Kenny Bell and NCAA Reform

So I don't know who is right and who is wrong in this unionizing and voices and whatever.

But I will say this. These athletic administrators, university presidents, and coaches are highly unintelligent if they thought they could sign BILLION DOLLAR television deals, $90 million dollar apparel deals(Notre Dame), multi-million dollar bowl game deals, pay coaches $6 million a year and everyone makes bonuses based on the players performances through the year and some of these kids not notice what is going on. Especially when you have teams like Alabama that cuts football players to make room for new ones every year or whatever. Who is looking out for them?

Maybe they deserve more maybe they don't. But the arrogance of these universities to think they could do what they have been doing for this long and athletes not say something is disturbing.

exactly. the ncaa had to see this coming and they did nothing. the entire landscape of college football financials have been changing (getting a lot of people rich) and they have done nothing to address the model for the student athlete.

like st. paul said, i do not know who is right or wrong or what should be done. but the ncaa just ignored this issue and now it is coming to a head in probably the worst way possible.

The kids on academic schollies are the ones who get the grants and donations who keep the university afloat by raising the average gpa. Where's their stipends?

It's a valid argument. So where are the students leading the charge on that side?

Ummm...maybe they realize the education they are getting is worth it?

Keep on believing that.

why should I stop.

It's interesting that you think because one group is just fine with their current situation that the rest of the student's should be the same way.

It's interesting that you think because one group is just fine with their current situation that the rest of the student's should be the same way.

That's not what I asked. And, you are the one who said the original comment was a valid argument and wondered why those students weren't leading the charge on that side.

I gave you an answer to that.

YOU seem to be the one who believes because one group of students are protesting means the others should protest too.

That's not what I asked. And, you are the one who said the original comment was a valid argument and wondered why those students weren't leading the charge on that side.

YOU seem to be the one who believes because one group of students are protesting means the others should protest too.

Not really. It seems that the popular argument is that if "regular" students don't receive something, then student athletes shouldn't either. My argument is that the regular student has every right to come together as a group and get more out of their time spent at a university than an athlete. One group shouldn't be based off of the other.

Not really. It seems that the popular argument is that if "regular" students don't receive something, then student athletes shouldn't either. My argument is that the regular student has every right to come together as a group and get more out of their time spent at a university than an athlete. One group shouldn't be based off of the other.

No, the popular argument is that these student athletes already get WAY more than any other student in the universe...why do they need more?

E. Gordon Gee makes millions as president of Ohio State University, but a Dayton Daily News investigation found the university spends almost as much for Gee to travel the globe, throw parties, wine and dine donors, woo prospective faculty, hang out with students and staff and maintain a 9,600-square-foot mansion on 1.3 acres. (For full story click link below!)

Um, doesn't a university have to pull out all the stops to woo faculty and donors? That's some really important work there and I imagine one of the functions of its president.

Gee's initiative was increased the value of the foundation - which provides scholarships and funds faculty & research.

Nebraska's Foundation has grown from 1.042 billion to 1.338 billion over the last decade. OSU has gone from 1.76 to 3.149 billion over that same period. Maybe we should be wining/dining more faculty and donors.

• Fire 1

Really curious what kind of union & on what grounds you think 'regular students' should form.

No, the popular argument is that these student athletes already get WAY more than any other student in the universe...why do they need more?

I think it's more WANT vs need.

Please know that I do not favor what Bell is doing. But I totally get where they are coming from. They see an opportunity for more of whatever they want or need and they want to take it.

As a fan of schadenfreude, I really would enjoy Kenny Bell, Boulder Colorado (one of the nicest a reason the planet) native, and son of an NFL player get in front of microphone to talk about hardship.

I don't know what Bell's family income status is and don't care to know but why should that stop him from speaking up for or with a kid who doesn't have the same background as him?

As a fan of schadenfreude, I really would enjoy Kenny Bell, Boulder Colorado (one of the nicest a reason the planet) native, and son of an NFL player get in front of microphone to talk about hardship.

I don't know what Bell's family income status is and don't care to know but why should that stop him from speaking up for or with a kid who doesn't have the same background as him?

His status shouldn't, but his common sense damn well should.