Husker Camp Countdown

Though kickoff to the college football season is still more than two months away, practice starts in a little more than a month. Its there where Nebraska will forge its identity for the season, where position battles will be won and lost, where leadership comes out of the background to take charge.

If Nebraska is going to win a Big Ten title, staff writers Rich Kaipust, Jon Nyatawa and Sam McKewon are betting on these 50 Huskers plus 10 more in todays honorable mention category to do most of the heavy lifting.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/husker-camp-countdown-honorable-mentions/article_65109e38-fa83-11e3-a263-0017a43b2370.html

Though both are capable, I'm not expecting to see Farmer or Gates this year. I just don't think there would be a big reason to burn a redshirt for a backup spot.

I think Kondolo will be in the rotation but not a starter. Finnin may get some snaps as well but I just don't get the feeling that he'll be a major player.

Of that list, I'd say Irons and Pierson-El have the best chance to make an impact. Though I like AA and Bell returning kicks, I'd rather not have them out there if we have other capable guys.

• Fire 1

Though both are capable, I'm not expecting to see Farmer or Gates this year. I just don't think there would be a big reason to burn a redshirt for a backup spot.

I think Kondolo will be in the rotation but not a starter. Finnin may get some snaps as well but I just don't get the feeling that he'll be a major player.

Of that list, I'd say Irons and Pierson-El have the best chance to make an impact. Though I like AA and Bell returning kicks, I'd rather not have them out there if we have other capable guys.

Mosley at CB is my pick to make an impact. Might not be until conference play.

Mosley at CB is my pick to make an impact. Might not be until conference play.

He would be my next pick as well. Unfortunately for him, we'll need fewer CBs as the year goes on. Michigan State, Rutgers, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa are five of the last seven games and two CBs will be the order of the day I would guess.

I dunno. Two open spots to fill this year. Finnin might just nab one of them. It's between him, Alex Lewis and Zach Sterup to fill both tackle spots, right?

I dunno. Two open spots to fill this year. Finnin might just nab one of them. It's between him, Alex Lewis and Zach Sterup to fill both tackle spots, right?

Those three plus Knevel seem to be ahead right now. We also have Dwayne Johnson and possibly Nick Gates.

Lewis has one spot locked down and Sterup is a heavy favorite for the other. Finnin will get some work but I see a three-man rotation with Knevel getting the other spot.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 50 Peyton Newel

POSTED: TUESDAY, JUNE 24, 2014 8:00 AM By Sam McKewon / World-Herald staff writer

Peyton Newell | 6-3 | 285 pounds | Fr. | Defensive lineman
One of the more productive defensive players in recent Kansas high school history, Newell was a top recruit in the 2014 class. LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 49 Gabriel Miller

POSTED: WEDNESDAY, JUNE 25, 2014 8:00 AM By Sam McKewon / World-Herald staff writer

Gabriel Miller | 6-0 | 220 pounds | So. | Long Snapper

Perhaps that’s because coach Bo Pelini, defensive coordinator John Papuchis and special teams coordinator Ross Els have committed to offering a scholarship to a great long snapper — and thus guaranteeing they get one of the nation’s best.

First, it was P.J. Mangieri. Now, it’s Gabriel Miller, who had a perfect year of snapping as a true freshman. While fans won’t much notice Miller unless he makes a mistake, treating the position with care, like NFL teams do, is probably a good idea when there are 85 scholarships to hand out. LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 48 David Knevel

POSTED: THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2014 8:00 AM By Sam McKewon / World-Herald staff writer

David Knevel | 6-9 | 310 pounds | RFr. | Offensive Tackle

Knevel spent a redshirt year gaining good weight and trying to block Nebraska’s strong defensive ends on the scout team. In the spring, that development appeared to pay off, as Knevel held his own at left tackle behind Alex Lewis.

Although Lewis looks to be the clear starter — arguably the best lineman on the team — Knevel will be a valuable backup. He could conceivably flip to the right side and back up Zach Sterup, as well. Knevel’s best days are ahead of him, but he should play in every game this year.

LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 47 Ryker Fyfe

POSTED: FRIDAY, JUNE 27, 2014 8:00 AM By Sam McKewon / World-Herald staff writer

Ryker Fyfe | 6-2 | 210 pounds | So. | Quarterback

Fyfe needs to win the backup job over scholarship redshirt freshman Johnny Stanton first. And he just might; in spring camp, Fyfe proved adept at running the zone read and managing the short passing game that offensive coordinator Tim Beck needs to work.

Fyfe is also a skilled thrower on the run. He doesn’t stretch the field as well as Tommy Armstrong, and he’s not quite as physical a runner like Stanton. But Fyfe is ahead of where Kellogg was at this stage in his career.

LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 47 Ryker Fyfe

POSTED: FRIDAY, JUNE 27, 2014 8:00 AM By Sam McKewon / World-Herald staff writer

Ryker Fyfe | 6-2 | 210 pounds | So. | Quarterback

Fyfe needs to win the backup job over scholarship redshirt freshman Johnny Stanton first. And he just might; in spring camp, Fyfe proved adept at running the zone read and managing the short passing game that offensive coordinator Tim Beck needs to work.

Fyfe is also a skilled thrower on the run. He doesn’t stretch the field as well as Tommy Armstrong, and he’s not quite as physical a runner like Stanton. But Fyfe is ahead of where Kellogg was at this stage in his career.

LINK

Is he really 210 lbs? Looks lighter to me. Also, he looks faster than the 4.8 forty they list for him in Rivals.