LB Anderson Pushing to be Every-Down Player

Anderson had just found out he’d been playing with a torn ACL. His 2012 season was over just as it appeared ready to take off.

A devastated Anderson spoke so quietly about the setback that day that his words could not be heard unless you leaned in inches from his face.

Painful at the time, perhaps serendipitous now, Anderson thinks. Had the injury not occurred, he would not be a Husker right now, plotting the big ideas he has for this 2014 season.

“I think it was a blessing,” said Anderson, quiet no more. “I had another year under my belt just to prove my time and show that I can be that guy.”

Had the injury not occurred, sophomore linebacker Michael Rose would not have been able to say last week: “Zaire is playing at a different level. He’s probably had the best spring out of all the linebackers.”

Working with the top unit as the WILL linebacker throughout the spring, and often one of the two backers on the field in Nebraska’s nickel package, Anderson has been easy to find this spring.

He's not quiet with his tackles — as punishing a hitter as there is on the defense — and not always quiet in his exuberance after making those tackles.

LJS