Tommy Armstrong - Nebraska QB learns from mistakes

Literally an exposition of opinion passed as fact.

I realized I didn't need that part since you ignored the latter part of my post, which was not opinion. It is useful as a reminder to not get so excited and overly verbose. I stand by my main point, which is fact: Including HS, Tommy had more snaps playing QB under his belt than Taylor did as a redshirt freshman. Don't underestimate his four years of HS QB experience to Taylor's one.This is a bet for sure, but one I'm confident in making. He'll have a more advanced QB acumen by the time he leaves than Taylor did. We watched Taylor learn the position in real-time, my bet is that we won't have to do so with Tommy anywhere close to as long as we did Taylor.

Thank you. It's funny how quickly people forgot Taylor was being talked about for a Heisman prior to his Sophmore year, but injuries put a stop to that quickly.

I'd rather take a competent QB than a confident one. Numbers don't lie, freshman to freshman numbers show Martinez was better.

Maybe Armstrong makes a huge jump and becomes the QB we hope he can be. As of now he has proven nothing.

You're not disproving my point, the Heisman is a popularity contest heavily weighted towards whoever produces sexier highlight reels. I highly doubt Tommy will ever sniff Heisman consideration or come close to matching Taylor's stats, we don't need him to. Our team strategy is designed for strong defense and ball-control run game. All he has to do is become better at limiting mistakes and calculating risk, and in that department he is further along than Taylor was at that time. And I'm betting he will learn it quicker and do a better job at it than Taylor did. I know he hasn't proven it yet, but the more nuanced observations of his decision making (ex. his habit of overthrowing receivers, knowing when to take a sack) make me bullish on his development.

I realized I didn't need that part since you ignored the latter part of my post, which was not opinion. It is useful as a reminder to not get so excited and overly verbose. I stand by my main point, which is fact: Including HS, Tommy had more snaps playing QB under his belt than Taylor did as a redshirt freshman. Don't underestimate his four years of HS QB experience to Taylor's one.This is a bet for sure, but one I'm confident in making. He'll have a more advanced QB acumen by the time he leaves than Taylor did. We watched Taylor learn the position in real-time, my bet is that we won't have to do so with Tommy anywhere close to as long as we did Taylor.

Thank you. It's funny how quickly people forgot Taylor was being talked about for a Heisman prior to his Sophmore year, but injuries put a stop to that quickly.

I'd rather take a competent QB than a confident one. Numbers don't lie, freshman to freshman numbers show Martinez was better.

Maybe Armstrong makes a huge jump and becomes the QB we hope he can be. As of now he has proven nothing.

You're not disproving my point, the Heisman is a popularity contest heavily weighted towards whoever produces sexier highlight reels. I highly doubt Tommy will ever sniff Heisman consideration or come close to matching Taylor's stats, we don't need him to. Our team strategy is designed for strong defense and ball-control run game. All he has to do is become better at limiting mistakes and calculating risk, and in that department he is further along than Taylor was at that time. And I'm betting he will learn it quicker and do a better job at it than Taylor did. I know he hasn't proven it yet, but the more nuanced observations of his decision making (ex. his habit of overthrowing receivers, knowing when to take a sack) make me bullish on his development.

There are plenty of 4 year high school QBs that will never play a down in college. Playing in high school does not make him better than Taylor. Tommy has a lot to prove. He is nowhere near the caliber of player Martinez was his freshman year. I hope he has a hell of a summer.

Kind of a goofy one at that.

Our team strategy is designed for strong defense and ball-control run game. All he has to do is become better at limiting mistakes and calculating risk, and in that department he is further along than Taylor was at that time.

Taylor's turnovers through his first 8 games - 3 interceptions, 3 fumbles = 6 total

Tommy's turnovers through his first 8 games - 8 interceptions, 4 fumbles = 12 total

So your claim is that Tommy is better than Taylor was at the same point in their careers as far as limiting mistakes, even though Tommy had double the amount of turnovers, while splitting his time with another quarterback, and playing in a more conservative offense?

• Fire 3

Our team strategy is designed for strong defense and ball-control run game. All he has to do is become better at limiting mistakes and calculating risk, and in that department he is further along than Taylor was at that time.

Taylor's turnovers through his first 8 games - 3 interceptions, 3 fumbles = 6 total

Tommy's turnovers through his first 8 games - 8 interceptions, 4 fumbles = 12 total

So your claim is that Tommy is better than Taylor was at the same point in their careers as far as limiting mistakes, even though Tommy had double the amount of turnovers, while splitting his time with another quarterback, and playing in a more conservative offense?

Numbers don't matter, because he looks more confident... or... something.

Um......

The reason in my mind why Tommy is more advanced than Taylor was at the same point of his career is that Tommy has a much easier learning curve than Taylor did.

Numbers don't matter, because he looks more confident... or... something.

Telepathy bro.

This whole conversation is stupid. Who cares if Tommy this or Taylor that?

Taylor was fun and frustrating and I'm glad he was our quarterback. But he's gone, time to move on, and put his accomplishments to rest. Comparing Taylor to any current quarterback is crazy - the skills are different, athletic ability is different, leadership skills are different, the team around the quarterback is different... that list goes on and on.

Tommy will be what Tommy will be. Whether he's ahead of or behind Taylor at this point in his career isn't relative to how he'll end up, and there is zero conclusion to be drawn from the games we've watched.

It seems like the "in" thing to do lately is pick a player and like him more than another player. That has to be a product of boredom. If he's wearing a Nebraska jersey, he's got my full support. This picking and choosing needs to stop.

• Fire 5

Taylor was fun and frustrating and I'm glad he was our quarterback. But he's gone, time to move on, and put his accomplishments to rest. Comparing Taylor to any current quarterback is crazy - the skills are different, athletic ability is different, leadership skills are different, the team around the quarterback is different... that list goes on and on.

Tommy will be what Tommy will be. Whether he's ahead of or behind Taylor at this point in his career isn't relative to how he'll end up, and there is zero conclusion to be drawn from the games we've watched.

It seems like the "in" thing to do lately is pick a player and like him more than another player. That has to be a product of boredom. If he's wearing a Nebraska jersey, he's got my full support. This picking and choosing needs to stop.

I think the issue is more of propping a guy up by dissing another one. If you have to do that, maybe you need to rethink what your opinion....

• Fire 1

:clap:wasted

Thank you.

• 1 month later...