Sporing News All-Time Top 10 Huskers

Will Shields the forgotten man. 14 years in the NFL all with Kansas City where he never missed a game in fourteen seasons. He went to the Pro Bowl every year from 1995 to 2006. Was selected as a first-ballot finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2012. Won the Outland Trophy in 1992, one of 8 Huskers to do so. Is one of only six Husker linemen to earn all conference honors for three straight seasons and was a first team All American his Senior season. Shields' No. 75 was retired at the Nebraska 1994 Spring Game. Was the only Husker along with Dave Rimington to earn all-conference honors as a sophomore. Also his son Shavon is currently a key member of the Nebraska basketball team! BOOM!!!

ELJKELIRMBGKLJF.20110517160349.jpg

• Fire 1

Will Shields the forgotten man. 14 years in the NFL all with Kansas City where he never missed a game in fourteen seasons. He went to the Pro Bowl every year from 1995 to 2006. Was selected as a first-ballot finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2012. Won the Outland Trophy in 1992, one of 8 Huskers to do so. Is one of only six Husker linemen to earn all conference honors for three straight seasons and was a first team All American his Senior season. Shields' No. 75 was retired at the Nebraska 1994 Spring Game. Was the only Husker along with Dave Rimington to earn all-conference honors as a sophomore. Also his son Shavon is currently a key member of the Nebraska basketball team! BOOM!!!

ELJKELIRMBGKLJF.20110517160349.jpg

Damn, I'm mad at myself for not thinking of that.

Ahman Green should be on that list instead of Fryar.

That's a tough one between those two, but I agree.

Still boggles my mind that at a school like Nebraska, our only Number 1 draft pick in the modern era NFL is a Wide Receiver, who played in the middle of the option era no less. Up until 2011 I had pretty much resigned myself to the thought that we were cursed for eternity and we would never attract elite receivers, especially after Niles Paul never really lived up to his 40 something ranking in the Rivals 100. Maurice Purify was elite and one of the most fun offensive players to watch that I've ever seen strap on a husker helmet, but he seems somewhat forgotten by Husker nation since most people have decided to bury memories from those times.

Needless to say I have been like a kid at a candy store watching the recent WR talent we've acquired the past few years (Kenny Bell & Quincy onward). I'm especially high on Demornay Pierson-El and Monte Harrison, I think they'll end up as two of the greats by the time they leave.

Ahman Green should be on that list instead of Fryar.

That's a tough one between those two, but I agree.

Still boggles my mind that at a school like Nebraska, our only Number 1 draft pick in the modern era NFL is a Wide Receiver, who played in the middle of the option era no less. Up until 2011 I had pretty much resigned myself to the thought that we were cursed for eternity and we would never attract elite receivers, especially after Niles Paul never really lived up to his 40 something ranking in the Rivals 100. Maurice Purify was elite and one of the most fun offensive players to watch that I've ever seen strap on a husker helmet, but he seems somewhat forgotten by Husker nation since most people have decided to bury memories from those times.

Needless to say I have been like a kid at a candy store watching the recent WR talent we've acquired the past few years (Kenny Bell & Quincy onward). I'm especially high on Demornay Pierson-El and Monte Harrison, I think they'll end up as two of the greats by the time they leave.

LP was much better than Green.

Let's not forget that the reason Fryar was the number one pick is because so many guys, Rozier included, went to the USFL aand were passed up in the NFL draft.

My list. As great as JR was and he was a game changer for sure, I still place Tommie # 1. Heisman no - but the best all time college QB ever -yes . Without him, there would not have been the greatest 5 year run in college football history. We would have had good teams, but not great. He was a leader and got things done. Should have won the heisman and the 3rd NC (phantom clip, non-call fumble, etc)

I also put in Turner Gill - Turner made the option work - he was 2 plays (a tip, and a 1 yard out of bounds) of being a 2x national champ. He was Tommie Frazier before there was TF. Like Tommie, he was in contention for 3 national championships (Clemson, Miami, - PSU illegal catch). He made that offense worked that had Rozier, Fryer, and Remington

1 - Tommie Frazier

2 - Johnny Rodgers

3- Mike Rozier

4 Rich Glover

5- Turner Gill

6- Dave Remington

7- Ndamukong Suh

8- Eric Crouch

9- Grant Wistrom

10- Dean Steinkuhler

Honorable mention- Shields, Phillips, Green

What LP did off the field is probably enough to warrant him not being included on any of these lists but, on the field, he was absolutely the most dominating RB I have ever seen play the game. Rozier was awesome and definitely had the better career but, as far as potential and ability.....LP gets the nod.

As I stated in my comment above, I've never seen a runningback more talented and as fun to watch as LP. Not Adrian Peterson, not Barry Sanders, not Ahman Green. Since him and Allen Iverson are my two all-time favorite athletes I always have to add the standard "only on the field/court" disclaimer.

I absolutely think LP should be on that list. Why it's so difficult for some to separate LP the player and LP the person is beyond me. But I've gotten enough admonishments whenever I've said that LP is one of the all-time Husker greats that I've learned to just keep my mouth shut about it. It's refreshing to hear that others feel the same way I do.

I would put Tommie at #1 and Suh at #2. Tommie changed the QB game in college. Suh was just a man amongst boys. Just my opinion.

Here's a question - why, when we're talking about quarterbacks, are championships a humongous part of the equation as far as their greatness, but when we are talking about defensive tackles, for example, it doesn't seem to really matter?

I'm not sure championships do matter to QBs. Crouch didn't win an MNC. I'm sure Baylor and and A&M consider RGIII and Manziel in their own respective schools' top-10s.

If you're referring to Martinez (not saying you are, but throwing it out there), he's a mixed bag for reasons apart from the lack if championships. He was just as prone to turn over the ball as he was to break off a long TD. This is not to mention that he spent a significant chunk of his career injured (not his fault, but a factor nonetheless). It's also notable that his backups (Green, Armstrong, and Kellogg) went something like 11-1 while Martinez was injured.

What LP did off the field is probably enough to warrant him not being included on any of these lists but, on the field, he was absolutely the most dominating RB I have ever seen play the game. Rozier was awesome and definitely had the better career but, as far as potential and ability.....LP gets the nod.

As I stated in my comment above, I've never seen a runningback more talented and as fun to watch as LP. Not Adrian Peterson, not Barry Sanders, not Ahman Green. Since him and Allen Iverson are my two all-time favorite athletes I always have to add the standard "only on the field/court" disclaimer.

I absolutely think LP should be on that list. Why it's so difficult for some to separate LP the player and LP the person is beyond me. But I've gotten enough admonishments whenever I've said that LP is one of the all-time Husker greats that I've learned to just keep my mouth shut about it. It's refreshing to hear that others feel the same way I do.

LP was great, one of the best ever. I just think all of the off the field stuff should hurt his ranking. Plus career statistics push Green above all other RB except Rozier.

********Interesting side note could we be talking about Ameer on a list like this next year at this time?

All time rushing leaders:

1. Mike Rozier, IB (1981-83) 4,780 yds

2. Ahman Green, IB (1995-97) 3,880 yds

3. Eric Crouch, QB (1998-01) 3,434 yds

4. Roy Helu Jr., IB (2007-10) 3,404 yds

5. Rex Burkhead, IB (2009-12) 3,329 yds

Ameer Abdullah IB (2011-14) 2,977 yds

1500 yds puts him solidly in second and 1804 sets the record. That would be impressive in the least.

LP was great, one of the best ever. I just think all of the off the field stuff should hurt his ranking. Plus career statistics push Green above all other RB except Rozier.

********Interesting side note could we be talking about Ameer on a list like this next year at this time?

All time rushing leaders:

1. Mike Rozier, IB (1981-83) 4,780 yds

2. Ahman Green, IB (1995-97) 3,880 yds

3. Eric Crouch, QB (1998-01) 3,434 yds

4. Roy Helu Jr., IB (2007-10) 3,404 yds

5. Rex Burkhead, IB (2009-12) 3,329 yds

Ameer Abdullah IB (2011-14) 2,977 yds

1500 yds puts him solidly in second and 1804 sets the record. That would be impressive in the least.

Abdullah gives LP a serious run for his money In the "fun to watch" department.

Still boggles my mind that at a school like Nebraska, our only Number 1 draft pick in the modern era NFL is a Wide Receiver, who played in the middle of the option era no less.

TECHNICALLY Rozier was a Number 1 draft pick that same year - USFL

I thought it was the supperlemental draft. Which getting picked 1st in the SD is nothing to sneeze at, but isn't something that registers on the same level as the NFL draft.