Tommy Armstrong - Nebraska QB learns from mistakes

Armstrong showed promise last season. He combined to go 20 of 28 with three touchdowns and no interceptions in back-to-back home wins over South Dakota State and Illinois. He completed 5 of 7 passes during the winning, 75-yard touchdown drive at Michigan. He threw a 99-yard TD pass in the second half to break open the Gator Bowl win against Georgia.

But he was picked off three times while splitting time with Kellogg in a win at Purdue. After he threw three interceptions at home against Northwestern, including one that set up the Wildcats' go-ahead touchdown late in the fourth quarter, Kellogg came in and heaved the Hail Mary that won the game.

"When my number was called, sometimes I responded and sometimes I didn't," Armstrong said. "Ron saved me sometimes."

Armstrong turned his ankle in the first quarter at Penn State, and Kellogg came in to lead the Huskers to an overtime win. The injury kept Armstrong out of the final regular-season game, a loss to Iowa, and had him feeling sorry for himself.

He said his outlook changed after coach Bo Pelini called him one night before the team began practicing for the bowl. Pelini's message: the offense is now yours, and you need to act like it.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10750131/tommy-armstrong-quarterback-nebraska-huskers-says-learned-mistakes

His admission that he didn't prepare himself as well as he should have was both honest and annoying. In football you always have to be ready, the "next man up" mentality has to hold sway.

However, if that's Tommy 'not fully prepared,' I can't wait to see what he does with a full offseason gearing up to run the show. He cleans up the turnovers (which could happen simply because he won't be a R-Fr.) and this could be a hell of a season.

• Fire 2

His admission that he didn't prepare himself as well as he should have was both honest and annoying. In football you always have to be ready, the "next man up" mentality has to hold sway.

However, if that's Tommy 'not fully prepared,' I can't wait to see what he does with a full offseason gearing up to run the show. He cleans up the turnovers (which could happen simply because he won't be a R-Fr.) and this could be a hell of a season.

Completely agree.

Youth is no longer an acceptable excuse for Tommy. Plenty of QBs around the country are doing things above their grade level. Hell the Heisman was won by someone in Tommy's grade playing the same position.

Nobody's saying it is acceptable. It was somewhat understandable last year. Nobody, Tommy first and foremost, is making excuses for 2014.

• Fire 2

Because I'm dead wrong always about this coaching staff, I'm going to assume that Tommy was doing everything he was asked, trying his best to prepare, in case he was thrust into the spotlight.

Because he has the experience now, he now knows there is now substitute for actually playing in real time football.

I'm glad he got the reps, he's the first incoming QB to get real ones before he was the de facto starter going into the year since the. Newcombe/Crouch days.

Youth is no longer an acceptable excuse for Tommy. Plenty of QBs around the country are doing things above their grade level. Hell the Heisman was won by someone in Tommy's grade playing the same position.

Because every single freshman and sophomore quarterback should be Heisman trophy candidates right off the bat.

No.... but tommy wasn't even on the same planet as those guys.

He threw eight interceptions, and his rate of one for every 16.3 passes was the fourth-worst mark in the Bowl Subdivision for quarterbacks with at least 100 attempts, according to STATS.

That's a problem. Same issues as the last QB, with none of the gamebreaking ability.

Quarterbacks doing things above their grade level is still not the norm in college football. I also assume you're referring to Jameis Winston. He has significantly better talent to work with around him than TA. Winston's still a great player, but you're only as good as the talent around you, unless you're just a freak. But, even then, you still need good pieces to work with.

Heck, Manziel probably wouldn't be the QB he is if he didn't have Mike Evans to throw to.

I really like how Bo put it "Its your offense now, act like it." Thats about as good of motivation as you can give a kid. Proof would be his performance in the bowl.

I want him to do great and I hope he cleans up the turnovers. Kids talented, no doubt about it.

I really like how Bo put it "Its your offense now, act like it." Thats about as good of motivation as you can give a kid. Proof would be his performance in the bowl.

And he did, if the bowl game was anything to judge him by. He looked calm and ready to play, and we had our first bowl win in three years.

• Fire 1

And he did, if the bowl game was anything to judge him by. He looked calm and ready to play, and we had our first bowl win in three years.

Yeah, I think he looked his most collected and calm against Georgia. Just needed Bo to put it out in front of him a bit.