Tommy Armstrong - Nebraska QB learns from mistakes

Not sure what I watched of the spring game, made me feel like we are set at q/b. Not impressed at all with T A. Stanton needs more reps. Fyfe looked like the best of the three, but no one was really trying to put the kind of hits on him , that would rattle him into mistakes.. So much expected for this season, not sure if some of the predictions that have us out of the top 25, to start the season, aren't maybe to far off. If our q/b play isn't better than what the spring game showed.

GBR!!!

I'm very surprised at the amount at which people lack confidence in Armstrong. I'm very excited that he's likely to start at QB and that is largely for one reason that I don't think gets enough mention: The dude is 7-1 as a starter. Granted he contributed most to that one loss, but given how mediocre his stats were over the season, that is still an impressive stat. Until that winning percentage becomes significantly worse, I say keep on keepin on.

I can't tell you how much more relieved I felt during those 8 games than TM's years as a starter. I was nervous and clenched my butt before every snap Taylor took and it was like a huge weight off my mind to watch TA's calmer way of operating. Not saying TA was flawless, but I think everyone can agree that a QB with more wins and lesser stats is more desirable than a record-breaking QB with no postseason wins to show for it.

I'm very surprised at the amount at which people lack confidence in Armstrong. I'm very excited that he's likely to start at QB and that is largely for one reason that I don't think gets enough mention: The dude is 7-1 as a starter. Granted he contributed most to that one loss, but given how mediocre his stats were over the season, that is still an impressive stat. Until that winning percentage becomes significantly worse, I say keep on keepin on.

I can't tell you how much more relieved I felt during those 8 games than TM's years as a starter. I was nervous and clenched my butt before every snap Taylor took and it was like a huge weight off my mind to watch TA's calmer way of operating. Not saying TA was flawless, but I think everyone can agree that a QB with more wins and lesser stats is more desirable than a record-breaking QB with no postseason wins to show for it.

50% completions. Problem securing the ball. Interceptions.

Tommy's best game was against Georgia and his turnovers almost cost us that game. He put us in a position to lose to Northwestern and couldn't move the ball against Michigan. Tommy single-handedly lost us Michigan State.

Take away a miracle throw from RK3 and some good running from Ameer and we have 2 more losses.

I don't understand the insistence on bashing the most prolific QB in Husker history whose worst crime is having a sh**ty defense backing him up, in order to talk up a QB that needs A LOT of work. If I could get another year of eligibility for Martinez is do it in a heartbeat. Mainly because I'll take the fastest player in college with completion percentages around 70 over a guy that looks calm and can run the option.

In short, don't bash a great QB to talk up Armstrong. He's gonna be a fine QB on his own, stop comparing him to a QB that he will most likely never measure up to. Right now he is the best option we have at QB. That can and most likely will change before the end of the season.

• Fire 5

50% completions. Problem securing the ball. Interceptions.

Tommy's best game was against Georgia and his turnovers almost cost us that game. He put us in a position to lose to Northwestern and couldn't move the ball against Michigan. Tommy single-handedly lost us Michigan State.

Take away a miracle throw from RK3 and some good running from Ameer and we have 2 more losses.

I don't understand the ins instance on bashing the most prolific QB in Husker history whose worst crime is having a sh**ty defense backing him up, in order to talk up a QB that needs A LOT of work. If I could get another year of eligibility for Martinez is do it in a heartbeat. Mainly because I'll take the fastest player in college with completion percentages around 70 over a guy that looks calm and can run the option.

In short, don't bash a great QB to talk up Armstrong. He's gonna be a fine QB on his own, stop comparing him to a QB that he will most likely never measure up to. Right now he is the best option we have at QB. That can and most likely will change before the end of the season.

I pretty much agree with this. That 7-1 record is as deceptive as Cody Greens "undefeated as a starter" record.

That said, Tommy has room to grow, so hopefully we see a huge jump by the fall. If we're going to compete for a B1G title, we'll need it.

• Fire 1

Saunders ane MO pretty much nailed it +1 for both. Im not going to sit here and say he cant be good because he had a rough spring game. I just thought it would look alot closer than it did the way the media talked Armstrong up. Tommy is incredibly talented and is more than capable. But yeah, the forced throws and eventual picks/turnovers are killer.

Sure Martinez had his turnover issues but he was also injured most of the time and could still burn an entire defense if the pass coverage wouldnt allow him to make a throw. Armstrong just needs to mature a bit or else a walk on could easily moce past him on the depth chart.

I did acknowledge that TA had mediocre statistics and never said he was a finished product. Just keep in mind we all have different criteria for success.

In my book, even if TA were to never play another snap, he has already had a more succesful career than TM for one simple reason: He has more postseason wins. Different criteria, You put more weight on stats and broken records, I put more weight on postseason wins. Neither of us is wrong or right, it's a subjective topic.

As a side note I just have to take issue with two things you said. Tommy had only one turnover against Georgia, it was in the third quarter, while we were ahead, and they did not score any points off of it, so I would disagree that he almost cost us the game. And if you'll recall on the 4th & 2 on the game winning drive at Michigan, it was TA who made the audible to the play that netted Kenny Bell 26 yards.

I did acknowledge that TA had mediocre statistics and never said he was a finished product. Just keep in mind we all have different criteria for success.

In my book, even if TA were to never play another snap, he has already had a more succesful career than TM for one simple reason: He has more postseason wins. Different criteria, You put more weight on stats and broken records, I put more weight on postseason wins. Neither of us is wrong or right, it's a subjective topic.

I'm more interested in conference championships than lesser bowl wins. TM at least got us to 2 CCGs, while TA couldn't ever win the weakest division in the conference. Actually, he pretty much cost us as chance with his play against MSU.

I dont feel Armstrong almost cost us Goergia. I do feel that the 7-1 record he boasts should be adjusted to 6-2 seeing as the most influential thing he did for us against Northwestern was sit on the bench so our 3rd string QB could sling a game winning hail mary.

On a side note, wouldve liked to see him start against Iowa. Ronnie striggled that day.

lol

The old Trent Dilfer is a better QB than Dan Marino argument. Clearly well thought out.

• Fire 2

I'm very surprised at the amount at which people lack confidence in Armstrong. I'm very excited that he's likely to start at QB and that is largely for one reason that I don't think gets enough mention: The dude is 7-1 as a starter.

You shouldn't be surprised.

Tommy's 7 wins:

South Dakota State University (FCS school)

Illinois (4-8)

Purdue (1-11 - Threw three interceptions)

Northwestern (5-7 - Threw three interceptions - sat on the bench for the game-winning drive)

Michigan (7-6)

Penn State (Played one series)

Georgia (good win against a good team)

Tell me why exactly this should be impressive because I do not see it.

Also,

I think this is funny and strange since your whole argument for why you are surprised we aren't all bowing at Tommy's throne is because of a stat.

• Fire 2

I'm more interested in conference championships than lesser bowl wins. TM at least got us to 2 CCGs, while TA couldn't ever win the weakest division in the conference. Actually, he pretty much cost us as chance with his play against MSU.

This is a very valid counter argument. Maybe I'm just being a negative nancy, but whenever someone mentions Taylor's records, it feels empty since there isn't much to show for it in terms of team accomplishments. In terms of individual accomplishments no one in their right mind would argue against Taylor. I'm speaking from a broader perspective.

I think this is funny and strange since your whole argument for why you are surprised we aren't all bowing at Tommy's throne is because of a stat.

Ok It looks like I'm fighting a losing battle so all I'll say is this: Tommy has a nice winning percentage for this early in his career and that makes me higher on TA than most people. To each his own. That is all

This is a very valid counter argument. Maybe I'm just being a negative nancy, but whenever someone mentions Taylor's records, it feels empty since there isn't much to show for it in terms of team accomplishments. In terms of individual accomplishments no one in their right mind would argue against Taylor. I'm speaking from a broader perspective.

The broader perspective is that last year's defense was better than 2011 or 2012, while the schedule was much worse, which was the difference.

Sean Callahan was on our local sports show yesterday. Was tellin how he had been arguing with some fans on HuskersOnline about Armstrong's spring game performance. He says that in the past not witnessing every practice, his stance may very well be different, but this year after being asked how he could possibly say Armstrong is the guy and he says it's because he's seen every practice, not just one spring game performance. Callahan says Armstrong is the best qb right now, and it's not really close. So I'm pretty content with taking his word on that deal.