Givers and Takers

Per this article 86m workers(givers) support 148m non-workers (takers)

Are we at a tipping point in which we cannot afford many of our social programs as the baby boomers retire?

http://www.cnsnews.c...-benefit-takers

There isn't a "tipping point," per se. Just a continuation of a trend. If only we could reverse old age:

EconElderly480.jpg

That said, let's not pretend that current tax rates are unbearably high.

Are we at a tipping point in which we cannot afford many of our social programs as the baby boomers retire?

There isn't a "tipping point," per se. Just a continuation of a trend. If only we could reverse old age:

EconElderly480.jpg

Thanks Carl - were did you find the graph? That looks less alarming as long as nothing terrible happens - you know a war with Russia, collapse of the dollar etc and any number of sky is falling situations. You are correct on taxes - if fed revenues can be increase by growth in the economy (or taxes that don't create a disincentive )and expenses maintained (min growth wt economy growth) or reduced - then this would be sustainable in the near future.

EconElderly480.jpg

I'm interested in knowing why they think that is going to level off. Is it because the baby boom is dead and gone? Is it because they think life expectancy is going to stop increasing? Is population going to stop growing?

We probably shouldn't pretend that it's a completely healthy or sustainable economic situation either.

Indeed, current tax rates for the top earners are not unbearably high. I think an argument can be made that it is becoming unbearable for the middle though. That group seems to be bearing the burden of paying the bills and it is an ever shrinking group. Shrinking because it's members are falling off into the takers category at an alarming rate, not because they're moving on up to the top 5%.

I guess the use of "tipping point" is a matter of preference but surely it is not sustainable for fewer and fewer people to be paying the bills and more and more to be generating the expenses. Tipping point seems to fit, imo.

What are taxes that create a disincentive?

I would say one would be taxes high enough that jobs are sent elsewhere in the world where there are lower taxes.

Are we talking income taxes here?

Possibly corporate income tax but everything from property taxes to any other type of taxes that businesses pay can play a roll in this.

We probably shouldn't pretend that it's a completely healthy or sustainable economic situation either.

Indeed, current tax rates for the top earners are not unbearably high. I think an argument can be made that it is becoming unbearable for the middle though. That group seems to be bearing the burden of paying the bills and it is an ever shrinking group. Shrinking because it's members are falling off into the takers category at an alarming rate, not because they're moving on up to the top 5%.

I guess the use of "tipping point" is a matter of preference but surely it is not sustainable for fewer and fewer people to be paying the bills and more and more to be generating the expenses. Tipping point seems to fit, imo.

That's why we need to rebuild the middle class. Where do you think the wealth accumulating at the top is coming from?

What are taxes that create a disincentive?

I would say one would be taxes high enough that jobs are sent elsewhere in the world where there are lower taxes.

I call BS. The greedy bastards are not moving plants to China, Indonesia and India because of tax rates. Its because they have a labor pool that they pay less a day than what a McDonald's Combo meal costs. It has nothing to do with taxes.