BIG10 Media Days Bo Pelini

Bo-

I have work off today, so I felt like transcribing and summarizing the talking points from Bo's interview today at BIG10 media days. It is a little rough, but I tried to type as quickly as possible and get as much info. complied as I could.

Opening statements:

-Great to be back to BIG10 media days. With K. Bell, Ameer, and Cooper.

-Looking forward to the season that is coming up.

-Welcomes Maryland and Rutgers into the conference. Excited about what they bring to the conference.

-Looking forward to the upcoming season, great competition. The new divisions, exciting year in the BIG10, exciting year for Nebraska. Look for the opportunity to be the best team we can be. Great returning depth, saw a lot of young guys come of age as the season went on. Looking forward to see the young men develop, thinks we have the pieces, a lot of potential on the football team. Tried to turn over every stone to make themselves a better football team. The people that win championships are the ones who check their egos at the door.

What do you think could be done to stop recruit flipping? -"Said about 2 months ago, I believe it would be a great idea if we'd look at getting rid of signing day. I think it is something that would make a lot of sense. You come to an agreement, why do you have to wait to any certain day? Let's sign on the dotted line and move forward. I think it would change things in a lot of ways, it would change the early offers. It would change the ridiculous things that go on on both sides. I believe what we do in our program is try to teach kids to do things the right way. This isn't about any individual, it is about a team. The way the recruiting process works is contradictory to the way our program tries to teach these young men. " -Bo

How's the cat doing? Randy Gregory is getting a lot of hype. What makes him a special player? -"My cat is enjoying a nap up in the room. Randy Gregory is a tremendous talent, great instincts, great get-off. A guy who can really rush the passer. He has only scratched the surface, very good instincts for the game. The sky is the limit for him down the road. I am looking forward for big things for Randy. I tell him it isn't always about stats, it's about taking care of yourself on an every down basis. He continues to get bigger, put more meat on his frame." -Bo

-Feelings of the fans after the spring game? "I was just having some fun. Try to keep things light. The players enjoyed that. (post-spring game). There's a lot of pressure in college football now, things can get crazy during the season. People see me on the sidelines, you go out there and get upset, that isn't me all the time. As I grow as a football coach, that is something i need to grow into. My 7th season as a football coach and I keep learning. I am not that intense, competitive animal all the time. I am actually pretty laid back when I am away from the football field, even laid back at times with the football team. It isn't who I am all the time." -Bo

-What's your understanding of Maryland, the players they have, how competitive will they be? -"Not too familiar with Maryland, however, he has seen them in crossover films. It's a program that is up and coming. It has a talent base and they do a heckuva job coaching, a tremendous addition to the conference." -Bo

-Assess the state of the QB competition? -"Johnny Stanton and Fyfe will have a little bit to say about who are starting QB is. Tommy has a leg up, but Johnny and Fyfe are tremendous talents. It'll be an open competition. Tommy will walk out and take the open snap, he has earned that right. The competition will make all 3 guys betters. No one has a guaranteed spot, ever. When you are competing in a spot, worst thing you can do is compare yourself to someone else. Need to concentrate on what you are doing, it'll allow you to become a much better player. Control what you can control, be the best player you can be. There's enough trust in our program, if you are putting it on film, you'll be out there getting reps." -Bo

-The strength on D and the RBs coming back, running game be the strength? -"No, not necessarily. Need to establish running game to be a championship. You gotta be able to run the football. You have to have balance. We always talk about wanting to have balance, we've been a 60/40 run/pass team, want to get as close as 50/50. Gotta be able to execute at every phase of the game." -Bo

-The strength on D and the RBs coming back, running game be the strength? -"No, not necessarily. Need to establish running game to be a championship. You gotta be able to run the football. You have to have balance. We always talk about wanting to have balance, we've been a 60/40 run/pass team, want to get as close as 50/50. Gotta be able to execute at every phase of the game." -Bo

Darth_vader_no.gif