Man faces $525 federal fine for refilling his soda without paying

http://www.wistv.com/story/25269079/man-hit-with-525-federal-fine-after-he-doesnt-pay-for-soda-refill

"As I was filling my cup up, I turned to walk off and a fella grabbed me by the arm and asked me was I going to pay for that, and I told him I wasn't aware that I had to pay for that."

Lewis says he tried to pay the $0.89 right there, but wasn't allowed to. He says he wasn't given the chance to pay the cashier either.

The ticket was issued by the Federal Police Force at the VA Medical Center in downtown Charleston after Christopher Lewis refilled his soda without paying the $0.89. A hospital spokesperson called it a "theft of government property."

Statement by the medical center:

The Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center is fortunate to have a highly trained Federal police force to ensure the safety of our patients, visitors and employees. As Federal police they are responsible for enforcing the law. Today a Federal citation was issued for shoplifting in the VA cafeteria to an individual who stated to VA police he had not paid for refills of beverages on multiple occasions, even though signs are posted in the cafeteria informing patrons refills are not free. Shoplifting is a crime. The dollar amount of the ticket is not determined by VA as it is a Federal citation. The citation may be paid or the recipient may choose to appear in Federal court to contest it.

Excellent use of federal power :facepalm:

I'm sensing a class action lawsuit against Coke. Didn't they just have a national ad campaign?....something about "sip stealing" legal in all 50 states. Well not in North Carolina it ain't.

Something tells me we aren't getting all the details of what actually transpired from this article.

Well...something sounds goofy here.

It sounds like this guy refilled his drink all the time without paying for it. I would be shocked if he didn't know he was supposed to pay for it. So...to that extent, I really don't feel too sorry for him.

Now, the police did a pathetically horrible job on this and they should be embarrassed. Not sure I believe the whole story from the guy either.

In the end, he should have been confronted by someone long before he was ambushed by arresting officers.

I'm sensing a class action lawsuit against Coke. Didn't they just have a national ad campaign?....something about "sip stealing" legal in all 50 states. Well not in North Carolina it ain't.

Something tells me we aren't getting all the details of what actually transpired from this article.

It's in SC. Pretty crappy service to give our veterans.

• Fire 1