All this Tim Beck talk....

There has been a lot of Tim Beck talk. A lot of negative reports on him from HB, which is no surprise. There has been a string of bad luck that has happened with Beck, that doesn't help prove that he is a good OC. Like the Martinez injury to the OL injuries, then the groin injury to Bell, ACL to Allen and Enunwa being hurt half way through the season.

I am personally not sold on him, but I do hope to see him prove that he isn't a bad hire. I hope he dominates, moves on to better things. I mean, this is what most assistants want right?

Anyway, the point of this thread isn't to bash Beck, so please leave that to the other threads, but what would you like to see out of him? Don't just say "run more", because statistically we have a VERY good ratio. Be specific.

For me, I would like to see more play action. I can't recall seeing it a lot last season. I would also like to see our run/pass more heavy on the run side when we are trailing, as this is what I believe we do best. As of right now, when we were trailing, it was a 50/50. It obviously wasn't working for us, because every game we trailed, we lost (for what I can remember). Don't get me wrong, if we are manipulating them in the passing game, then keep on it, but you HAVE to keep the defense honest. This is something I don't believe we did much last year. We did against weaker opponents, but that isn't going to get us the national recognition that we all want.

There has been a lot of Tim Beck talk. A lot of negative reports on him from HB, which is no surprise. There has been a string of bad luck that has happened with Beck, that doesn't help prove that he is a good OC. Like the Martinez injury to the OL injuries, then the groin injury to Bell, ACL to Allen and Enunwa being hurt half way through the season.

I am personally not sold on him, but I do hope to see him prove that he isn't a bad hire. I hope he dominates, moves on to better things. I mean, this is what most assistants want right?

Anyway, the point of this thread isn't to bash Beck, so please leave that to the other threads, but what would you like to see out of him? Don't just say "run more", because statistically we have a VERY good ratio. Be specific.

For me, I would like to see more play action. I can't recall seeing it a lot last season. I would also like to see our run/pass more heavy on the run side when we are trailing, as this is what I believe we do best. As of right now, when we were trailing, it was a 50/50. It obviously wasn't working for us, because every game we trailed, we lost (for what I can remember). Don't get me wrong, if we are manipulating them in the passing game, then keep on it, but you HAVE to keep the defense honest. This is something I don't believe we did much last year. We did against weaker opponents, but that isn't going to get us the national recognition that we all want.

I just want to see long drives. Kill the clock, but take big plays always if there is an opportunity. I want to keep the opposing offense off the field and giving our defense the least amount of snaps on the field as possible.

When it works, make the D stop us.

Quit being "to cute" i.e. motions, hurry to line and look to sideline

We have an AA in AA use the running game more.

More play action.

More 2 back sets

Call a game plan that helps out the D. Seems like he calls whatever regardless if it goes 3 and out.

Don't go all Air NU. One game a season, he tries to make NU look like Brady is at QB.

When we get the lead, continue to run what got the lead. Quit going conservative.

Quit making stupid comments several times a year such as "I got to conservative", I was to stubborn and stayed with it"

Make the D adjust to us.

Use misdirection, play action, draws and traps to make the D pay if they get 8+ in the box.

Just a few ideas.

I think we are about to see Becks best offenses in the coming seasons. (if he's not hired away quickly)

I would agree. Beck has show that he can devise a good gameplan (ask Narduzzi and Dantonio). The only QB he's really had was TM and TA for 2/3 a season. I'm looking for a decent jump in production this year.

Ive avoided the threads so far. My take on him is that he is still in his infancy as a coordinator. More worried about the scheme and process than adjusting to your opponent.

I do think this could be his best year yet. He shows improvement every year and he has a good slate to work with.

What do I want to see out of Beck/our offense?

1- Fewer turnovers. Sure a bunch of this falls squarely on the players themselves but the coaches can have them work on the right things and put them in better situations that will reduce turnovers.

2- I want to see Beck walk the talk about taking what the defense gives us. He says that all the time but most of the time it seems to me that he is trying to force square pegs into round holes. Too often he sticks with what isn't working, avoids things that are working, and it seems as if the puts the qb in a position to fail.

3- In game adjustments. This is basically number two all over again but his job is to find something/anything that will sustain drives and put points on the board. The best example of how he has failed at this is last years Minny game. He stayed with Martinez and play calling that was not working for way too long. Yes we had injuries etc. but he can't keep doing what isn't working and expect better results. I just don't know if he's stubborn, stupid, in over his head, or 2 or all 3 of these things. Imo, it requires a do whatever it takes mentality. I'm tired of the excuses for why the job doesn't get done even if many of the excuses are legit.

• Fire 3

I think we are about to see Becks best offenses in the coming seasons. (if he's not hired away quickly)

I would agree. Beck has show that he can devise a good gameplan (ask Narduzzi and Dantonio). The only QB he's really had was TM and TA for 2/3 a season. I'm looking for a decent jump in production this year.
Funny thing is....every year he has their # when it comes to putting up yards and points against them, which the Spartan D is typically the best in the BIG10
  • Fire 1

What do I want to see from Tim Beck? More threads about him. Keep 'em coming, guys.

No need to be a jerk. Just move on if you don't want to read them.

Coaches have little to nothing to do with injury... TM did that to himself, he is immature and deserved what he got and should bear the full guilt of the season that ensued because he couldn't control his emotions.

What in the hell are you talking about? Who said anything about Tim Beck, or any coach being at fault for TM's injuries? Also, as far as I am concerned, its the COACHES fault for playing the kid injured. We failed to recruit a QB who could at least do some of what he could do. Therefore, coaches played him on TURF TOE injury! Not once, but midway from his RSF year all the way to the beginning of his Junior year. Me being a very competitive person, I don't blame Taylor one bit for playing. You would want to do all you can and put yourself at risk to help your brothers on that field. He did JUST that. Its also the coaches fault for playing him in the UCLA game when he already had a bruised shoulder and a fractured foot. For fu#*$ sake, we didn't even give him time to heal before the COACHES allowed him to play in the Minnesota game. Sure Taylor is to blame for his career being ruined forever, but I put more blame on the Coaches for being selfish and not looking out for what was best FOR TAYLOR. I think its quite pathetic for you to say the kid deserved it. Sorry for my attitude, but it sickens me that you would think that about a kid who literally put his all into this school.

(Just to be clear, somehow his original post was removed)

This seems to be one big thing I have seen. Is it that he knows how to manipulate Narduzzi's defense, but really can't figure out the other coaches, or was it due to TM's play making ability? Last year, Ameer did a LOT of work in that game, and Cross had an amazing run through the gut for the TD. Outside of that, TA went 9/21, but had 143 passing yards.

When it works, make the D stop us.

Quit being "to cute" i.e. motions, hurry to line and look to sideline

We have an AA in AA use the running game more.

More play action.

More 2 back sets

Call a game plan that helps out the D. Seems like he calls whatever regardless if it goes 3 and out.

Don't go all Air NU. One game a season, he tries to make NU look like Brady is at QB.

When we get the lead, continue to run what got the lead. Quit going conservative.

Quit making stupid comments several times a year such as "I got to conservative", I was to stubborn and stayed with it"

Make the D adjust to us.

Use misdirection, play action, draws and traps to make the D pay if they get 8+ in the box.

Just a few ideas.

I think everything you said should be in our gameplan! lo country for OC!

My biggest criticism of Beck is his play calling. Sometimes he acts like a kid playing play station. Just forgets his script and goes pass happy for 2 3 & out drives. Or other times he goes to the well a few too many times. Ultimately these are signs if a new play caller. He gets in game, excited and next thing he knows he has gone a quarter without calling a to to play.

That memory comes with experience. TO had it from my memory of his career. Frankie never got it, here at least. Billy showed moments. Beck has too just not enough on the big stage. Let's hope the come to Jesus moment when the staff thought they were fired made them improve their skills.