Husker Fullback Roundtable: Former fullbacks discuss the program, concussions, NU's future and more

Mike'l Severe of The Omaha World Herald's "The Bottom Line" had a fantastic roundtable discussion with former Cornhusker Fullback greats Cory Schlesinger, and Jeff & Joel Makovicka.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/husker-roundtable-former-fullbacks-discuss-the-program-concussions-nu-s/article_f7ad3ef4-0d43-11e4-914a-0017a43b2370.html

They discuss everything from what it was like to play the fullback position for Nebraska during the dominant 1990's run. They also share stories about Frank Solich, along with their thoughts on where this Nebraska program currently stands and where it could be in the next decade.

It's an hour long video, but I highly recommend it.

• Fire 1

Great interview, we need more guys like this trio, hard working, tough Nebraska kids who want it. Joel I believe, was saying we need to focus more on the Nebraska kids who want to earn a spot on the team. Joel was talking sh#t about PJ Smith from the 2012 team later on also, pretty funny part. Jeff wants us to get back to physical running offenses that will f#*k up the opposing team, he thinks it's the biggest thing stopping us from returning to prominence. Joel said a similar quote below.

Joel Makovicka on how the Huskers' physical offense helped sharpen the defense:

"(Teams) had no idea what was going to hit them. We practiced so physical. ... That's why we had a great defense. We were coming downhill at these guys, and our offensive line was coming downhill. I still say this today. That's why Alabama's good now, and that's why some of these teams are winning national championships. Your offense has to be physical and practice against the defense every day."

Great interview, we need more guys like this trio, hard working, tough Nebraska kids who want it. Joel I believe, was saying we need to focus more on the Nebraska kids who want to earn a spot on the team. Joel was talking sh#t about PJ Smith from the 2012 team later on also, pretty funny part. Jeff wants us to get back to physical running offenses that will f#*k up the opposing team, he thinks it's the biggest thing stopping us from returning to prominence. Joel said a similar quote below.

"(Teams) had no idea what was going to hit them. We practiced so physical. ... That's why we had a great defense. We were coming downhill at these guys, and our offensive line was coming downhill. I still say this today. That's why Alabama's good now, and that's why some of these teams are winning national championships. Your offense has to be physical and practice against the defense every day."

Yeah, well, kinda. I mean, if you have average players going "SO HARD AND PHYSICAL" at each other in practice they are still going to be average.

Yeah, well, kinda. I mean, if you have average players going "SO HARD AND PHYSICAL" at each other in practice they are still going to be average.

All those "average" 2 and 3 star college players now playing in the NFL might disagree...

• Fire 1

All those "average" 2 and 3 star college players now playing in the NFL might disagree.

The guys that make the NFL are not average just because some fatty that is standing in the shade at a camp, while eating a hotdog decides to put 3 stars next to their name.

I think everyone would benefit from getting off the 'we need hard-working Nebraska kids...' rant. It's just not that kind of game for us right now. I think we had a good system in place that allowed these guys to flourish, something that isn't present right now.

I think there may be something to the idea that a lack of physicality may be holding Nebraska back. That's my personal preference in an offense, though. I preferred we did more downhill running to the likes of Stanford, MSU, etc., but I don't have to have it. If we can make something else work than I'm all for it.

All those "average" 2 and 3 star college players now playing in the NFL might disagree.

The guys that make the NFL are not average just because some fatty that is standing in the shade at a camp, while eating a hotdog decides to put 3 stars next to their name.

I believe that you are not born great, most athletes are "average" until they put in the hard work and dedication to become great. I'm not saying everyone can do it, you have to have some amount of God given talent, but if you are not going "SO HARD AND PHYSICAL" no matter what type of player you are, I doubt you will ever become great. I disagree in the fact that you are saying average players can't become great players, that they will just stay average.

I wish former players would just say they support the team and will be cheering for them on Saturdays, whether you agree with the style of play or not. Little interviews like this are non-productive. They either make the former player look like a bitter "back in my day" guy, they create unnecessary controversy, or they make it seem as I there's a rift between current and former team personnel.

I wish former players would just say they support the team and will be cheering for them on Saturdays, whether you agree with the style of play or not. Little interviews like this are non-productive. They either make the former player look like a bitter "back in my day" guy, they create unnecessary controversy, or they make it seem as I there's a rift between current and former team personnel.

You're talking about some proud, intense former ayers. They probably are very protective of the program they played for, and respect it. Is be more shocked if they weren't opinionated.

In the 80's and especially the 90's Nebraska didn't care if the defense knew what was coming. Any college football fan who would watch those teams play could easily see that both from a philosophical and mental standpoint, Nebraska just wanted to be the more physical team...and believed they were the more physical team.

What set Nebraska apart from the rest of college football during those years was the brilliant meshing of power football & option football. Opposing defenses had a very hard time preparing for all that Nebraska threw at them from a running game standpoint. Example...

Nebraska Running Game in the 1990's:

• Inside Zone / Outside Zone
  • 41/49 Pitch - which was like a toss sweep, but with zone blocking.
  • Counter Trap / Counter Sweep
  • FB Trap / QB Trap
  • I-Back Draw / QB Draw
  • I-Back Iso / QB Iso

Nebraska Option Game in the 1990's:

• 11/19 Base - Fake the FB Dive QB & I-Back run speed option.
  • 11/19 Dive - Same look as 11/19 Base but it's a pure give to the FB.
  • 11/19 Veer - Pure Triple Option reading end man on the line of scrimmage.
  • Arc or Load Option - FB is lead blocker.
  • Belly G Option - QB reverse pivots away from the play-call. Play-side guard pulls as lead blocker.
  • Wall Option - Backside guard pulls as lead blocker. Looks similar to FB Trap.
  • Speed Option

I know I missed many plays, but this was just meant to show what opposing defenses had to prepare for within a week's time frame...and that's just the running game! That doesn't include our play-action passing game off of all those runs, our quick game, along with the various screens we would throw.

My point is this: Everyone remembers Nebraska for our option offense, but in reality Nebraska's true calling card was being or trying to be the most physical football team in the country. Tom Osborne himself said we only ran option 25-30% of the time. Our physical North/South running game is what defined us...the option is what set us apart.

So what can set Nebraska apart in 2014 and beyond?

Everywhere you look teams are running more and more spread-no huddle, up-tempo offenses. How can Nebraska set itself apart and be different? Here are my own opinions:

• Huddle. Slow the game down. Control the clock. Rest your defense. Keep opposing offense off the field.

• Play great defense.

• Establish a punishing in your face running game designed more around misdirection / counters / options.

• Utilize more big offensive sets of two & three tight end formations.

• Be counter to the rest of the college football world. Embrace the fullback position. Make it part of your identity whether it's from the I-formation or 2-Back Pistol.

• Establish a PHYSICAL---DOMINANT---NO QUIT ATTITUDE.

• Blend old-school blocking schemes with modern day read-option / inverted veer schemes.

These are just my opinions. Feel free to agree or disagree with them as you wish. I personally feel if Nebraska would completely scrap their no-huddle philosophy and go back to a more traditional offense that huddles and controls the clock, similar to a current day Stanford, Michigan State offense, but also include the option game which those two teams don't do as much...I really believe this would set our program a part from the rest of the country.

So what do you all think? Where do you personally want to see this Nebraska program and it's identity/philosophy in the next 5 years? 10 years?

• Fire 6