30 Day Challenges

These things drive me crazy, 'cause they're stupid. Doing 300 body-weight squats in a row does NOTHING for the ass/thighs/other muscles. All it does is get you some cardio when you could get that by doing a far less annoying exercise. Same goes for any other 30 day challenge that has you doing more than 20 reps of anything. I just felt the need to rant somewhere. If I did it on FB I would offend all the people on my FB who do them.

I think they are stupid also but you still benefit from them. You are still breaking down the muscle just like you would doing low reps, heavier weight. It just takes you longer and I would rather get the same benefit out of a 45-60 min workout than a 90-120 min workout. My buddy that is a competitive powerlifter and trainer has his clients do high rep (50+) on light weight squats, lunges and such. He even does them while training for meets.

Just delete or lock this thread. You're making conclusions that are WAY over your head.

the f#*k?

Pretty much what everyone else has said so far. I have been working out for years and I can guarantee that if I added 300 body squats each day for a month, I would make some gains. For a new fitness enthusiast, the results would be astronomical.

The 30 day challenges I have seen are mainly for motivation or educational purposes. Such as, don't drink pop for 30 days. That will hopefully get you to realize you don't need a pop every day and you actually feel better by not drinking it. Or...go for a walk each day for 30 days. That will hopefully get your lard ass off the couch and make you realize you actually feel better getting SOME exercise so then you will continue doing it.

The American public is so fat and unhealthy that I'm not going to criticize any effort to try to change that.

Just delete or lock this thread. You're making conclusions that are WAY over your head.

the f#*k?

Pretty much what everyone else has said so far.

No, not really. All but one person was polite about it. What you said in this response would've been perfectly fine. I exaggerated by saying it would do "nothing," but I've read a lot of research saying high reps are less effective, so, no, it's not over my head, or way over my head. I've also read that when doing high reps the reason there is improvement is just because you're training to failure, so it's those last few reps that are doing anything.

These things drive me crazy, 'cause they're stupid. Doing 300 body-weight squats in a row does NOTHING for the ass/thighs/other muscles. All it does is get you some cardio when you could get that by doing a far less annoying exercise. Same goes for any other 30 day challenge that has you doing more than 20 reps of anything. I just felt the need to rant somewhere. If I did it on FB I would offend all the people on my FB who do them.

Wifi? Dat you?

I used to make up my own "300" hundreds, I kind of stole it from Gym Jones...a gym out in Utah (I think) that uses/has some interesting ideas...I created my 300's and the challenge was based off of my time to complete it. For example...one 300 would look like this

50 reps of barbell bench (I would use 135 and try to get to 50 reps as fast as I could)

50 triceps extension

25 one armed dumbbell bench (Then 25 on the other arm, usually using like, 50 pounders)

50 push ups

50 barbell incline presses (usually like 95 pounds)

50 barbell decline (back to 135)

That is a total of 300 reps

Anywho, I would start a stopwatch and see how long it took me to complete all 300 reps.

Then I made ones for my back, my arms, shoulders, you name it. I would rotate them.

I would try to beat the time the next time I did that particular 300....it was usually between like 17 and 25 minutes. You felt like you were going to vomit but they were a fun change.