Hypothetical Bo Question

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't think there was any saving that 2004 season. The chickens were coming home to roost that year if it were Solich, Callahan or whomever at the helm.

And, the recruiting classes that Bo benefitted from in his first few years probably don't happen if we apply how a "wiser" Bo handled bringing in talent in 08-10

Final summation, probably not. I think the biggest problem we are seeing football wise is there hasn't been a search conducted for a coaching talent like they did in Miles since Bob Devaney. I'd be very curious how such a search would happen now if it comes to pass.

Just looking over the Defensive roster, the secondary would have been pretty good, but I think the offensive side would have been shaky...

It might not have been a 5-6 season, but 7-5 at best is all I see.

I think it's just a systemic problem at this point. Pedersen went about it so wrong that the notion of a coaching search similar to the one that landed Miles wasn't considered an option. That's a mistake that led us to Solich. Then poor planning that got us to Callahan, and the reaction to him that put us here.

• Fire 2

I think a big part of 2004 was forcing the changes on offense. Long-term view, you can see why any coach would want to do that. However, I think a gradual change could've happened to ease the culture shock and we would've won more games in '04. We had a new QB in '05, anyway. A lot of unforgivables happened in '04 and I think it's dangerous to accustom a team to losing like that.

Bo wasn't ready. Wasn't ready when he finally did get the job. But he's getting there. He's gonna need to show something soon to give himself the time I think he needs to really get us going. I think he's gonna be a good one. He just needs some things to go his way. He handicapped himself by hiring a bunch of inexperienced assistants. But I think he's finding a good blend there and the people around him are growing too. I hope to hell he gets 11 wins this year so he can buy the time I think he needs to put us on a consistent path to conference titles and maybe even a couple playoff appearances over the next few years. For all the sh#t that we put up with when it comes to his antics, I believe he can get us to where we want to be. This year is big for him and I think this team may still be a year away. I hope he has enough success to give himself a run at it with what I think will be his best overall team in 2015-16.

• Fire 1

I can't imagine that Bo would have sunk to the depths that Callahan did. Even in 2004, we shouldn't have lost to Southern Miss, Iowa State, or Colorado. I think Pelini or Solich would have had the 2004 team with an 8-3 record plus a lower-tier bowl game to possibly get that 9th win. But if Pelini is coach and the team never tanks, Pedersen is still AD. Bo's inability to win a championship would give Pedey the same choice that he faced with Solich, as Zrod said.

So an even more interesting hypothetical would be, who would Pedey have hired to replace Pelini a few years later?

Just looking over the Defensive roster, the secondary would have been pretty good, but I think the offensive side would have been shaky...

would the offense have been that shaky had the players on that side of the ball been allowed to play in the system they were recruited for? In the system that they developed for?

I think when folks try to compare what coulda happened in 2004 with what woulda happened in 2004, they forget that Callahan completely flipped the whole offensive philosophy inside out, and then upside down. He was here 4 years, and you have to get towards then end of that 4th year when you saw the offense really start to perform to what we thought it would be. I mean, in 2004, we go from run/option to west coast. With Ross Pilkington as are top WR target. LOL. Not exactly playing to the strengths of the team.

I'm not saying under Bo or Solich, that 2004's team woulda been some juggernaut but it woulda been manageable, and much more successful than what actually happened. The defense played pretty good ball for that first half of the season remember. But appeared to give up midway through. We'll never know. But I think it's wrong to assume it woulda been just as bad as it actually was. EVERYTHING was changed prior to that 2004 season. EVERYTHING. Hiring Bo woulda provided some sort of continuity and any sort of changes would not have been as shocking as the house-burning that actually took place.

• Fire 2