What's the biggest reason for Blacks not advancing

Yea, that's the same thing.

By all means, explain why it is any less justified than the lawlessness we've been seeing in St. Louis. You all sound like *that* parent who will come up with any reason, no matter how ridiculous to explain their spoiled kids' behavior. The parents are at least partly to blame for how those kids turn out, and their actions bear a striking resemblance to the ridiculous excuse-making in this thread.

A kid is dead, and that's a tragedy. Let the FBI do their jobs. If there's strong evidence that the officer did something wrong, he will be arrested and likely imprisoned. In the meantime, this is a nation of laws, and anyone who uses this tragedy to loot and destroy need to be identified and jailed for significant periods of time.

By all means, explain why it is any less justified than the lawlessness we've been seeing in St. Louis. You all sound like *that* parent who will come up with any reason, no matter how ridiculous to explain their spoiled kids' behavior. The parents are at least partly to blame for how those kids turn out, and their actions bear a striking resemblance to the ridiculous excuse-making in this thread.

A kid is dead, and that's a tragedy. Let the FBI do their jobs. If there's strong evidence that the officer did something wrong, he will be arrested and likely imprisoned. In the meantime, this is a nation of laws, and anyone who uses this tragedy to loot and destroy need to be identified and jailed for significant periods of time.

I see what you were trying to do but I think protesting a kid getting shot and killed by a cop and protesting a speed camera ticket are on opposite sides of the spectrum.

The point should just be made that committing a crime on an innocent person is NEVER justified in response to anything you feel is wrong. Especially since the facts have not been sorted out and no one knows who is to blame.

I see what you were trying to do but I think protesting a kid getting shot and killed by a cop and protesting a speed camera ticket are on opposite sides of the spectrum.

The point should just be made that committing a crime on an innocent person is NEVER justified in response to anything you feel is wrong. Especially since the facts have not been sorted out and no one knows who is to blame.

That's precisely what I am saying. My opening line was implying that there was zero justification for breaking the law in protest of either perceived injustice. I have no problem protesting and being a pain in the ass if you don't think something's right. That's about as American as it gets. Deciding that something happening that you don't like is a hall pass for criminal behavior doesn't qualify.

• Fire 1

You're basically asking a black community to sit back and let the law handle this situation...after the law just killed an innocent unarmed african-american.

No sh#t, rioting is bad, yadayada. But the utter lack of societal awareness being displayed in this thread is appalling.

No one is saying these people are justified. What they are saying is that it might be understandable. It's been 23 years since the police beat the hell out of Rodney King, and what has happened in the last few years that makes you think we've progressed racially from that point?

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/staten-island-man-dies-puts-choke-hold-article-1.1871486

"A 400-pound asthmatic Staten Island dad died Thursday after a cop put him in a chokehold and other officers appeared to slam his head against the sidewalk, video of the incident shows."

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/07/05/3456686/california-highway-patrol-beat-woman/

"A highway patrol officer was filmed punching a woman on the side of a Los Angeles freeway last week in what appears to be the latest incident of police brutality in the area."

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/09/15/police-shoot-kill-unarmed-black-man-seeking-assistance-after-serious-car-accident/

"Police shoot, kill unarmed black man seeking assistance after ‘serious’ car accident"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/07/13/george-zimmerman-found-not-guilty/2514163/

"George Zimmerman found not guilty"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9462644/Outrage-in-US-as-black-man-is-shot-in-head-while-handcuffed-in-police-car.html

"The death of a young black man who was shot in the head while handcuffed in the back of a police car has caused uproar among the black community in Arkansas, a US state with deep racial faultlines."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/13/opinion/racial-discrimination-in-stop-and-frisk.html?_r=0

"Judge Shira Scheindlin of Federal District Court in New York upheld the bedrock principle of individual liberty on Monday when she ruled that the tactics underlying New York City’s stop-and-frisk program violated the constitutional rights of minority citizens. She found that the city had been “deliberately indifferent” to police officers illegally detaining and frisking minority residents on the streets over many years."

So, no, they aren't justified in looting and rioting. But year after year, incident after incident, blacks are killed, beaten, and jailed at a higher rate than whites. And it isn't changing. At some point, you begin to understand how the frustration boils over.

• Fire 1

What's the bigger problem? A night of rioting or hundreds of years worth of racial oppression that still continues today?

You need to quantify said oppression, particularly for modern day black Americans, and give potential remedies. Carte blanche to riot and destroy things until the rest of the country gives them what they think they deserve isn't among them.

You're basically asking a black community to sit back and let the law handle this situation...after the law just killed an innocent unarmed african-american.

No sh#t, rioting is bad, yadayada. But the utter lack of societal awareness being displayed in this thread is appalling.

Who the hell says the guy was innocent? If you're assaulting a cop, you're not innocent. Is that what happened? I have no idea, but unlike you, I'm willing to wait for the police, FBI and DOJ to do their thing.

If you think that those people looted and rioted those stores because of social injustice, you have your head buried in the sand.

• Fire 5

What's the bigger problem? A night of rioting or hundreds of years worth of racial oppression that still continues today?

You need to quantify said oppression, particularly for modern day black Americans, and give potential remedies. Carte blanche to riot and destroy things until the rest of the country gives them what they think they deserve isn't among them.

So we know for a fact that blacks are targeted by police, charged more often, convicted more often, and receive longer sentences (controlling for crime rates of course). We know they make less money, we know they generally lack the same access to quality education. What have I not covered.

• Fire 1

So we know for a fact that blacks are targeted by police, charged more often, convicted more often, and receive longer sentences (controlling for crime rates of course). We know they make less money, we know they generally lack the same access to quality education. What have I not covered.

Maybe that everything you just said also applies to Hispanics and other underprivileged minorities and yet they somehow manage to convey their displeasure in nonviolent ways.

• Fire 1

Maybe that everything you just said also applies to Hispanics and other underprivileged minorities and yet they somehow manage to convey their displeasure in nonviolent ways.

We don't really know that for a fact. it might be that the media selects what it covers.

I often wondered about this. Do you think they are targeted by police, charged more often, convicted more often and receive longer sentences because they are more open about the crimes they are committing?

• Fire 1

So, anyone who has a system stacked against them is justified in rebelling by looting, and vandalizing everything in their sight.

I'm currently fighting a speed camera ticket from Sioux City. That's a system transparently designed to screw people without due process. Does this mean I get to grab a brick and upgrade my entertainment center with 60 sleek inches of Council Bluffs plasma?

Sioux City, Iowa? If so you're almost certainly screwed. Just say it's civil and poof.

"A 400-pound asthmatic Staten Island dad died Thursday after a cop put him in a chokehold and other officers appeared to slam his head against the sidewalk, video of the incident shows."

DA is considering charges...

"A highway patrol officer was filmed punching a woman on the side of a Los Angeles freeway last week in what appears to be the latest incident of police brutality in the area."

Internal investigation and lawsuits under way....

"Police shoot, kill unarmed black man seeking assistance after ‘serious’ car accident"

The cop in question has been indicted for the killing.

"George Zimmerman found not guilty"

Anyone paying attention to the substance of the case, not the politics, knows the jury came to the correct legal conclusion. Nobody knows what happened at the crucial moments of that incident, and that's reasonable doubt.

"The death of a young black man who was shot in the head while handcuffed in the back of a police car has caused uproar among the black community in Arkansas, a US state with deep racial faultlines."

Ruled a suicide by the medical examiner. The cops did nothing legally wrong, they were just too incompetent to pat him down adequately.

"Judge Shira Scheindlin of Federal District Court in New York upheld the bedrock principle of individual liberty on Monday when she ruled that the tactics underlying New York City’s stop-and-frisk program violated the constitutional rights of minority citizens. She found that the city had been “deliberately indifferent” to police officers illegally detaining and frisking minority residents on the streets over many years."

Wouldn't the elimination of a prejudicial enforcement tactic be the kind of progress you're claiming to be absent?

I'm not claiming there's no cases where blacks have suffered miscarriages of justice because of skin color/socioeconomic status. My point in going through these is that not only is it not a good idea to build a case on anecdotes, a lot of those anecdotes aren't even cases where "the system" protects whites at the expense of blacks. Rather than open the eyes of the rest of America, doing this sort of thing is just reinforcing the idea of victimhood among blacks, which makes everything else worse.
  • Fire 2