Marijuana and Football Players

I don't know if this has ever been discussed and I wasn't sure whether to put it here or in the P&R forum...

We see a lot of reports of football players these days that get dismissed from football teams for smoking weed. My question is, if Marijuana is legal in your state like Washington and Colorado, what are the repercussions, if any, to football players on your football teams? Regardless of level.

Would it still stay part of team policy? Is the policy geared toward state law? Do you treat it like alcohol use?

If you could allow only one to be ok on YOUR football team what would you pick, alcohol use or marijuana?

Marijuana is still illegal under the "federal law". This is why jobs in those states are allowed to still hold drug testing for these.

I am not against, or for it. I don't do it, but I also see it as a natural grown plant. I personally think schools/sports shouldn't allow the consumption of marijuana, because then players will show up under the influence. You give them a short leash, there will be a few who misuse it.

I don't think a player should be kicked off for a first offense. A punishment of some sort would be suitable, but dismissal from the team is too harsh. Second time, hefty punishment, third time, bye bye.

If I had to pick ONE to be ok, it would be alcohol for those of age. Otherwise, neither would be ok for my football team.

There are state laws but then again there company/school guidelines. They might not always agree.

I would pick alcohol over marijuana. Marijuana stays in your system longer. If the substance becomes a problem then I would pursue more aggressive testing.

THC (marijuana) stays in your system longer because your body doesn't consider it to be a bad thing. alcohol and the other illegal drugs are out of your system in a few days because your body views it as poison, and as such tries to purge it as quickly as possible. it tries to hold on to THC, which should tell you all that you need to know about how bad they are for you. if we're going on a strictly "how bad is it for you" scale, alcohol is much worse. the only real danger from marijuana is damage to your lungs, and there are ways to ingest THC that no longer require you to smoke it. you shouldn't smoke it and drive around, but you shouldn't after drinking either, which we all know is a common enough occurrence.

• Fire 1

Von Miller still got suspended from the Broncos for smoking weed.

That said, I'd rather them be smoking weed than drinking. Not addictive like alcohol nor can it kill people like alcohol can.

I think that is just a personal opinion. I actually know way more people who smoke on a regular basis, than people that smoke. They are both equally addictive, in my opinion.

That said, I'd rather them be smoking weed than drinking. Not addictive like alcohol nor can it kill people like alcohol can.

I think that is just a personal opinion. I actually know way more people who smoke on a regular basis, than people that smoke. They are both equally addictive, in my opinion.

I respectfully disagree and I have numerous friends that were marijuana users in their past that would disagree with you too.

• Fire 3

I respectfully disagree and I have numerous friends that were marijuana users in their past that would disagree with you too.

Ummm who are you disagreeing with? Me? Lol

I can tell you that quitting smoking was much much worse than quitting weed which thankfully was always temporary due to the ever annoying drug test. I was an evil person when I quit smoking cigarettes. I had no idea how addictive it truly was until I quit. Personally I feel like the whole drug testing issue is an invasion of my privacy. I am so tired with the government's stance on marijuana while anyone 21 and over can run into any store in America that sells it and purchase a nice bottle of Jack Daniels or whatever their poison is. So hypocritical. Just legalize it already. You'd have to be brain dead to think that marijuana is more dangerous than alcohol or cigarettes. Sorry. Rant over.

• Fire 6

I can tell you that quitting smoking was much much worse than quitting weed which thankfully was always temporary due to the ever annoying drug test. I was an evil person when I quit smoking cigarettes. I had no idea how addictive it truly was until I quit. Personally I feel like the whole drug testing issue is an invasion of my privacy. I am so tired with the government's stance on marijuana while anyone over 21 can run into any store in America that sells it and purchase a nice bottle of Jack Daniels or whatever their poison is. So hypocritical. Just legalize it already. You'd have to be brain dead to think that marijuana is more dangerous than alcohol or cigarettes. Sorry. Rant over.

You can thank our 1915 crazy puritan females for all this...

Most countries you drink at 18...if not 16...

Stupid women

And I have friends that are/ were addicted to weed. It certainly can be addictive, not for everyone, but just like booze, a person can be an addict. To say otherwise is not true.