30 Day Challenges

Just delete or lock this thread. You're making conclusions that are WAY over your head.

the f#*k?

Pretty much what everyone else has said so far.

No, not really. All but one person was polite about it. What you said in this response would've been perfectly fine. I exaggerated by saying it would do "nothing," but I've read a lot of research saying high reps are less effective, so, no, it's not over my head, or way over my head. I've also read that when doing high reps the reason there is improvement is just because you're training to failure, so it's those last few reps that are doing anything.

"Do 'nothing'" is a BIG difference from "less effective". Spouting that kind of information off is ignorant and can have a detrimental effect on those who aren't as knowledgeable about fitness.

In addition, "less effective" is MUCH better than nothing. If someone feels more comfortable doing 300 air squats from the privacy of their home as opposed to doing comparable but "more effective" exercises at a gym, it still beats the heck out of doing nothing.

• 7 months later...

These things drive me crazy, 'cause they're stupid. Doing 300 body-weight squats in a row does NOTHING for the ass/thighs/other muscles. All it does is get you some cardio when you could get that by doing a far less annoying exercise. Same goes for any other 30 day challenge that has you doing more than 20 reps of anything. I just felt the need to rant somewhere. If I did it on FB I would offend all the people on my FB who do them.

I agree. Time better spent elsewhere, like learning to squat, deadlift, overhead press and bench press with an actual barbell.

Just delete or lock this thread. You're making conclusions that are WAY over your head.

the f#*k?

Pretty much what everyone else has said so far. I have been working out for years and I can guarantee that if I added 300 body squats each day for a month, I would make some gains. For a new fitness enthusiast, the results would be astronomical.

And I can guarantee if someone goes from doing nothing, to do 300 body squats, the pain they are going to feel for the next few days will not only cause them to NOT do any exercise, it may cause them to be deterred from trying that again. Every person is different, some need to start slower than others and work their way up.

I think challenges are great. Whatever one needs to peak some interest and make it fun. I recently completed a 30 day challenge I made on my own. On Day 1 I did a push-up, a sit-up and a bench dip. On Day 2 I went to 2 of each. As I got to more reps I divided up into sets if needed. I did this to build discipline and see a slow gain. Most people do too much too fast and base the work off of will power ... rather then lovin' on yourself.

Anyway, had a lot of fun with the challenge. It was fun to use my breaks at work to knock it out. After 30 days I was feeling good and thought I'd see if I could get to 50. I did. Eventually went to 150 of each. I really enjoyed the discipline this created. I also enjoyed the many folks who took up the 30 day challenge themselves. The challenge was attainable for most newbies and for those who needed to take it slower I set them up with doing 3 of each in week one and then 4 of each in week two and build up from there. The point was to get moving and have fun with it. Love wins over will power any day of the week in my book.