Ryker Fyfe = Colin Kaepernick

I'm always a fan of the underdog. But if Ryker Fyfe is seriously competing for a starting role I'm going to be incredibly worried about the QB position this fall. This is by no means a knock against Fyfe. Tommy returns alot of experience and Stanton has the whole Elite 11 participation on his resume. If the walk on is more developed than those two I'm going to be concerned.

I'm watching the replay of the spring game right now. What I like about Fyfe is his demeanor. He looks comfortable at the position. He puts himself out there to make a play. I am stoked that a walk on is getting his legitimate shot. He's trying his butt off out there and I couldn't be happier about it. But what is going on with Armstrong???

Pretty much exactly the same except for: a)Kaepernick is 2" taller and 20 lbs heavier, b)Kaep has one of the strongest throwing arms in the world, c) Kaep is fast enough to make NFL defenders look slow, and d) Ryker is not a delta bravo. In all seriousness, they're both kind of gangly and move/throw kind of similarly.

I'm always a fan of the underdog. But if Ryker Fyfe is seriously competing for a starting role I'm going to be incredibly worried about the QB position this fall. This is by no means a knock against Fyfe. Tommy returns alot of experience and Stanton has the whole Elite 11 participation on his resume. If the walk on is more developed than those two I'm going to be concerned.

I'm watching the replay of the spring game right now. What I like about Fyfe is his demeanor. He looks comfortable at the position. He puts himself out there to make a play. I am stoked that a walk on is getting his legitimate shot. He's trying his butt off out there and I couldn't be happier about it. But what is going on with Armstrong???

I get what you are saying as far as Fyfe being a legit contender. It seems that if he is ahead of TA and JS, we have some serious problems. Then again, we have to remember that a lot of these recruiting matrix numbers are not always reliable. Is is possible that Fyfe's QB skills were overlooked because he's from Grand Island? I say, yes. Very much so.

And so, in the end, I want our coaches to recruit, bring in the best talent possible...then throw out the ball and let the guys compete. If Fyfe makes big plays and shows himself to be the best QB... play him.

The only problem would be if Fyfe is winning the job by default. Then that indicates something is wrong with the system, not Fyfe.

Let the competition play out and then make a conclusion on this issue.

Oh I wont question the decisions on who gets the start. Its just worrysome since the first time in 4 years we dont really know where our QB situation is. After watching the spring game its hard not to think Fyfe has a legitimate shot. He looked cool and calm. Needs a little polishing but overall pretty solid. I wasnt super impressed with Tommy unfortunately, looked nervous and the defense caused him alot of fits. Stanton looked good. Loving his throwing game but yeah he has some thing to learn yet.

Oh I wont question the decisions on who gets the start. Its just worrysome since the first time in 4 years we dont really know where our QB situation is. After watching the spring game its hard not to think Fyfe has a legitimate shot. He looked cool and calm. Needs a little polishing but overall pretty solid. I wasnt super impressed with Tommy unfortunately, looked nervous and the defense caused him alot of fits. Stanton looked good. Loving his throwing game but yeah he has some thing to learn yet.

And the fact that the staff has known that we'd need to have a QB ready to take over in 2014 for the last 3 years now. Last year's injury threw Tommy into the fire, but there is no excuses for not having a quality QB this year. I'm not buying the whole "he's young, he's learning thing" - everyone in the world knew we'd need a new QB in 2014. It should be a smooth transition. If it's not, we've got some issues.

Ryker looked really good from what l saw of him during the game. Unfortunately, I don't think it matters how good he is or isn't. He could be Joe Montana, but I'm afraid that he's going to ride the pine. It is percieved as a huge liability for this coaching staff to have a walk-on from Grand Island, NE beat out their heralded recruits. I'm certainly pulling for him though. There could be no better story than to have Nebraska's next great quarterback be a local walk-on from central Nebraska.......playing for his school and state for all the right reasons.