Game of Thrones - Please no spoilers from ASOIAF

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Someone needs to write a fantasy story with an orphan/bastard who spends the whole series trying to find out who he/she is and then in the end finds out his/her parents were a couple of jerks with no money or power.

It's not quite what you're asking for, but read The Night Angel series by Brent Weeks if you want something that goes pretty dark. And the Assassin series by Robin Hobb is about a royal bastard who's life takes some terrible turns because of it (so sort of the reverse of your premise).

7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

It's not quite what you're asking for, but read The Night Angel series by Brent Weeks if you want something that goes pretty dark. And the Assassin series by Robin Hobb is about a royal bastard who's life takes some terrible turns because of it (so sort of the reverse of your premise).

I've read the main Robin Hobb series and the 3rd series too. Really good books.

• 2 weeks later...

The Wheel of Time is being made into a TV series finally. (It's been rumored for 10+ years now). In fact, there were plans to make a WoT series before GoT. WoT is the older series by a little bit. Robert Jordan wrote a snippet on one of GRRM's book covers telling people how great it is.

He was also unfailingly generous towards other fantasists, always ready to offer them support and encouragement. My own ICE & FIRE series might never have found its audience without the cover quote that Jim was so kind as to provide, back when A GAME OF THRONES was first published. I will always be grateful to him for that.

And there are several Wheel of Time related mentions in A Song of Ice and Fire.

• Lord Trebor Jordayne of the Tor is mentioned by Tyrion Lannister as being one of the great lords of Dorne. Robert Jordan was published by Tor Books for most of his career (A Storm of Swords).
  • Lady Rohanne Webber of Coldmoat has her hair tied in a long braid and tugs on it in moments of high stress, similar to the character of Nynaeve al'Meara in Jordan's Wheel of Time novels.
  • Archmaester Rigney is mentioned as theorising that time is a wheel. James Oliver Rigney, Jr. was Robert Jordan's real name.
  • The Coat of Arms of House Toland is a dragon eating its own tail, and is meant to represent the unending and cyclic nature of time, same as the Great Serpent in Jordan's the Wheel of Time.

I'm sure they still have to make a pilot and it has to not suck, but at the very least they're doing that. I hope it's at least half as good as GoT. I should probably go to a JordanCon before the show comes out so I can see the before and after.

But so help me God if they cast Moiraine wrong there will be heck to pay.

If Merry Poppins is practically perfect, then Moiraine is literally perfect.

Except when she does dumb stuff.

• Plus1 1
  • 3 weeks later...

It's hard for me to take that seriously, because the show clearly takes place in an equivalent to medieval times.

Men died horribly in medieval times but women were a lot more likely to get raped and generally treated like crap especially during war.

Also, seems like the reverse of the test on 2 women talking should be done for men. The men in the show talk about women all the time too.

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...

Hello. My name is knapplc, and I just finished watching Season 7, Episode 7 of this show. 

From the time this show debuted until I started watching it in about September of this year, I managed to avoid most spoilers.  Here are the things I couldn't avoid

I knew about Hodor. I knew how he got his name, and that it was related to a "time travel" character. I knew he died holding the door from the White Walkers. 

I "knew" that Jon Snow and Khaleesi survived into Season 7 because I saw promo material for Season 7 showing them both together standing somewhere cold. Whatever the promo pic was, they were both wearing fur and there was snow everywhere.  So I was JUST A BIT SURPRISED when Jon died in Season 6. And it made sense when he came back because we'd already seen Beric come back before, but I didn't piece that together until they brought Melisandre in to try to resurrect him.

I knew Khaleesi's name and that she was "Mother of Dragons," and that there would be dragons. Duh.

I knew there were the White Walker/zombie things, but that's about it.  Mostly I knew this in relation to Hodor, but I figured they'd be a big thing.

I knew the name Lannister, and I'd seen images of Tyrion and Cersei, but I didn't know who was who or what they meant.  The image I saw of Cersei was with her short hair, in black, on the throne.  So something in Season 6 or 7, whenever she became Queen. I'm a big fan of Lena Headey, so I always liked Cersei. I knew nothing about Tywin or Jaime Lannister, or that Jaime and Cersei boinked. 

I think I saw some images of Brienne. She wasn't a surprise to me, however I knew about her. 

I knew basically nothing about the Starks, other than Sean Bean played Ned Stark and that he died. But Sean Bean always dies, and that wasn't shocking. 

I also knew the whole "brace yourself" meme because it was inescapable online for years.  But I didn't know about the whole weather patterns and years-long winters. 

I knew nothing about the Greyjoys, the Baratheons, the Boltons (or anything about the Theon timeline/torture stuff, which sucked), or really any other major or minor house or character.  So the whole thing was a big revelation to me.

Mostly it was good.  Some of it sucked.   A lot of the violence, bloodshed, torture and horror was gratuitous, and I felt manipulated by the show for a lot of i, as in, there were cheap shocks and thrills that didn't need to be there.  The blood was OK, but a lot of it (especially with the Boltons/Ramsay) was gratuitous.  The nudity was mostly nice, because pretty much everyone is smoking hot, but absolutely none of it was necessary and it seemed like "this is HBO so we have to show a bunch of skin."  It was mostly dumb. 

The worst part was when Shereen died.  That show was awful, and I almost paused watching the rest of it for a while.  And then when it all turned out to be wasted and useless, that was almost as bad.  When Stannis died and all of his story was wasted, all I could think about were Shereen's screams, begging for help.  Ick.  That's cheap manipulation of the audience and I don't like it. 

Same with Theon's torture/storyline.  It was just never-ending and dumb.  I hope he dies or finds a spine in the last season SOON. 

The Army of the Dead is dumb.  You have this good story about all these warring feudal houses that is super entertaining, and then suddenly there's this zombie army that comes in and changes everything.  All the previous seven seasons of warring and strife are basically prologue to this whole upcoming war.  I don't need it.  Give me more Cersei, more Bronn of Blackwater, more Uncle The Hound (love that guy!) and more Tyrion - LOTS more Tyrion - and I'd be happy. 

Season 8 seems like it's going to be Walking Dead meets Lord of the Rings, and that's not the story I signed up to watch in the previous seven seasons. Yawn.

So that's my catching up wrap.  I'm sure I forgot tons.  Now I can go read this whole thread and see what you guys have been saying this whole time, and what I missed. I'm sure I missed a LOT.

• Plus1 2
  • 1 month later...

• 3 months later...

This has nothing to do with the show, but I thought it was kinda funny:

Game Of Thrones' Sophie Turner is our new favorite Manic Sausage Dream Girl

You probably recognize Sophie Turner from Game Of Thrones and the X-Men franchise, but we unsophisticated pop-culture dweebs at The Takeout are too busy stuffing our faceholes to spend much time keeping up with Hollywood trendsetters. Instead, we admire Turner not for her acting chops, but for her side obsession: sausage reviews.

1 hour ago, GSG said:

This has nothing to do with the show, but I thought it was kinda funny:

Game Of Thrones' Sophie Turner is our new favorite Manic Sausage Dream Girl

You probably recognize Sophie Turner from Game Of Thrones and the X-Men franchise, but we unsophisticated pop-culture dweebs at The Takeout are too busy stuffing our faceholes to spend much time keeping up with Hollywood trendsetters. Instead, we admire Turner not for her acting chops, but for her side obsession: sausage reviews.

I watched X-Men: Apocalypse a couple days ago.  She was in that as well.  Hubba hubba.  :thumbs