Kenny Bell and NCAA Reform

http://sports.omaha.com/2014/04/09/practice-report-april-9-bo-talks-spring-game-bell-talks-unions-giving-athletes-a-collective-voice/#.U0X8b1dUX3g

More from Bell: “As an athlete, I would at least love to talk about decisions made regarding myself. I don’t think that’s too much to ask for and I don’t think that’s crazy. I’m not going to dive into how much we get paid or this or that. I think that’s all minute things when it comes to just giving student-athletes a voice. And not a voice that I have right now, talking to you guys, but a voice as a group. Being able to make decisions for ourselves. That’s a big step. Being 19-to-23-year-old males and females — and those are considered adults — I think we should have the right to discuss rules that are being impressed on us.”

More: “I know what it’s like to run out of scholarship money and run out of meals at the training table. Those things run out. And as far as the gear and stuff we get — we’re extremely blessed as far as the things we get access to, but at the same time there’s struggles that should be addressed.”

There's plenty wrong, go tell the person who doesn't have scholarship money to run out of, can't afford the meals at the table he gets for free, and is working longer than his practice hours to continue to try and complete the major Kenny is hoping he doesn't need his sob story.

• Fire 7

There's plenty wrong, go tell the person who doesn't have scholarship money to run out of, can't afford the meals at the table he gets for free, and is working longer than his practice hours to continue to try and complete the major Kenny is hoping he doesn't need his sob story.

People's personal problems are relative. Kenny doesn't seem to be throwing any kind of a pity party, but even if he is, by that "someone else has it worse" logic, only the most financially impoverished and destitute students (none of which are probably in America - just a guess) have the right to complain then.

Very concerned about his interest in being active towards the unionization front, though.

• Fire 2

People's personal problems are relative. Kenny doesn't seem to be throwing any kind of a pity party, but even if he is, by that "someone else has it worse" logic, only the most financially impoverished and destitute students (none of which are probably in America - just a guess) have the right to complain then.

Very concerned about his interest in being active towards the unionization front, though.

Kenny may not know how good he has it.

Let's just say we follow,the odds here and Kenny has his last season of playing football this year.

The path for ex Nebraska football players in the Lincoln/Omaha area is a pretty easy one. Play hard, endear yourself to the fanbase, and enjoy the spoils. There are tons of great companies willing to hire a bright, well-spoken representative there. Absolutely great for business.

But be a malcontent, divide the fanbase, or be a rabble-rouser, well, it may work out less well for you.

I don't think athletes should have any more rights than students. Students don't get no rights, I suppose, but how much voice the students have and student-administration relations, et cetera, vary from school to school. There is a student body government -- which could be that voice that is missing right now for student athletes.

But students on academic scholarship? Students on fellowships? Students in other extracurriculars? Their participation is always voluntary and in choosing to do so, they choose to accept also the ground rules that are laid out for them. It just seems to me there is a lot of room for a group such as student-athletes to have their voice heard, that are non-union solutions.

A union is, correct me if I'm wrong, just a whole different animal. The change in designation from voluntary extracurricular participant to employed worker is a very, very significant one and it seems ridiculous to me. Sure, the football players have clout because there's a great deal of interest. But they are still voluntary participants, not professional athletes. The opportunity offered at large is decidedly amateur in nature. Alabama down to Coastal Carolina are all part of the same world. A total divorce from that world is possible, but it just seems short-sighted and to the benefit of well, nobody.

It's not about voice, in my opinion. There are other ways to be heard. There aren't other ways to brandish the stick of a walkout. That said, I don't begrudge any group to fight for themselves and test the full limits of their clout; it's the natural tendency and it's what college athletes are now doing.

• Fire 5

Football players, specifically bitching about being able to unionize?

What about the kid who's up to his ass in student loans, fighting and scraping to get an education, where as the football players talent has gotten them essentially a free education...

Some folks need a lesson in humility...

• Fire 8