Starling & Harrison Baseball Stats

I don't know much about baseball stats, and even less about minor league stats. Is Bubba good, bad, average? Will he ever get a whiff of MLB?

He will get a shot. Probably a couple years in the minors first.

He was drafted in 2011 - its already been a couple of years.

I saw this on a google search - made me scratch my head - did he attend summer school?

I don't think that the Royals are getting a good return on their investment. Makes me think he might not last long as a Royal

Salary: 2.5 million USD (2012)

I don't know much about baseball stats, and even less about minor league stats. Is Bubba good, bad, average? Will he ever get a whiff of MLB?

Last month, pretty good stats, semi-hot. Until July 1st, he was a Mendoza line (.200 BA). Made big league roster? ....... 50-50 chance at best imo. Could be Brandon Weeden and Chris Weinke paths. Cornhuskers 2015 or 2016 recruiting class? .... you never know. Hey, Carl Crawford is still eligible !!

He will get a shot. Probably a couple years in the minors first.

He was drafted in 2011 - its already been a couple of years.

I saw this on a google search - made me scratch my head - did he attend summer school?

I don't think that the Royals are getting a good return on their investment. Makes me think he might not last long as a Royal

Salary: 2.5 million USD (2012)

My bad. I thought you were asking about Harrison not starling.

Doubt Bubba will get a shot. His stats in advanced A are terrible. The pitchers in A ball are still mastering their pitches which means they make a lot of mistakes and if you're a good hitter, you will have a high average. He also still has AA and AAA to conquer before the bigs. He is already 22 which is considered old for his league. MLB teams like kids that were drafted out of high school to be at AAA by 22-23 and ready for major league service by 24-25.

My guess is he will be in advanced A again next year to start season. They will not move someone up with a .224 average and little to no power. Now if he had 20+ homers and a .224 average, he might get moved up next year, but he doesn't.

Doubt Bubba will get a shot. His stats in advanced A are terrible. The pitchers in A ball are still mastering their pitches which means they make a lot of mistakes and if you're a good hitter, you will have a high average. He also still has AA and AAA to conquer before the bigs. He is already 22 which is considered old for his league. MLB teams like kids that were drafted out of high school to be at AAA by 22-23 and ready for major league service by 24-25.

My guess is he will be in advanced A again next year to start season. They will not move someone up with a .224 average and little to no power. Now if he had 20+ homers and a .224 average, he might get moved up next year, but he doesn't.

Minor disagree. Bubba showed a power hitter, at least so far. 9 home runs ... leader of Wilmington Blue Rocks, 20 doubles and 4 triples. But I agree, 22 was a little bit too old thus doubt will get a shot. After high school, he was a parallel time frame with Eric Hosmer and Mike Moustakas. Eric made KC Royals roster at age 21, Mike made Royals roster at age 22, both starters. Rookie Alex Gordon; 23 and only 1 year minors (AA Wichita).

Minor disagree. Bubba showed a power hitter, at least so far. 9 home runs ... leader of Wilmington Blue Rocks, 20 doubles and 4 triples. But I agree, 22 was a little bit too old thus doubt will get a shot. After high school, he was a parallel time frame with Eric Hosmer and Mike Moustakas. Eric made KC Royals roster at age 21, Mike made Royals roster at age 22, both starter. Rookie Alex Gordon; 23 and only 1 year minors (AA Wichita).

9 home runs in almost 400 AB is not a power hitter in MLB. His slugging percentage is only .364 and OPS .666. Those are your power stats. .700 OPS is considered average for major league players. A power hitter in the minors should be around .750-.800 since the pitching is not as good. For a CF who doesn't have high power numbers, your OBP better be pretty high. His is .302. That's bad for Single A.

Compare the slugging percentage and OPS to other power hitters in the majors and you will see his are below average.

The only chance I'm seeing for him is that his early season stats were just horrible, and for the last month or so he's been hitting over .300, and I've read that the rest of his game is solid. You can be certain that the Royals note the trend and will promote him on that if it continues into August. If for no other reason at some point it's going to be sink or swim for him with their investment. They aren't going to let him wallow in A-ball. I don't know if he plays winter ball or works out with the team somewhere or what, but he's got that time and spring training to show improvement as well. Then again, July could've just been a hot month for him that won't continue.

Also to note, there's just one hitter over .300 in the league, and the HR leader has 21. I've read elsewhere that the Carolina league has tough parks for hitters. I've thought about getting down to Lynchburg to watch him play when he's there, but never got motivated enough.

Didn't Bubba have eye surgery in the off season? Or, am I thinking of someone else?

If so, I could understand him starting off the season batting bad and then getting better as the season goes.

Also...I would be shocked if he doesn't play winter ball somewhere. Someone stuck in A ball better be playing absolutely as much as possible to improve.