Big. Hairy. Deal.

Redux

“So this is Nebraska? Big. Hairy. Deal.“The jaded declaration was splashed over a giant caricature of Herbie Husker on the T-shirt worn by my mischievously grinning cousin as he exited his family station wagon for his first visit to my state.I cast about for a cogent, measured response and settled for informing him that he was a complete idiot and gave him a wedgie.The Huskers were, in my un-shakeable, 11-year-old opinion, the best football team to ever strap it up, coached by the best coach to ever bless a headset by sticking his brain inside it.  That was the truth and anyone who didn’t recognize it was……was…..well, they were an idiot and deserved a wedgie.I’d forgotten completely about that entire episode until I saw recently that Stewart Mandel over at SI had decided pick up where my cousins T-shirt left off and pontificate on the Big. Hairy. Deal. in flyover country again.

Http://breakfastnudityandaladder.com/2014/02/01/this-is-nebraska/

Now, I’d like to think that in the intervening 24 years I’ve grown up a little. If I (improbably) saw Stew(art Mandel) at the coffee shop tomorrow, I would not call him an idiot, and definitely would not give him a wedgie. I would, however, offer him a free bit of advice I’m sure he’s heard before, but clearly needs to hear again: You should write what you know, Stewie, and you clearly don’t know Nebraska.

Ha ha! An atomic wedgie I hope. :lol:

Uh,

Bo did not inherit a program with a losing record.

Come on, Polo. You have many good points here on HuskerBoard, but this one is nearly trolling. You know damn well he was referencing 2007's season record.

I don't mean to troll, but the way it's written infers something that was not true.

Was 2007 a bad year? Yes, but for the 387652nd time, it's not like that team was destitute of talent.

Either way, I'm more interested in how we keep Imani on the field with Abdullah now than any false resurrection of a program.

• Fire 2

Uh,

2 of Callahan's 4 years at NU were losing seasons. 5-6 in '04 and 5-7 in '07. I suppose it's open to interpretation but I would call that inheriting a losing program.

Uh,

2 of Callahan's 4 years at NU were losing seasons. 5-6 in '04 and 5-7 in '07. I suppose it's open to interpretation but I would call that inheriting a losing program.

27-22 isn't. I'm not saying he was a success by any means, but let's be honest with ourselves here.

Uh,

27-22 isn't. I'm not saying he was a success by any means, but let's be honest with ourselves here.

Just out of curiosity, if a school has an all-time losing record but the last coach had a winning record over his career, is that inheriting a losing program?

Uh,

Just out of curiosity, if a school has an all-time losing record but the last coach had a winning record over his career, is that inheriting a losing program?

Like a Northwestern situation if Fitz moves on? I would say that the stigma of NW struggling most years except for Fitzgerald and a few under Barnett still peg them as a losing program, as they have a losing record over nearly a century of playing football. Either way, neither are applicable under Nebraska's situation, as they have a tremendous record overall, and while Callahan was not a great coach, he still had a winning record at NU.

The reason I'm being a snit about this is because if you're going to write a "defend Bo piece", you probably shouldn't make your nut paragraph based on a premise that doesn't exist. And I'm not saying 2007 wasn't bad, it absolutely was not fun to be a Husker fan that year, but we need to stop pretending Bo took over a perennial loser with nothing at his disposal. It isn't true and perpetuates the notion that Bo needs imaginary yardsticks like 9 wins and him inheriting a dead program for defense because there's no tangible achievements.

Either way, I'm glad the guy likes Bo.

• Fire 1

Uh,

So 9 win seasons fom Bo is a failure. Actual losing seasons from Callahan is "not success" but shouldn't be called losing for.... What? Reasons?

You live in a weird world.

• Fire 2