Game of Thrones - Please no spoilers from ASOIAF

OMG

You guys were right about Rhaegar. *eats crow*

Was anyone else annoyed that Littlefinger bested Arya? I know the dude's smart but she trained as an assassin. Even without changing faces she could fight blind FFS. It's stupid. On the other hand I guess it could be argued that she underestimated him.

Also, Gendry has turned into a total hunk

This was another season premiere, and in that sense, immensely unsatisfying. Big announcements about the course of the show are no longer developed, they're revealed. The reveals aren't even paced, they're mashed together. This season in the big picture is less of a story and a mystery slowly unfolding (Season 1) than a series of real-time 'flashbacks' happening at breakneck pace. Why bother with flashbacks unless they're trying (but barely) to mask that?

Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of the acting right now and the Loot Train Battle was pretty amazing (less so in the aftermath). Things are just zooming by right now when they shouldn't. I like the "mystery box" model.

And the reason this is rushed is also a little plain: there's plenty of things happening to cover several full seasons, but they either can't sustain that budget/time wise, or are out of the energy to come up with the stories so far past the source material. So they've just outlined how they want the chess pieces to move and are blasting through the showing of this so we can all have closure. The series is being abbreviated, albeit with pomp and fanfare.

Jon has also emerged a little too clearly right now, I think. And it's a lot less through his journey than through information drops -- which themselves were literally just dropped, or teased and then dropped. For the Rhaeger thing, for example, I think you may as well just have a full reveal earlier and then show all the characters dealing with this new bit of information. There seems barely enough time for that.

If there are surprises in store or a strong pivot from the current path, then it seems like it will again be by revelation or plot twist. I guess that's kind of how the show always operated?...anyway. Some of the weak points amidst the strong.

Can't say I agree at all. Like lots of fantasy stories, the characters got separated. Then we found out about each of them and their stories individually. Then when they started to come together the number of stories whittled back down and the climax has started from a much smaller # of character PoVs. We don't need to spend 10 episodes on traveling anymore. The purpose of that was to introduce and grow the characters, not because the traveling mattered. This is pretty much exactly what happened with my favorite book series. As soon as the characters started making their way back together it went at a breakneck pace. We'd already learned about who they were, it was time for them to do what they were meant to do. With GoT we are now in the phase where they do the sh#t they were meant to do.

• Fire 2

OMG

Was anyone else annoyed that Littlefinger bested Arya? I know the dude's smart but she trained as an assassin. Even without changing faces she could fight blind FFS. It's stupid. On the other hand I guess it could be argued that she underestimated him.

We still have to get that speech from Sansa about the lone wolf dying and the pack surviving. I really want to believe that she will be delivering this speech to Littlefinger before she passes the sentence. I wonder if she will do the Stark tradition and "swing the sword" so to speak. As far as Gendry, I feel like he's not long for this world. In the inside the episode, the show runners talk about why they included Gendry in the trip to King's Landing. Doesn't sound like there is much of a roll planned. I've avoided spoilers like the plague so I know nothing.

Gendry dying would be ballsy storytelling, since the characters very desperately (presumably, at least, if it works like valyrian steel at all) need him to forge the dragonglass.

I'm thinking he's going to forge Valyrian steel. In the books, the smith that Gendry learns under is same guy that turns Ned's sword "Ice" into 2 swords; "Widow's Wail" and "Oathkeeper," now held by Jaime and Brienne respectively.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/08/game-of-thrones-why-is-gendry-back-blacksmith

I have to think we'll have a casualty from the upcoming battle with the undead. Maybe The Hound or Mormont? I hope not Tormund.

I know it's GoT but I still think we need another interaction between Tormund and Breane.

I got a good chuckle on Sunday when Tormund asked about "the big woman"

NSFW language:

OMG

We still have to get that speech from Sansa about the lone wolf dying and the pack surviving. I really want to believe that she will be delivering this speech to Littlefinger before she passes the sentence. I wonder if she will do the Stark tradition and "swing the sword" so to speak. As far as Gendry, I feel like he's not long for this world. In the inside the episode, the show runners talk about why they included Gendry in the trip to King's Landing. Doesn't sound like there is much of a roll planned. I've avoided spoilers like the plague so I know nothing.

What if the lone wolf is Arya...

I have to think we'll have a casualty from the upcoming battle with the undead. Maybe The Hound or Mormont? I hope not Tormund.

I know it's GoT but I still think we need another interaction between Tormund and Breane.

Crazy idea out of left feild. What if Tormund becomes the King after all the other royals die or are murdered in a war with the white walkers? How's that for bitter sweet?