Phil Steele says no dice for Huskers in AP

Polo you are scaring me. You sound like me, and now I sound like you. Where have we gone wrong. It really cracks me up as you were always pro Bo and I have been against him since day one. One more year man. Either he does it or he is gone I think. Money was the reason this year, I am pretty sure of it.

I know you hope he wins all of them this year, just as I do. I am trying very hard to be positive this year. If it is another we won 9 and got ran out of town any of the other 4 I will be done. And I think a certain Texas booster will be to. For the first time I heard negatives from him... And I mean the first time ever!

The only thing early rankings are good for are national recognition when ESPN is deciding what game is the sexiest to put on tv.

That actaully is not true, Auburn notwithstanding, its incredibly easier to get into and remain in good positions after a loss with a high early ranking.

Case in point, Nebraska in 2010 before the wheels came off. Oddly, there were precious few who "didn't care about worthless preseason polls" back then

Dont get me wrong, I enjoy the polls because hell its something to wet the pallette before the season. But really there are so many different versions of the polls early onnits hard to keep track of who is in and whose just outside, namely us now.

It does help sell a big game though IF you dont have a sexy name. It can also be the deciding factor if there are two big games on at the same time. They CAN help you climb the polls if you start with a good rank and end with a weak schedule. But Auburn just showed in 2013 you dont have to be ranked to get to the top.

The polls have meant nothing until the final one of the year. Basically, the preseason polls are saying that they are picking 2 teams to play for the NC in APRIL and as long as they don't lose, that's what it will be.

The BCS rankings from time to time have jumbled the top 3 or 4 as long as they were undefeated but it never varied drastically. So who gives a damn if you're ranked #9 or #29 in April?

• Fire 1

The only thing early rankings are good for are national recognition when ESPN is deciding what game is the sexiest to put on tv.

That actaully is not true, Auburn notwithstanding, its incredibly easier to get into and remain in good positions after a loss with a high early ranking.

Case in point, Nebraska in 2010 before the wheels came off. Oddly, there were precious few who "didn't care about worthless preseason polls" back then

Dont get me wrong, I enjoy the polls because hell its something to wet the pallette before the season. But really there are so many different versions of the polls early onnits hard to keep track of who is in and whose just outside, namely us now.

It does help sell a big game though IF you dont have a sexy name. It can also be the deciding factor if there are two big games on at the same time. They CAN help you climb the polls if you start with a good rank and end with a weak schedule. But Auburn just showed in 2013 you dont have to be ranked to get to the top.

Auburn also lost early, then rolled through the second half of the season. This is where the SEC dominates the other conferences...schedules. An early loss is much easier to come back from. We have cup cakes for weeks, if we are going to lose, it's going to be late.

So while an SEC team can start lower and finish higher, it's harder for a B1G team. A B1G team knocking off cupcakes has a harder time moving up the polls, because they're beating cupcakes. (don't think anyone will argue that) Then when they get their single loss, it's late in the season and it's harder to recover from because instead of being 8-0 and ranked #7, they're 8-0 and ranked #12 at the time of the loss. That's a big difference when we're talking about getting into the top 4. Most seasons everyone vying for the top 4 will have a single loss...where we start, and when we lose are two of the biggest factors in where we end. Ignoring half that equation isn't possible just because it doesn't work well for ol NU. And don't tell me the committee is going to ignore the rankings. They're going to be there every step of the way, it's impossible to ignore.

The polls have meant nothing until the final one of the year. Basically, the preseason polls are saying that they are picking 2 teams to play for the NC in APRIL and as long as they don't lose, that's what it will be.

The BCS rankings from time to time have jumbled the top 3 or 4 as long as they were undefeated but it never varied drastically. So who gives a damn if you're ranked #9 or #29 in April?

The polls do mean something. They establish an early bias. This can be unfairly beneficial and also detrimental to a team depending on where they're at - especially good teams from non-AQ conferences; their ability to make BCS games depends entirely on being ranked a certain place in the polls. Being ranked higher lends you more media coverage and attention, which in turn makes you more visible and in a more positive way to recruits, gets you better tv slots, etc.

The polls do mean something. They establish an early bias. This can be unfairly beneficial and also detrimental to a team depending on where they're at - especially good teams from non-AQ conferences; their ability to make BCS games depends entirely on being ranked a certain place in the polls. Being ranked higher lends you more media coverage and attention, which in turn makes you more visible and in a more positive way to recruits, gets you better tv slots, etc.

Yes, all this. The Joe Schmo poll may be meaningless, but the major polls certainly aren't, even pre-season. Right or wrong, and it's mostly wrong, they do have significant impact in many aspects. Bring up most scoreboard sites and the default is almost always to show the top 25 games. Watch highlights from ESPN and they spend most of their time on top 25 games, and very little outside the top 25. I believe this exposure, or lack of it, has a pretty big impact on recruiting nationally.

Yes, all this. The Joe Schmo poll may be meaningless, but the major polls certainly aren't, even pre-season. Right or wrong, and it's mostly wrong, they do have significant impact in many aspects. Bring up most scoreboard sites and the default is almost always to show the top 25 games. Watch highlights from ESPN and they spend most of their time on top 25 games, and very little outside the top 25. I believe this exposure, or lack of it, has a pretty big impact on recruiting nationally.

As we sit potentially unranked in the polls but #7, #8, and #12 in recruiting.

Oh come on man, don't strawman me you're better than that :) Obviously your national ranking and your recruiting ranking are not a direct, exact correlation.

it will work itself out fairly quickly. neb. wins its non-con and they will jump up drastically.

the only bad thing about preseason rankings is that it is so hard to knock the top teams down. they get so many bites at the apple. especially if they are losing to other highly ranked teams. so, the problem is that it ends up being self-referential, but generally teams end up where they should.

Just win, baby.

This is why I don't think that polls should come out until the first of October.

Everyone realizes that all past experiences we have had with polls are meaningless now, right? A committee is picking who goes to the 4-team playoff and which team outside the big 5 conferences (previously known as the BCS conferences less the Big East) will get into a major bowl. The other teams in the bowl games are back to the old system of mostly conference tie-ins.

It doesn't matter whether you can climb back up the polls because you lose early or late. The polls are completely and utterly meaningless. It's a brand new world in college football.

Oh come on man, don't strawman me you're better than that :) Obviously your national ranking and your recruiting ranking are not a direct, exact correlation.

Of course. Just thought it was a funny statement

That is kind of funny, and I hadn't realized we were that high up there at this point in 2015 recruiting, but there are a lot of uncommitted 5*'s out there. Where will we be on signing day?

That is kind of funny, and I hadn't realized we were that high up there at this point in 2015 recruiting, but there are a lot of uncommitted 5*'s out there. Where will we be on signing day?

It will be tough to say because of our low number of potential commits

Everyone realizes that all past experiences we have had with polls are meaningless now, right? A committee is picking who goes to the 4-team playoff and which team outside the big 5 conferences (previously known as the BCS conferences less the Big East) will get into a major bowl. The other teams in the bowl games are back to the old system of mostly conference tie-ins.

It doesn't matter whether you can climb back up the polls because you lose early or late. The polls are completely and utterly meaningless. It's a brand new world in college football.

I see what you're saying but it is still of relative importance where a team is ranked. It can't be completely top 4 or bust mentality. If that were the case, should we quit paying attention for this season already? Because, I hate to break the news but, we very likely will not be top 4 by the end of the upcoming season (I know- I'm really going out on a limb here with this prediction). I can guarantee that most fans will feel it is important and meaningful if we are ranked #6 or #10 or #20 or unranked come seasons end.