One Third of South Carolina's 2014 Class May Not Qualify Academically

In a conversation earlier this week, assistant coach Steve Spurrier Jr. conceded to Josh Kendall of The State that eight of the Gamecocks 2014 signees have yet to meet the academic qualifications to enroll in the school. Not only that, but three of the eight — defensive ends Dante Sawyer, Kalan Ritchie and Jhaustin Thomas — have either already announced they are headed to the JUCO ranks (the first two) or have whiffed on signing with the Gamecocks twice (Thomas signed with USC out of high school and, after failing to qualify initially, JUCO).

Sawyer has already stated that he plans to sign with the Gamecocks again in 2015.
The paper writes that “[c]ornerbacks Wesley Green, Chris Lammons and Darin Smalls, fullback Joe Blue and defensive tackle Dexter Wideman still are trying to meet qualifying standards in time to join the Gamecocks in August.”

Link

Good work by the Ole Ball Coach.

Eight signees not qualifying out of 45 signees in the class (I might have this number slightly off) isn't too bad. Still gives them a class of 37

Are you serious? They only had 21 signees... so ya, you're "slightly off".

Pretty sure there was an implied :sarcasm

Its one of those things, where, as a fan of a school, in this case the Huskers...I really don't care how they get in, I know that sounds horrible but I really don't.

If I was a gamecock fan and I later found out that these 7 or 8 guys got in but should "not have" I really would not care.

somewhere around 30% of ours won't be on the roster by August either...

I assume you left off the :sarcasm

Not really, I think we're down to 19 with 1 of those pleading guilty this week to drug use. 19 out of 25, and you know we'll probably drop at least 1 more. This is a pretty rough year for class turnover for us, considering we only lost 1 I think the prior year (suttles).

Edit: forgot about Keels/Cockrel.

I assume you left off the :sarcasm

Not really, I think we're down to 19 with 1 of those pleading guilty this week to drug use. 19 out of 25, and you know we'll probably drop at least 1 more. This is a pretty rough year for class turnover for us, considering we only lost 1 I think the prior year (suttles).

I think you need to check your numbers.

• Fire 1

We've lost one person to academics. How in the world are you going to try and compare the two.

Edit. After reading the rest you are way off on this. We've lost three total, not six, one of which was one of the top HS baseball prospects in the world. Nice try, feels like I'm arguing with a fan of another team.