Young Blackshirts Eager to Take Over

While this team will take many of its cues from veteran seniors such as Ameer Abdullah, Kenny Bell, Jake Cotton and Corey Cooper, it's the development of recruits from those two recent classes that, as much as anything, will decide Nebraska’s fortunes this fall.

“I think it’s definitely an extremely strong bond and I think with the culture, we’re molding it more for us. … I think we’re trying to change it a little bit more to suit us now that we’re more the majority,” Banderas said. “It’s definitely awesome having everybody kind of around that same age and hanging together.”

How’s this for a majority voice? At least eight of Nebraska’s starters on defense are likely to come from the 2012-13 classes, and possibly nine.

Along with Banderas, fellow 2013 recruits include Randy Gregory, Maliek Collins and Nathan Gerry. The Husker additions of 2012, meanwhile, include players such as Vincent Valentine, Greg McMullen, Zaire Anderson, Michael Rose, LeRoy Alexander and transfer Jonathan Rose.

For Husker fans hoping this might be the year the program positions itself back among the elite, the top bullet point may center around optimism that those players are ready to take a big step after last season’s trial by fire.

Michael Rose perhaps explained as well as anyone the difference between defenders this spring compared to last year, when linebackers didn’t know enough to carry a meaningful dialogue with position coach Ross Els about what he was teaching.

“Last year it was almost like sitting in a lecture hall,” Rose said. “Not too many questions asked … but now we can talk football, you know. It’s not just here’s what we’re installing, write it down, take notes, here’s what you need to do. We’re able to have conversations.”

LJS

It shows that there's more to football talent than just bench press, squats and forty times. There's also a huge mentality issue. There's nothing wrong with saying this team as been mentally soft over the past few years. I know, the arguement even I myself has provided in the past against that notion has been that they constanly come from behind. But, they also dig themselves that hole to begin with. I think this young crop we've gotten in here over the past couple years will bring that necessary additional swagger to the field that we've been lacking.

Ya i hope it does bring the swagger back. I usually go to atleast 1 Nebraska game a year, and I have noticed last few years everything seems less energetic with players and fans. Alot of this could be because last 2 games I saw were "Blackshirt Friday" games against Iowa and alot of people have a Turky hangover. But even in Callahan days, the games i went too seemed more electric. I remember Nebraska vs. Texas Tech in 07' i believe. After game i couldnt even bare the headache i got from all screaming of me and fans around. We lost that game heartbreakingly. I could be wrong but just seems like a trend IMO

Every year we've read articles about camaraderie and the seniors or "leaders" talking about the friendships on the team...team dinners, bowling, movies, etc. That's all fine and good, but the trait we are all trying to see (at least what I want), is hopefully happening now, but I'm thinking won't fully happen for a season or two is; accountability - top to bottom on the depth chart. Friendly competition, fierce competition, calling each other out, fighting, or whatever productive push by teammates. Coming together to do something special isn't about puff pieces of being buddies. I've been on a team like that and it sucked, can't just be satisfied with being there and OK with losing. This is the first year it seems like that issue may be addressed by the players, I hope this offseason proves they're turning that corner and it carries into the fall.

I think Tommie patted himself on the back a little more than he deserved in a quote last year or the year before, but basically saying they really didn't need the coaches, and they didn't have to hold the players accountable, those dynasty run players made sure every teammates head was on a swivel.

That attitude is a reflection of the head coach, it's on the players to carry it out.

I think my point fits with the OP and the article, I'm hoping others are reading that as well and the direction the team is heading will set the apart.