margin.

Fyfe, also a third-year sophomore, says he's "still trying to figure out things." The redshirt freshman Stanton, off-limits to reporters because he hasn't yet appeared in a game, probably would tell you the same.

That said, I thought Stanton looked good in the last scrimmage I saw (March 15). He seemed to gain confidence with almost every play. He has a strong arm. He runs the ball well — a big, raw-boned kid who uses his frame (6-foot-2, 225 pounds) well. He still looks a bit too deliberate in his movements — which is to be expected as he grows into the offense.

Don't overlook the 6-2 Fyfe, a savvy competitor with plenty of athletic ability and confidence.

However, neither Stanton nor Fyfe has Armstrong's presence. Not even close. Watching Armstrong in practice, everything about his body language says, "I'm the man." What's more, he has excellent command of the offense. Fyfe said Armstrong rarely makes mental mistakes.

LJS

I really do like the swagger and confidence that Armstrong brings to the offense. Making the right reads and not turning the ball over can be coached much easier than athletic ability (which he has), arm strength (which he has), and natural leadership ability (which he has in abundance).

That's something that has seemed to be missing with our offensive unit the past couple years: UNITY. I'm really get the sense that this year, our offense will be a group of guys willing to put themselves on the line for the benefit of the team. Or at least I hope so. Too bad football season is still 4-5 months away...

I'm tired of hearing about presence. Can he make the right reads, make plays and not commit turnovers. If so, we can do some good things, if not, 9-4 will look good.

The most important thing is the guy's ability to play. That said, I still love hearing that he's got a dominating presence. I like that kind of guy leading my offense. People bashed TM all the time for his presence (or lack there of).

I brought this up in the TA/Stanton thread, but this article just further substantiates what I've been hearing. Stanton can get better over the summer and into fall camp, but many signs point to TA having a sizeable advantage right now. You have to really have a special ability to supplant a guy with eight games of playing experience and an extra year in the system. That doesn't mean Stanton won't turn into a very good football player, but, it makes sense that he's lagging behind right now.

Good Lord....the kid just finished his freshman year of football and people are already writing him off and wishing someone else was the QB.

Where are these people at? Besides in your head.

OK...how am I supposed to take when an article is posted basically showing that he will be our starting QB next year and most people posting are people that don't think our record will be any better than last year with 4 losses?

Good Lord....the kid just finished his freshman year of football and people are already writing him off and wishing someone else was the QB.

OK...how am I supposed to take when an article is posted basically showing that he will be our starting QB next year and most people posting are people that don't think our record will be any better than last year with 4 losses?

What basis do we have to go on that the record will be different regardless of the QB?

Take it however you want, but taking it as "people are already writing him off and wishing someone else was the QB" doesn't seem like a logical conclusion at all. We've had the same record the last 6 years despite all kinds of different quarterbacks.

Take it however you want, but taking it as "people are already writing him off and wishing someone else was the QB" doesn't seem like a logical conclusion at all. We've had the same record the last 6 years despite all kinds of different quarterbacks.

Erm,

Nebraska had the same quarterback for half of those six years.....

Either way, there are bigger factors at play for why Nebraska is in a four loss rut then who's behind center.

• Fire 1