Fyfe Measuring Up Just Fine

What was Ryker Fyfe thinking about the first time he put on a Husker practice jersey? Honestly, this: “How am I going to stack up with these guys?”

Fyfe had been something special his senior year at Grand Island High School, racking up more than 2,600 yards of offense, with a hand in 34 touchdowns, and being named an honorary captain on the Journal Star’s Super-State team.

But now he was swimming in a big pond, a walk-on wearing the "N" on his helmet, wondering what so many before him have wondered: Will I be good enough?

It didn't take him long to find an answer.

“Right away, I was like, ‘I can fit in with these guys,’” Fyfe said. “I can compete here with the best at Nebraska.”

The sophomore quarterback has not looked back, climbing the ladder from scout-teamer in 2012, to a travel-roster spot in 2013, to being in the same conversation as scholarship players Tommy Armstrong and Johnny Stanton in 2014.

A surprise to you, maybe. Not to him.

LJS

• Fire 1

Yeah, the LJS is kind of annoying on that now. Usually most of the interesting stuff is at the front which is quoted. I guess if you don't care to go to the link, that's fine. If by "screen" it you mean don't post it, I guess you're free to feel that way but there is some interesting stuff, especially about some of the guys who haven't played a lot so far.

I'll eat crow on this one. I saw a bit of the kid's HS film and was shocked to see the kid even get an offer to walk on, thinking he was not suited for anything beyond Doane and Concordia level competition. He was twig-thin and did moderately well against weak competition. Credit to him, he looked 10x better in the spring game. I would not be worried if TA went down and this kid went in. He looks like a serviceable game manager that would not play outside his strengths.

I'll eat crow on this one. I saw a bit of the kid's HS film and was shocked to see the kid even get an offer to walk on, thinking he was not suited for anything beyond Doane and Concordia level competition. He was twig-thin and did moderately well against weak competition. Credit to him, he looked 10x better in the spring game. I would not be worried if TA went down and this kid went in. He looks like a serviceable game manager that would not play outside his strengths.

Ya i could see TA or JS going in and trying to make too much happen to live up to their name. Fyfe on other hand i could see being a great game manager and just doing what he is asked to do. Not saying he is our most buyable starter, im just saying i could see him as a very good backup and would have faith that we could get job done with him under center.

Also at spring game i sat a row behind Fyfe's gf and talked to her a little. Im not sure of TA or JS girlfriends if they even have but FYFE is for sure 1st string when it comes to gf's. Id challenge anyone on team to have a better looking girl. I dont have a pic but she was a 10/10 if your into tan, thin, 6 foot tall blondes with husker gear on!!!

I really would like to read the article, I just hate that bait and switch crap. Pretty impressed with his game Saturday, that was the reason I went to the site. I normally don't for that very reason.

I downloaded something that seems to require me read a lot of initial hit stuff, close and then it goes to the site. Have to have my IT guy look at it I guess. It just caught me at the wrong time. Nothing personal Mavric for sure

I really would like to read the article, I just hate that bait and switch crap. Pretty impressed with his game Saturday, that was the reason I went to the site. I normally don't for that very reason.

I downloaded something that seems to require me read a lot of initial hit stuff, close and then it goes to the site. Have to have my IT guy look at it I guess. It just caught me at the wrong time. Nothing personal Mavric for sure

Clear your cookies.

I have ate all that I am allowed!!!!. No this is something through Adobe. Some how it takes me to advertising on sites before it allows me to open the thread. I spoke with the IT guy a little while ago, he says we have several customers complaining of the same thing. But I will try cleaning it up to. Thanks for the idea, it is so frustrating, you overlook known fixes I guess, or I have.

If, as you say, Ryker can be a serviceable game manager that would not play outside his strengths... that would be great. So... if he can do that, then when called upon to contribute (just when or to what degree we do not yet know) NU will be OK. Thus, I see this as a good thing. Armstrong is there and will start... if he goes down, NU has Fife who few would have guessed earlier could contribute. Not only Fife but also Stanton.

Further, the surprising abilities of Fife will drive Stanton harder as well. So everyone should be thrilled that Fife is in there legitimately competing.

If, as you say, Ryker can be a serviceable game manager that would not play outside his strengths... that would be great. So... if he can do that, then when called upon to contribute (just when or to what degree we do not yet know) NU will be OK. Thus, I see this as a good thing. Armstrong is there and will start... if he goes down, NU has Fife who few would have guessed earlier could contribute. Not only Fife but also Stanton.

Further, the surprising abilities of Fife will drive Stanton harder as well. So everyone should be thrilled that Fife is in there legitimately competing.

Why is it that Fyfe can only be a serviceable game manager? I watched 2 of his HS games and I thought then that he would fit nicely in Frankie's offense at Ohio. Then he decided to walk on and I was thrilled. He has a better arm than you think and seemed to have the kind of savvy that all the great ones have. He could make all the throws and was very accurate on deep throws. He's worked hard and has made a good impression on all the people who really count. If he would win the 2nd string job and was forced into action because of injury, we should feel good about him taking over. He's been in the system going on 3 years and the coaches have said that him sending in plays last year gave him a leg up on the play book over JS.

Now he's not the most athletic guy at QB obviously but I think by making a push for the second string job we should be ok expecting a little more out of him than serviceable game manager.

FIVE STOCK RISERS

Ryker Fyfe: Like the rest of the quarterbacks, it wasn’t all sunshine for Fyfe this spring. But all things considered, the sophomore from Grand Island probably couldn’t have made a much better case at this point in his career, ending spring as co-No. 2 with Johnny Stanton. Last week in the Spring Game, the 6-foot-2, 210-pound Fyfe showed a crowd that included its share of skeptics that the talk about him wasn’t just spring fluff. Perhaps the biggest surprise to most was how Fyfe operated the run game, having some success working the zone-read against the No. 1 defense various times this spring. “You got to be aggressive,” Fyfe said. “Put your shoulder down and just get the yards. Do what you can do.” He doesn’t shy from contact. He also clearly doesn’t shy from competition. The improvement of Fyfe and Stanton will be a hot subject come August. The more they can push Tommy Armstrong, the better for the team.

LJS

Also at spring game i sat a row behind Fyfe's gf and talked to her a little. Im not sure of TA or JS girlfriends if they even have but FYFE is for sure 1st string when it comes to gf's. Id challenge anyone on team to have a better looking girl. I dont have a pic but she was a 10/10 if your into tan, thin, 6 foot tall blondes with husker gear on!!!

36424d9173c13f060cfd796dcdae2122.jpeg

• Fire 1