McKewon: Preview of Opposing QBs

The toughest opposing quarterback on Nebraska’s regular-season schedule completed less than 50 percent of his passes for 193 yards against the Huskers last year.

At least on preseason paper — which, admittedly, couldn’t buy a stick of gum by October — Michigan State’s Connor Cook is as good as it gets. And while Cook’s stock rose by the end of the Spartans’ Rose Bowl win, if he represents the top end of NU’s frustrations, it’s safe to say the Huskers aren’t in 2011 anymore.
That’s the year, you’ll recall, that Nebraska faced Russell Wilson, Denard Robinson, Derek Carr, Kirk Cousins, Matt McGloin and Braxton Miller. The first five are in the NFL in some capacity. Miller is the two-time Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year.
So, not only is the Huskers’ defense projected to be as strong as it’s been since 2010, it’ll face the weakest roster of opposing quarterbacks since 2005, when Missouri’s Brad Smith and Pittsburgh’s Tyler Palko were headliners.

OWH

You can check his stats all day...that guy is a horrible QB and on a great day he is average.

Period. No doubt. Not throwing a lot of picks is more game plan. I could design a game plan where T-Mart would go the entire season with zero picks...hell they almost did it when Keller was the QB with the dump offs.

Cook will have the same exact stats this year...but they will have 4-6 losses.

You can check his stats all day...that guy is a horrible QB and on a great day he is average.

Period. No doubt. Not throwing a lot of picks is more game plan. I could design a game plan where T-Mart would go the entire season with zero picks...hell they almost did it when Keller was the QB with the dump offs.

Cook will have the same exact stats this year...but they will have 4-6 losses.

2mbe2Z8.gif

Cook is good but he's certainly not a player that worries me. He completed less than 50 percent of his passes and had a 45.6 QB rating against us last year. He's a player that makes you feel comfortable but isn't going to make a lot of great throws against you.

seems like cook is a testament to msu's stout defense. the better the defense, the less you need from an offense. just a couple td's and ball/field control.

Very, very true. Huskers '09 is a testament to that. Though, that offense was just plain awful while MSU's was decent last year.

Knock on wood, we typically have MSU's number every year. Even this last year's game was more than winnable had we not turned the ball over so many times.

seems like cook is a testament to msu's stout defense. the better the defense, the less you need from an offense. just a couple td's and ball/field control.

Very, very true. Huskers '09 is a testament to that. Though, that offense was just plain awful while MSU's was decent last year.

Knock on wood, we typically have MSU's number every year. Even this last year's game was more than winnable had we not turned the ball over so many times.

I think we have a plan that can pick apart MSU's defense, but we just need to not shoot ourselves in the foot.

msu is an odd team. they always seem beatable (and i always like our chances against them), but they do seem to put together good teams and even better seasons. they manage some pretty impressive wins without looking all that impressive as a team. just dominant defense and fundamental play, i suppose.

msu is an odd team. they always seem beatable (and i always like our chances against them), but they do seem to put together good teams and even better seasons. they manage some pretty impressive wins without looking all that impressive as a team. just dominant defense and fundamental play, i suppose.

It's like they have good leadership, or something.

• Fire 6

While it's true MSU had a better season last year than Nebraska has managed since probably 2001, they are also the same program that since 2006 has gone 4-8, 7-6, 9-4, 6-7, 11-2, 11-3, 7-6 and 12-1.

Certainly several impressive seasons, but they haven't been the model of consistency since Dantonio took over. And, since he did (Nov. of 2006) they've had two 7 win seasons and a 6 win season.

This is always an interesting topic for debate, though - if you look at that record for MSU since 2006, would you take that? Would you take a Rose Bowl win and conference title in exchange for three very poor seasons in the same time frame? Or, would you prefer consistency in the form of #9wins and a few conference title trips, but, no trophies?

While it's true MSU had a better season last year than Nebraska has managed since probably 2001, they are also the same program that since 2006 has gone 4-8, 7-6, 9-4, 6-7, 11-2, 11-3, 7-6 and 12-1.

Certainly several impressive seasons, but they haven't been the model of consistency since Dantonio took over. And, since he did (Nov. of 2006) they've had two 7 win seasons and a 6 win season.

This is always an interesting topic for debate, though - if you look at that record for MSU since 2006, would you take that? Would you take a Rose Bowl win and conference title in exchange for three very poor seasons in the same time frame? Or, would you prefer consistency in the form of #9wins and a few conference title trips, but, no trophies?

Three 11 win seasons, two* conference titles, a BCS bowl victory and the #3, 11 & 14 final ranking in exchange for some mediocre seasons? Yes I'd take that.

• Fire 1