Kenny Bell and NCAA Reform

Kenny Bell is about Kenny Bell, nothing more. What ever puts him in the light,, is what he does and is going to do. We have known that since day one. Good kid, just not thinking things through.

I would like to see some type of compensation for the kids, earned over their 4/5 year career, and upon graduation. I see no reason they should not be able to eat at any time year around, living on or off campus.

But I see these kids with tattoos that now days cost a lot of money, someone is paying for these, and I do not see many without them. If they can afford sleeves of tattoos, they have plenty of money for food is my guess. They have lived sheltered lives due to their athletic ability, I really do not think many are roughing it through college like non athletes do.

But I see these kids with tattoos that now days cost a lot of money, someone is paying for these, and I do not see many without them. If they can afford sleeves of tattoos, they have plenty of money for food is my guess. They have lived sheltered lives due to their athletic ability, I really do not think many are roughing it through college like non athletes do.

Exactly. I'd like to see an audit of Kenny's account. I bet it's easy to find a few bucks every month for the burger he's crying about missing out on.

Here Are Nebraska Coaches' Talking Points About Unionization

But the overall message is, Don't say anything to provoke the agitators. It is "important," Logsdon cautions, "that we avoid being critical of unions and unionization."

There's also an FAQ, in case any athletes ask about unionization directly:

• What is UNL's position regarding the initiative by Northwestern players to organize student-athletes? UNL has not taken a formal position. Student-athletes are students and not employees. We support the rights of all students to voice their thoughts including the discussion of union organization.
  • How would a favorable ruling supporting the Northwestern players impact UNL Athletics? UNL is not subject to the jurisdiction of the National Labor Relations Board. Any union organizing activity in Nebraska must go through the Nebraska Commission of Industrial Relations, the state agency that resolves public sector labor disputes. See http://www.ncir.ne.gov/.
  • Is a student-athlete permitted to discuss this situation with their coach or advisor? Student-athletes are free to discuss their thoughts with any member of the Athletics Department or through SAAC.
  • Can there be any repercussions regarding a student-athlete's scholarship or eligibility for participating in any union activities?No.

Exactly. I'd like to see an audit of Kenny's account. I bet it's easy to find a few bucks every month for the burger he's crying about missing out on.

Perhaps I've missed where he's said that.....

I was fortunate enough to have played football in college. I can tell you the perks we had were pretty nice...the money given to us for food on travel days was WAY more than any of use needed. I was an offensive lineman so if my line mates had enough, everyone had more than enough! I had my school paid for, for the most part. The apparel was great, the training table was nice, and extra tutoring if needed was greatly appreciated. I knew I had it better than some of the people on campus, but at the same time, I thought it was 'deserved' (for lack of a better way of saying it) since I was playing ball for the school.

I do go back and forth on this topic. I know football and some basketball programs make major cash for the universities. I did feel at times that we were being used, but in the end, I got a great education, got to play football, and had a great time doing both of them. I can only imagine what is like to play BIG TIME ball and all of the money going around because of you. I did not have anyone wearing my jersey number around or the university did not make tons of cash off of me specifically like major schools.

If the athletes get this going, I feel they will begin to regret this. Having to tax all of their money given to them will make some of them drown pretty quickly.

I was very proud to play for my school and very fortunate to get the opportunity to play the sport I love even longer. That was enough for me!

Awesome post and my exact experience. Also, way I can't get over is the fact that it's only 4-5 yrs max!! It's not like they're here for 10 damn years getting raked!! Lets say KB views himself as a "star" deserving of some extra cash; he was a redshirt one year. Misdeed a few games another. Kinda didn't have an awesome season last yr....get what I'm saying? Whether they perform or not they get all those perks. And then POOF, it's over and they have to move on.

The TEAM makes millions of dollars for the school. Not just 5-10 players. FSU and aTm were doing just fine before their recent QBs.

These players have no idea what they're doing. NONE. The proof is Colter went to the commie NLRB for unionizing scheme ideas. Nuff said, Chicago.

Greed. Starts at the top and trickles right on down. Enough is never enough.

There's no reason salaries for any of these people needs to be so high, including Presidents of Universities on down to the coaching staff's. Yet, every year they climb. Television deals in the billions? For what? Who is paying for this?

Ticket prices go up every season. Student athletes don't feel they are being compensated appropriately. What's the answer? I don't know. I'm sure if the guys at the top weren't so f'ing arrogant and extravagant in the ways they flash their increasing money deals and salaries, it may help.

Do you yank scholarships away? Here you go kids. No more scholarship. You want to play ball for a living and get an education I guess you'd better find a way to do it. Wanna make the big NFL dollars some day playing the game you love? Well, the red carpet entrance, the stage on which you showcase those talents, it no longer is given to you. Is that the answer? Probably not.

At some point people have to stop taking and start giving back. That won't ever happen. So f#*k it. Pay em' all. Pay em massive amounts of money. It will never be enough, so to hell with it. The fans will always foot the bill. Til' they don't, or can't anymore I guess. Of course, when the fans can't afford it anymore, they will just ask for more money from their work place.......blah blah. What a society.

Best post I have read in a long time and agree with it 99.9%! Can't say 100% because nothing is ever a sure thing! + 1 True!

To further your comments True... see link;

By Laura A. Bischoff

Columbus Bureau

COLUMBUS —

E. Gordon Gee makes millions as president of Ohio State University, but a Dayton Daily News investigation found the university spends almost as much for Gee to travel the globe, throw parties, wine and dine donors, woo prospective faculty, hang out with students and staff and maintain a 9,600-square-foot mansion on 1.3 acres. (For full story click link below!)

http://www.daytondai...s-for-tr/nSGkK/

That pisses me off more as a father starting to send three kids to college and sky rocketing tuition that they will end up taking loans out to pay for than feeling sorry for some pampered athlete.

Yep, sad!

additional info at the bottom of that article I linked above. (Ouch!)

Ohio State University President E. Gordon Gee’s discretionary spending from Oct. 1 2007 through June 30, 2012:

Travel: $1.09 million

Tailgating: $813,000

President’s special events: $2.17 million

President’s office: $1.6 million

Residence operation: $2.1 million

Grand Total: $7.77 million

Source: OSU records

An apples to apples comparison of university presidents’ expenses is difficult because each institution lumps different items into its reports. Here is a look at expenses and compensation for the leaders of three large public universities.

E. Gordon Gee, Ohio State University, $1.9 million a year compensation, plus a car, house and access to charter jets. Travel, housing, entertainment spending 2007-mid-2012: $7.7 million

Bill Powers, University of Texas at Austin, $663,000 a year in compensation, no car or house, access to state-owned aircraft. Travel and entertainment spending 2007 to 2011: $$310,360

Mary Sue Coleman, University of Michigan, $860,782 a year in compensation, plus a car and house, flies commercial. Travel and entertainment spending 2007 to 2011: $410,235. Housing upkeep costs another $100,000 a year.

People get paid what they're worth. I'm sure he brings in a lot more than 10M a year.

Go read Atlas Shrugged and find out who the real leeches are

• Fire 2

I don't think athletes should have any more rights than students. Students don't get no rights, I suppose, but how much voice the students have and student-administration relations, et cetera, vary from school to school. There is a student body government -- which could be that voice that is missing right now for student athletes.

But students on academic scholarship? Students on fellowships? Students in other extracurriculars? Their participation is always voluntary and in choosing to do so, they choose to accept also the ground rules that are laid out for them. It just seems to me there is a lot of room for a group such as student-athletes to have their voice heard, that are non-union solutions.

A union is, correct me if I'm wrong, just a whole different animal. The change in designation from voluntary extracurricular participant to employed worker is a very, very significant one and it seems ridiculous to me. Sure, the football players have clout because there's a great deal of interest. But they are still voluntary participants, not professional athletes. The opportunity offered at large is decidedly amateur in nature. Alabama down to Coastal Carolina are all part of the same world. A total divorce from that world is possible, but it just seems short-sighted and to the benefit of well, nobody.

It's not about voice, in my opinion. There are other ways to be heard. There aren't other ways to brandish the stick of a walkout. That said, I don't begrudge any group to fight for themselves and test the full limits of their clout; it's the natural tendency and it's what college athletes are now doing.

Did you go the Unv? Students have a very loud and active voice at the Unv. I fully support Bell in his activities. One of my best friends served on the Senate while I attended Unv, and they made a lot of large scale decisions that affected every day life, including authorizing multi thousand dollar projects...

http://asun.unl.edu/

http://www.unl.edu/facultysenate/welcome.htm

http://nebraskaomaha.orgsync.com/org/studentgovernment

It's their rallying cry these days...here's Kenny's take on it:

I’ll tell you one thing: you can’t afford to pay dues because we don’t have enough money to eat sometimes

...maybe because this isn't cheap? anyone have any idea how much something like this would cost the average (non-athlete) person?

BhIdud3CQAEeLrf.jpg

Depends on the artist but maybe 1000-1500 at least.

It's their rallying cry these days...here's Kenny's take on it:

I’ll tell you one thing: you can’t afford to pay dues because we don’t have enough money to eat sometimes

BiVFxObCEAEKiv7.jpg

Kenny Bell@AFRO_THUNDER80 Mar 9

Great win. Now it's dinner time at the bell/okuyemi household pic.twitter.com/PXOOGnrSLK

urkel-skeptical.gif

• Fire 1

Did you go the Unv? Students have a very loud and active voice at the Unv. I fully support Bell in his activities. One of my best friends served on the Senate while I attended Unv, and they made a lot of large scale decisions that affected every day life, including authorizing multi thousand dollar projects...

http://asun.unl.edu/

http://www.unl.edu/f...ate/welcome.htm

http://nebraskaomaha...udentgovernment

I guess that's my point, right? As you say, students (including athletes -- somebody posted the athletes body somewhere earlier and it's also referenced in the 'talking points' memorandum sent out by the AD) have a very loud and active voice in their current role as student-athletes, not unionizing employees.