Just another Bo article

Redux

There are times when Bo Pelini reminds me of my dad.

My dad was a football coach. He helped found the Small Fry league in my tiny Upstate New York town. He coached kids between the ages of nine and 13. He taught the fundamentals. He taught trick plays. He taught you how to tackle the old fashioned way – hard and low – to make sure the runner didn’t go one more yard once you made contact with him.

He also yelled – a lot. He yelled at other coaches. He yelled at parents. He yelled at referees. Sometimes, he’d yell at the kids. He didn’t yell because he was an a-hole. He yelled because he wanted to see the kids he coached win the way he taught them to win. He took ownership of the knowledge and style of play he passed on to his players.

http://www.knowitallfootball.com/2014/04/14/nebraskas-bo-pelini-americas-favorite-college-football-coach/

"You hardly ever hear a fan of a college football team who isn’t a rival of Nebraska say a bad word about the program. I’ve been in places like Buffalo, Charlottesville, Tampa, Tucson and New Orleans where fans of other teams take a moment at a sports bar and acknowledge that Nebraska is on TV and talk about how much respect they have for the program."

There's no way this is true. No is so much of a stain on Nebraskan image.

"You hardly ever hear a fan of a college football team who isn’t a rival of Nebraska say a bad word about the program. I’ve been in places like Buffalo, Charlottesville, Tampa, Tucson and New Orleans where fans of other teams take a moment at a sports bar and acknowledge that Nebraska is on TV and talk about how much respect they have for the program."

I lived in Des Moines for 15 years. It's strange but I would rather watch a Husker game in a bar in Des Moines than in a bar in central Nebraska filled with nothing but Husker fans.

Count, whether you believe it or not, there is a stain. My guess is that it will go away some if we start winning important games. Saben is not liked very well by other fan bases and even gets some criticism from his own fans.

Bo is different, fans of the program from outside the state, are not that fond of him. I will add this though. I have not heard the negativity as much lately. I think some of the PR stuff has helped.

He has worked on being a better face of the program, I am hoping he gets it all together this year. We as a fan base need him to. Seeing Polo become so negative about him shows how things change. My thoughts have changed some, not so much about Bo, but the needs of the program to start growing again. That is Bo's job.

Count, whether you believe it or not, there is a stain. My guess is that it will go away some if we start winning important games. Saben is not liked very well by other fan bases and even gets some criticism from his own fans.

Bo is different, fans of the program from outside the state, are not that fond of him. I will add this though. I have not heard the negativity as much lately. I think some of the PR stuff has helped.

He has worked on being a better face of the program, I am hoping he gets it all together this year. We as a fan base need him to. Seeing Polo become so negative about him shows how things change. My thoughts have changed some, not so much about Bo, but the needs of the program to start growing again. That is Bo's job.

Yeah. I was actually mostly serious fora change.

With a pinch of sarcasm.

I lived in Des Moines for 15 years. It's strange but I would rather watch a Husker game in a bar in Des Moines than in a bar in central Nebraska filled with nothing but Husker fans.

This.

I was in Kearney for a wedding last year, and my gf and I went to a local bar to watch the Minnesota game. I've never wanted to punch an old lady in the face, worst experience of my life.

Games at Memorial? Great.

Games at watch parties in Chicago and Missouri? Great.

Games at a bar in Nebraska? Never again.

I don't get these claims that out of state Husker fans have a negative view of the program. I know, anecdotal evidence and all, but I have never heard this from any fan in Missouri and I know hundreds.

"You hardly ever hear a fan of a college football team who isn't a rival of Nebraska say a bad word about the program. I've been in places like Buffalo, Charlottesville, Tampa, Tucson and New Orleans where fans of other teams take a moment at a sports bar and acknowledge that Nebraska is on TV and talk about how much respect they have for the program."

This.

I was in Kearney for a wedding last year, and my gf and I went to a local bar to watch the Minnesota game. I've never wanted to punch an old lady in the face, worst experience of my life.

Games at Memorial? Great.

Games at watch parties in Chicago and Missouri? Great.

Games at a bar in Nebraska? Never again.

I don't get these claims that out of state Husker fans have a negative view of the program. I know, anecdotal evidence and all, but I have never heard this from any fan in Missouri and I know hundreds.

Not exactly the same, but this is why I love the Huskerboard tailgates. I'm no football wizard, but I get exhausted trying to have conversations about it with 95% of Nebraska fans (or maybe just sports fans in general?), but whenever we get to meet up it's always a great time because there are like-minded people that have a real intellect and knowledge that's refreshing to be around.

Tampa, Florida checking in. I also know tons of CFB fans, mostly SEC and of course all the Florida teams.

I have seen nothing but respect for NU as a team and program, and historic power. I still run into Gator fans that squirm with bad memories of a particular Fiesta Bowl, but even they have respect for the program.

There ARE some head-scratching questions about why we have put up with Bo's antics, and about how soon, if ever, we will either get over the hump, or get a championship of some sort, or if we let Bo go first. They are also understanding of the great record, always 9-10 win seasons, but as stumped as anyone as to why we can't quite get a couple more here and there.

Tampa, Florida checking in. I also know tons of CFB fans, mostly SEC and of course all the Florida teams.

I have seen nothing but respect for NU as a team and program, and historic power. I still run into Gator fans that squirm with bad memories of a particular Fiesta Bowl, but even they have respect for the program.

There ARE some head-scratching questions about why we have put up with Bo's antics, and about how soon, if ever, we will either get over the hump, or get a championship of some sort, or if we let Bo go first. They are also understanding of the great record, always 9-10 win seasons, but as stumped as anyone as to why we can't quite get a couple more here and there.

Ditto. Heart of OU nation.

You are missing the point. Nebraska is well thought of, Bo is not, and your comments make the same notation. How long is the University going to put up with him, is the normal comment. Nothing about wins and losses or how far we might have fallen. Just, and I quote, the buffoon in charge should be ran out of town as soon as possible. I have heard that comment far more than I would like to. My wife can not stand Bo. Most thought he was gone in November.

I think he needs a good season this year, not so much the wins and losses, but respectable play, temper under control. I think one more blow out and his Texas fund runs out.

I love seein bo act and react the way he does.. its apart of athletics and coaching. unfortunately its just something that you cant do anymore when you on a pedestal like that especially in state as ours. the outbursts gotta go yes.. but I think hes on his way of winnin over all the bo haters . all starting with the cat. I mean who expected that. obviously the guy isn't as bad as people want to make him out to be. the players have never but loved the guy as a coach but when the media only shows his bad side for 5 straight years what kind image are people gona get.

ya i live in Iowa too and by no means would i rather watch a Husker game or any game at that in this state over Nebraska... Take it from me when i say watching a game at BWW with Hawkeye fans all around you with their twisted views on football is enough to drive any Sane fan crazy... I have acually had Iowa fans swarm around me and threaten me to leave bar before for being a Husker fan the first year we entered Big 10. For the record i stayed there until they all jumped me. I only got a little bump on head! if that were 3 Husker fans that jumped me id prob be in hospital. Says alot about fight in Hawk fans